Dillon progressive purchase advice needed

reubenski

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Jun 8, 2008
To
That is exactly why I put an autodrive on one of my 1100s.

I run all my brass through it and get the FL resizing done at around 2,000 cases per hour while I am doing something else. Just having that one step done makes loading ammo so much easier.

I have been loading long range ammo on a 550 progressive for 15+ years. I dont use the Dillon powder measure, I use a Prometheus or an autotrickler. But every time I pull the handle a loaded round comes out the other side.

A lightly tuned Dillon powder measure will throw pistol powders like Titegroup and Bullseye to within 0.04 of where I want it. A tuned Dillon measure will also throw big kernels like Varget to within a tenth or two.

The 550 will have better shoulder bump consistency and seat depth consistency than the 750/650/1050 family because of the way the shell plates are made.

My 550 loads everything from 17 Mach IV to 338 Lapua.
Ya, I load all my precision rifle ammo on a 550 now. And I size all my brass on either it or the 650. My single stage press pretty much just holds a universal decapping die or collet puller.

impactaddict

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Texas Hill Country
A lightly tuned Dillon powder measure will throw pistol powders like Titegroup and Bullseye to within 0.04 of where I want it. A tuned Dillon measure will also throw big kernels like Varget to within a tenth or two.

Can you talk more about this tuning? I have the armanov dial, seems to help but is there something I’m missing?

Ape_Factory

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
I pretty much did everything in the video above EXCEPT for the vibration device. Threw my VV pistol powder fine but not H110. Maybe I could have tweaked it a bit more and experimented but I threw a bit of coin at it instead. I did a full disassembly manual mirror polish on all of the components other than the powder slide bar as I didn't want to change any critical dimensions and cause leakage with the finer powders.

For whatever reason, I've found better headspace consistency on my 750 when processing 300 blackout than on a single stage RCBS. I did move away from One Shot case lube to lanolin/alcohol so that may be a contributing factor. I think on a completely stock 750, this might not be the case. But with the honed plate, locked tool head and careful tuning, it was spot on for 1500 cases I just processed.

One question...how are you all "belling" the 300 blackout cases? I'm using a Century21 mandrel and it does not have the range to adjust enough to accomplish that in the Dillon. It'll bottom out on the shell plate well before the case will touch the top of the mandrel where it starts to flare out a bit.

reubenski

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Jun 8, 2008
To
It's the powder thru die insert in the Dillon powder measure. Like it does for pistol loading. Dillon has a.30 cal belling insert.
Screenshot_20220724-130916~2.png
Screenshot_20220724-130946~2.png