• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dillon XL650 Vs Hornady LnL Vs RCBS 2000

Re: Dillon XL650 Vs Hornady LnL Vs RCBS 2000

up from the dead....

Any updates on these presses? Does the LNL still have primer feeding problems?
I'm really considering a progresive press (only been doing single stage)- and I would switch between calibers a lot - which has me leaning toward the LNL.
I'd be loading 30-06, 308, 223, 243, 9mm and 45acp.

Yes, the LNL still sucks. Primer seating is unbelievably bad. I just wasted 3 weeks and several hundred dollars figuring that out, only to finally end up with a Dillon 650.

Parker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blacktaco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">up from the dead....

Any updates on these presses? Does the LNL still have primer feeding problems?
I'm really considering a progresive press (only been doing single stage)- and I would switch between calibers a lot - which has me leaning toward the LNL.
I'd be loading 30-06, 308, 223, 243, 9mm and 45acp.
</div></div>

Dillon would be your best bet, if you need a more budget friendly solution I'd look at a turret press such as the classic cast turret press by Lee, I have one and love it.

Thank you guys very much. If I didn't do the LNL - I'd lean toward the Dillon 550B because it's a simpler system from what I understand. Do you beleive that would best suit me?
I spend most of my time reloading .308 for accuracy - I guess I would continue doing this on my single stage press though.

I would do possibly 1000 rounds a month of .223. Then a few batches every 6 months of 2K .243, 2K 30.06, 2k .303 brit, 45 ACP and 9mm.
From what I understand, the Dillon 650 is a more complicated system. I do not have a very big reloading bench due to losing my gun room to a new addition to the family soon. I can't do the 650 with casefeeder - as I don't have room. Thoughts?

for that quantity i would say Hornady, the 550b i believe is manual indexing? (correct me if I'm wrong) I own a Hornady LNL AP and i can easily load 300-400 and hour(without case feeder) once all my components are set up and ready. I think its pretty simply but i am an industrial mechanic so my view may be skewed.

I have a LnL AP that came without a case feeder... got that added on, upgraded the sub-plate to the new EZject system... f'ing case feed never has worked right with .223 Rem, the one caliber I really bought it for. Priming system is mickey-f'ing mouse at best. The concept of a solid frame and individually quick-removable dies plus the half-notch rotation between strokes are all great; just never could get the whole system to work properly - and I've been fiddling with it off and on for a couple years.

My 550 that I have has never had that kind of problem. True, I had some issues with primer feeding, but that was traced back to user-error - overtightening the screws holding the primer feed assembly to the frame causing the aluminum part to bulge and distort, there by hanging up the primer slide intermittently. Once the problem was located, a couple quick licks with a file and making sure to not gorilla-tight things that don't really need it and the problem has never returned.

I'm not sure a 550 would be that bad off for what you're describing... depending on whether you're talking 'precision' ammo or 'hunting/plinking' ammo - lots more case prep for the former, and the 550 basically turns into an over-grown turret press as all the cases end up going thru at least a couple times. If the latter... you should be able to do what you want with a few long weekends now and again.

The 550B is manul index - and since I'm new to reloading, I almost think that this is the way to go. Of course - unless you all disagree.
smile.gif

ETA - well, just read more and it looks like the 650 can be switched to manual index in about 10 seconds. Hmm. This is tough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a LnL AP that came without a case feeder... got that added on, upgraded the sub-plate to the new EZject system... f'ing case feed never has worked right with .223 Rem, the one caliber I really bought it for. Priming system is mickey-f'ing mouse at best. The concept of a solid frame and individually quick-removable dies plus the half-notch rotation between strokes are all great; just never could get the whole system to work properly - and I've been fiddling with it off and on for a couple years.

My 550 that I have has never had that kind of problem. True, I had some issues with primer feeding, but that was traced back to user-error - overtightening the screws holding the primer feed assembly to the frame causing the aluminum part to bulge and distort, there by hanging up the primer slide intermittently. Once the problem was located, a couple quick licks with a file and making sure to not gorilla-tight things that don't really need it and the problem has never returned.

I'm not sure a 550 would be that bad off for what you're describing... depending on whether you're talking 'precision' ammo or 'hunting/plinking' ammo - lots more case prep for the former, and the 550 basically turns into an over-grown turret press as all the cases end up going thru at least a couple times. If the latter... you should be able to do what you want with a few long weekends now and again. </div></div>
Thanks for your input! The precision loads for the .308 I'll still do on a single stage. All the remaining calibers would be hunting/plinking.

From what I understand, the LNL can use the same powder drop for all calibers. But the Dillon 650 is a PITA to swap out between calibers, so I'd need multiple powder drops - and more expensive shell plates. Is that correct?
Also, can I still use my Forster and RCBS dies in the 650?
I'd switch between calibers frequently. So the easier this could be done - the better. And no - I can't afford 5 X 650's for each caliber.
smile.gif

I use a Dillon XL650...caliber changes are not hard...maybe 10 min but I have an dedicated powder measure for each setup so I don't have to mess with it at changeover.

If you are doing volume, the 650 is the way to go otherwise the 550 is a fine unit.

Mantenance is the key. I clean and lube every caliber change and mine runs really smooth on various pistol and 223.

Oh man.
frown.gif

My cart for the Dillon 650 at Brian Enos is nearly $900.00 with barely anything in it.
My cart for the LNL at Cabelas is $527.00 - and that's with shellplates and bushings.
After adding the Dillon conversion kits - the Dillon will be over double what the LNL costs. And I still get $165 in free bullets going the LNL route.
frown.gif

Is the Dillon really 50% better? I might gamble.

LNL is hobby grade. It feels cheap, sloppy, and poorly designed.

Dillon is commercial grade. It feels sturdy, solid, and well-made.

You pay to play.

Parker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasClassIII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LNL is hobby grade. It feels cheap, sloppy, and poorly designed.

Dillon is commercial grade. It feels sturdy, solid, and well-made.

You pay to play.

Parker </div></div>

The only ammo I care to be loaded to exact specifications is my .308 - which I'll be using the single stage for and wouldn't load on a progressive.
If the LNL only produces hobby grade quality - that is fine with me. It will be the plinking ammo machine.

Just got a LnL. Very easy to set up. I like it much more than the 550 i had before.

The 650 makes ammo much, MUCH easier than the LNL.

Seating a primer is just part of the process of a Dillon.

On a LNL it was a monumental, extreme-exertion task. And I'm not unique on this, from what I've heard from a retailer who had numerous returns for this reason. There's just too much slop in the shellplate and not enough leverage.

I find I load ammo MUCH faster on a 650 than I did on the LNL.

Parker

I'm one of the "other" since the Dillon 550 isn't listed.

I prefer the 550 over the 650 as it's easier to load semi-progressive with to me for precision ammo.

I have a friend with the 650 but his preference is always my 550 for the long-line ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rotts4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Hornady is closer than I thought in the poll</div></div>

That's likely only due to marketing and price.

I find it very difficult to believe that almost anyone with time behind both a hornady LNL and a Dillon would choose the LNL. The only advantage is price and a tad big quicker (maybe, but not much) on the caliber changes.

Parker

I love my LnL but that's because it was and has been my first and only progressive press. If I had the money I'd buy a 650 just to be able to compare the two.

My only complaint thus far on my Lnl after having it for about 4 years now is the primer seating system. It seems that every time I load I spend more time monkeying with that than I do actually pulling the lever. I have been through probably three primer bars now and several of the springs on the primer shuttle.