• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Dillon 550

20Incher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Westchester
Well I did it.Went over to Master class in Monroe NY .I do have to say that they are very nice group of guys.Probaley the best customer service I've ever seen.The gentleman set up the machine and went over everything.I was there for about 3 1/2 hours.It was 621.00 out the door set up ready to go for 9mm with 500 heads 1000 primers 1 lb of powder.Got home and cranked out about 200 rds.

Re: Dillon 550

Good choice. Did you get the bullet tray and strong mount options? They are nice additions to my 550.

Great machine and great no BS customer service if anything goes wrong or if you need help.

great machine and congrats on the purchase, the strong mount and rolling handle are a must, in the future,though.

I love the guys at Dillon, they were a big help when ordering all my equipment (RL 550B and accessories). They even threw in a DVD to show me how to work the whole machine.

The only issue I have had thus far is the powder measure "burping" powder all over the place while I was reloading 5.56. I've never had it throw a double charge in any case, it just seemed to spew powder around on some cases.

I reckon I get to call Dillon and test their NO-BS guarantee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rockmyglock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the guys at Dillon, they were a big help when ordering all my equipment (RL 550B and accessories). They even threw in a DVD to show me how to work the whole machine.

The only issue I have had thus far is the powder measure "burping" powder all over the place while I was reloading 5.56. I've never had it throw a double charge in any case, it just seemed to spew powder around on some cases.

I reckon I get to call Dillon and test their NO-BS guarantee. </div></div>

For loading rifle cartridges, I always tap on the` case a little, to help settle the powder in the case.

I have had my 550 for 18 years. Just called Dillion to get a replacement primer feed body due to a stripped mounting screw hole...they shipped a replacement with no BS. Great loader and customer service no matter when you bought it.

Tapping the case is a great idea. I have experienced the burping problem when using extruded powders with small case necks. Dillion told me to use a ball powder but was persistent and kept using extruded. When loading rifle I treat each station as a single stage which helps the burping problem and I weigh the powder charge for each round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rockmyglock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the guys at Dillon, they were a big help when ordering all my equipment (RL 550B and accessories). They even threw in a DVD to show me how to work the whole machine.

I reckon I get to call Dillon and test their NO-BS guarantee. </div></div>

If you are using stick powder that's par for the course with 223. Even my RCBS Uniflow spills stick powder. That's why I changed to W748 for 223. No more powder spills with 223.

Someone gave me a 550B two years ago, set up for 223 and 9mm.
It sat at his house for 10 years, since a third guy died.
I have yet to load a round, and was getting nowhere.
Then I did a search for 550 on You-tube. All those videos were so inspiring, I mounted the press on my bench.

Not to hijack the post, but I get the burping problem. It seems that the case is off center and rides along the side of the die while pushing the powder funnel up and spilling all over. I have the right shell plate and buttons on for .223 cases.

Not to hijack the post, but I get the burping problem. It seems that the case is off center and rides along the side of the die while pushing the powder funnel up and spilling all over. I have the right shell plate and buttons on for .223 cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great machine and congrats on the purchase, the strong mount and rolling handle are a must, in the future,though. </div></div>
Same as I have on mine. The 550 is a great press.

Does reaming the powder funnel help at all? ie., is this an artifact of powder bridging?

If an alignment issue, make sure to blow out any grains under the edge of the shellplate, and see if it helps.

Good luck!

Congrats on your new Dillon. I have had one for years, they are great. Dillon is a "stand up" company.

Figured I'd ask the guys here since the majority of this thread seems to be dillon owners.

I currently have an RCBS rockchucker kit which has served me well for a couple thousand rounds over the past 2 years. However, I'm getting to the point where the single stage is just too slow for my .223 and 9mm loads (AR/3 gun stuff - not precision handloads by any means). I also do precision loads for .308 (using the TresMon guide with everything except for annealing, neck turning and checking for run out - a concentricity gauge will probably be in the short future).

I have no doubt I'll be able to churn out a ton of .223 and 9mm that will more than meet my expectations for that type of shooting (3 gun here is well within 100m - no long shots for .223). However, I was curious as to how good of loads I can get if I were to set up a Dillon 550 for .308 as well. I know the major challenges I'll be facing when upgrading from the single stage to the progressive are the deviations in powder throwing and sacrificing a little on consistent bullet seating depth. I shoot an AICS with a R700P factory action/barrel, so I've resorted to mag length loading at 2.810" versus ogive seating depth - no need for benchrest style QA/QC as my chamber tolerances are too far on the safe side and I shoot 99% steel (lucked out with Fort Campbell having a phenomenal POW range as far as posts go). If I use the Dillon 550 for resizing, do my part with regard to case prep and sorting, then go back to priming, powder throwing and bullet seating with the 550 will I experience results that are not too far off of the single stage method where every charge is weighed and I check each COAL? Or in your experience would I be better off just keeping the RCBS kit for my .308 loads?

Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CardiacKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Figured I'd ask the guys here since the majority of this thread seems to be dillon owners.

I currently have an RCBS rockchucker kit which has served me well for a couple thousand rounds over the past 2 years. However, I'm getting to the point where the single stage is just too slow for my .223 and 9mm loads (AR/3 gun stuff - not precision handloads by any means). I also do precision loads for .308 (using the TresMon guide with everything except for annealing, neck turning and checking for run out - a concentricity gauge will probably be in the short future).

I have no doubt I'll be able to churn out a ton of .223 and 9mm that will more than meet my expectations for that type of shooting (3 gun here is well within 100m - no long shots for .223). However, I was curious as to how good of loads I can get if I were to set up a Dillon 550 for .308 as well. I know the major challenges I'll be facing when upgrading from the single stage to the progressive are the deviations in powder throwing and sacrificing a little on consistent bullet seating depth. I shoot an AICS with a R700P factory action/barrel, so I've resorted to mag length loading at 2.810" versus ogive seating depth - no need for benchrest style QA/QC as my chamber tolerances are too far on the safe side and I shoot 99% steel (lucked out with Fort Campbell having a phenomenal POW range as far as posts go). If I use the Dillon 550 for resizing, do my part with regard to case prep and sorting, then go back to priming, powder throwing and bullet seating with the 550 will I experience results that are not too far off of the single stage method where every charge is weighed and I check each COAL? Or in your experience would I be better off just keeping the RCBS kit for my .308 loads?

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Hey Cardiac!

Hey I have my vintage original Dillon that has been updated to RL550B specs dedicated to reload for loading high precision .308Win rounds. It sounds crazy but having essentially four presses in one is hard to beat. I use a Redding Competition Bushing Neck die in the first position setup to decap, perform the first and largest neck size and prime. In the second position in place of the powder measure I have a Redding Type S Match Bushing/Full Length sizing die used to set the shoulder where I need it for particular rifles I reload for and to put the last gentle squeeze on the neck. In the third position I have a Redding Instant Comparator to verify the base to should DL and/or base to ogive height and in the last position I have a Redding Competition Bullet seater.

Here is what I do with fired brass that has previously been primer pocket uniformed and flash hole deburred abd uniformed. I'm switching over to ultrasonic but this is has until now been the routine. More than likely all that will change is that I'll decap the fired brass then dump them in the ultrasonic cleaner then off to the frist station of the Dillon with no decap performed.

My loading work flow might sound sort of crazy but works pretty well for no turn hand loads. Fired brass is dumped straight into a vibe cleaner. The cleaned and inspected brass gets checked for length, if the case needs trimming I set it aside for trimming and deburring then slipstream them back into the brass being loaded. If the case is O.K. the brass is then put into the first Dillon RL550B station where it is decapped, neck sized and primed. I like Imperial wax as a lube, great stuff!

Next the case goes to the Dillon's second station where a Redding Type S Match Bushing/FL sizing die full length sizes and final neck sizes the case. Then I index the case to the Redding instant comparator for a quick check of the shoulder height. From the comparator station I pull the cases and put them into a loading block for powder charging.

I use a Hornady electronic powder dispenser. I powder charge the cases and return them to the third station (where I have setup the Redding Instant comparator for ogive measurement) and then index them to the Redding Competition Bullet seater for the appropriate projectile. From there I reverse index the loaded round back to the Redding Instant Indicator and confirm ogive height and pull the loaded round out of the press and back to another loading block waiting for a quick wipe and final visual inspection before they go into a marked case with the round information.

It seems like a lot of work but I know that every loaded round is perfectly sized for the headspace of my rifle and the bullet will have the same jump to the lands. This means my brass will grow minimally and that the accurately and consistently scaled powder charge will produce consistent pressure due to precise case length, consistent bullet seating depth and the consistent case volume they produce. Also the case neck tension on the bullet is consistent as is bullet jump. All of these things make for repeatable projectile placement once you find the best node and jump for your rifle chamber and bullet.

It's not exactly the way the manual says to do it but you would be amazed at how well a basically off the shelf rifle can be made to shoot by hand-loading for that particular rifle using a Dillion progressive press.

Oh yeah, it works like crazy for handloading for pistols too. Just pop out the two pins and swap out the tool head with your pistol setup and you can be back in business loading pistol ammo in minutes. The Dillon is pretty fast and loads pistol ammo very well too.

HTH!

Edit: Another thought, mount the Rock Chucker and install a Lee universal decaping die to quickly decap fired cases before ultrasonic cleaning.

Reaming it is the trick to prevent the back flowing of stick powder in 223 rounds. Most ace hardwares have a 1/8 x 1/2" tapered reamer that works perfectly .... I load 223 with a 550 from start to finish.

Another good thing is to disassemble the auto powder assembly right down to the al funnel. Take some flitz or equivalent and polish the interior funnel portion with a dremel. Use a cloth wheel ... It will polish the al to a mirror finish. 20 minute job tops.

23 grains of varget every time ...

Thanks for the detailed info guys - you cleared up any worries I had about using the Dillon for my .308 loads. I'm definitely saving this thread for when I get the 550. I'm really just getting into the high end precision stuff like Redding so I have a lot of reading/research to do on the bushing dies and instant comparator, etc. (I use the sinclair caliper mounted ones now - didn't know anyone made an actual die that does that).

SND: With regard to reaming, I have only handled the RCBS uniflow powder measure so I am unfamiliar with exactly how the Dillon works (haven't held it and I'm a visual guy). I take it what you're describing is reaming/chamfering the area where the powder sits after falling through the funnel? IE, on the RCBS it would be the hole where the powder sits in that black hockey-puck looking thing and on the Dillon it's a charge bar? Never thought of reaming and polishing but it makes perfect sense for the stick/extruded powders and I'm sure it would be just a small added performance measure for others. I load Hodgdon 335 for my .223s so I never had a major issue with metering the ball powder.

YAOG: I'm not sure what type of budget you have to work with, but I went the US cleaner way and about 2 weeks later bit the bullet on the stainless tumbling stuff that Terry (suasponte) came up with. It ended up running about $175 for the tumbler off of eBay and then another $50 for the media (plus $10 or so for the dish soap and lemishine) but it's worth every penny. The US cleaning I found just took too much effort (using the avg consumer model stuff from Harbor Freight versus a commercial one with a long timer, etc. anyway) and it always seemed like a science experiment trying to balance the right amount of distilled water, vinegar, suspending the brass in a beaker, etc.
Thanks again for the detail on describing the work flow for each tool head - it will serve as a road map while I figure out exactly what I need. I figured I'd keep the RCBS Rockchucker as a standalone de-primer as well. I picked up the Lee Decapper Die a while back and after seeing how clean I can keep the rest of my dies and setup by decapping, cleaning up and then doing everything else it's a no-brainer with an investment like the Dillon. Now if I could only find a good way to catch the spent primers off of the rockchucker like others have done with tubing on the Dillon I'd be set, haha.

Thanks again for your help.

Like Greg said, I've had mine since the early 90's and it's never missed a beat. Wouldn't trade it for any other press out there. I can't count high enough to know how many rounds of 308 and 223 my blue press has produced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought mine used in the early '90's. Still my only press. </div></div>

I bought my Dillon direct back when the Dillon progressive presses were suspect products possibly made by hippies in Arizona and a work in progress in early '80's. I called them up to order one and they were the nicest people so I bought one of their special Deluxe all inclusive package deals for a whopping $129! I can't even remember what it was called back then but it was the little blue one. Since then my little blue Dillon progressive press has cranked out many thousands of rounds in .38, .357, 9mm, .45ACP, .223 and .308Win. with few problems that I didn't create. Each time I had a problem or thought I needed the latest update Dillon happily repaired, replaced or sold me stuff to solve my problem and it worked every time.

My little blue Dillon press has been updated several times over the years and was also sent back and rebuilt and updated to the then current RL550B specs by Dillon a little over 10 years ago. The press is pretty much RL550B spec in terms of the stuff I have sitting in boxes but the basic press is still pretty much the same and all I really use currently. Factory loaded pistol ammo and local reloads have gotten so inexpensive I can't afford to reload pistol calibers anymore.

If you want to buy one press ONCE and get decades of work and service or support with a smile Dillon Precision and their people are the best. Sure a single stage press may be a handy thing to have once in a while but as a primary press Dillon Precision progressives are very versatile, fast loading machines.

I've been reloading my own ammo for well over 15 years and I do agree that some reloads are pretty cheap these days. That said; I absolutely will not shoot anything reloaded unless I did it myself or it was done by a reputable ammo mfg. (Black Hill's or the like) and here's the reason. About 15 years ago a friend bought a brand new Colt 1911, his good friend that was an expert reloader fixed him up with some 45 ACP and the first time he fired it, it blew the slide off and hit him in the face. The so called expert told him that he started with the max loads and worked UP from there. Needless to say, Colt told him to kiss off about the warranty. That's just my two cents worth on using stuff that others load. My old Dillon has never failed me yet!

Shortly after buying mine, it became the team/club press for roughly a dozen shooters, rifle and pistol; most of whom were handloading beginners. It got a high pressure workout for 6-7 years. I moved upstate NY and they replaced it with an XL650. I think they sometimes miss the 550.

One of the habits we developed was to do brass processing in bulk, up to and including repriming, so brass became a staple resource. Something we'd take turns doing over a few beers on a Friday/Sunday evening. Charge and seat was the routine after that; each shooter according to their preferred recipe. The trip home from the range always ended with the brass going into the tumbler before we went our separate ways.

The powder funnel is the part below the powder bar. Powder gets metered, drops out of the powder bar and into the funnel. The funnel directs the powder into the cartridge. I have a sketch on my work laptop ... If you want, I'll ship it to you via email. One you see the powder funnel (pn 13426), you'll get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the habits we developed was to do brass processing in bulk, up to and including repriming, so brass became a staple resource. Something we'd take turns doing over a few beers on a Friday/Sunday evening. Charge and seat was the routine after that; each shooter according to their preferred recipe. The trip home from the range always ended with the brass going into the tumbler before we went our separate ways.</div></div>

I use my Dillon in a similar way for 223 reloads. I decap in bulk using a Dillon universal decapping die, then tumble clean. I have a TH set up with a resizing die and I resize in bulk. Then tumble clean. Then my brass is ready to go. When I need ammo just run it through the press (with the universal decapping die in station 1 to remove any media stuck in the flash hole). I was thinking of skipping the decap before tumbling to save a step, and do the decapping when I resize, though I felt that decapping first gets the flash holes cleaned.

That's pretty much the same way I do my brass, I clean it, re-size it, clean the primer pockets, tumble it again then prime, charge and seat the bullet. It's worked for me for over 15 years and it's produced some really accurate loads. You can't beat a Dillon and their warranty is second to none. One more note, you can go to Pet Smart and get ground walnut shells that they use in bird cages and it's a lot cheaper than buying from gun dealers and does just as good a job.

One more short note like someone else said earlier, the strong mount and extra bullet trays are well worth the money. The strong mount puts the press up higher and easier to work with and is strong as a heck

I tumble with the old primers still in. I don't clean flash holes.

I have the mounts and tray. I think it's a necessity.