• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Direct to Consumer Scopes?

missin44

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2022
Colorado, USA
I've recently been looking at optics for longe range shooting. I've come across a couple of manufacturers that only sell directly to consumers, Tract, and Maven. Both companies focus their marketing on value for money. My question, in practice, is this true? Does a $1700 Maven/Tract scope really give you more than a $1700 Votex/Leupold/etc?

Welcome to the Hide. I hope you aren't posting on behalf of either of those companies.

You won't get a scientifically reliable answer without having a batch (manufactured at different times) tested for tracking and durability. I am unaware of any such testing having been done on them. But products that are exceptional values tend to get identified pretty quickly and known widely in the shooting community. And Tract/Maven have never come up in the groups I am familiar with.

The truth is that in the $1,700 price point, most of what is sold across manufacturers is very similar in quality. You aren't likely get something consistently or significantly above anything in that price point from any manufacturer until you spend at least double that. So, at that price point, I would tend to go with a well-established company that will back up their product.

The only two optic manufacturers I can think of that punch above their price points are SWFA and Athalon.

I've recently been looking at optics for longe range shooting. I've come across a couple of manufacturers that only sell directly to consumers, Tract, and Maven. Both companies focus their marketing on value for money. My question, in practice, is this true? Does a $1700 Maven/Tract scope really give you more than a $1700 Votex/Leupold/etc?
Arken Optics also sells direct to consumer. So does SWFA.

Welcome to the Hide. I hope you aren't posting on behalf of either of those companies.

You won't get a scientifically reliable answer without having a batch (manufactured at different times) tested for tracking and durability. I am unaware of any such testing having been done on them. But products that are exceptional values tend to get identified pretty quickly and known widely in the shooting community. And Tract/Maven have never come up in the groups I am familiar with.

The truth is that in the $1,700 price point, most of what is sold across manufacturers is very similar in quality. You aren't likely get something consistently or significantly above anything in that price point from any manufacturer until you spend at least double that. So, at that price point, I would tend to go with a well-established company that will back up their product.

The only two optic manufacturers I can think of that punch above their price points are SWFA and Athalon.
Nope, not posting on behalf of them. Those were just a couple I saw during my research. They seem to be nice scopes, as are most in that price range.

If they meet your performance, reliability, and warranty standards, they should be great.

If they don't, compare and see if the non direct brands do.

Dunno about tract but Maven makes a nice product. I’ve looked through their binos and shot a bit with their scopes. If vortex is what you want, fine but you won’t get hurt by Maven.

It has been a long time since SWFA punched above their price point. Everyone thought Athlon did until they tested the tracking on their Gen 1 Cronus. Funny they considered tracking error greater than what the TX5 had acceptable and got a free pass. Most of us remember the shit show that ensued when the TX5 tracked a little fast.

I have the Maven rangefinder and it's it pretty friggin' awesome for the $450 or so I paid for it.

Just saying.

Compared to what?
Call me crazy, but I'd put it up there with the Leica rangemaster series. The glass is actually really, really good for the money. It's Japanese and on par with my LOW scopes. I've never actually taken the time to do a side by side, scientific test so take it with a grain of salt. I don't shoot past a mile, so I can't confirm accuracy beyond that point, but it handles a mile easily and checks out with the KD targets provided by my local range through that distance. I bet it's got a whole lot more juice left.

It's simple, accurate and clear. I definitely like it better than the Sig 2400BDX I was using beforehand.

Come on man, the guy's budget is $1700 and considering higher end brands. No need to shill Chinese budget Arken in here.
He asked about which companies are direct-to-consumer scope companies. I named 2 of them... Nobody's shilling a goddman thing, and I didn't tell him to buy anything, or even mention anything about the products. All I did was name 2 companies that sell direct. Fuck off with that shit.

He asked about which companies are direct-to-consumer scope companies. I named 2 of them... Nobody's shilling a goddman thing, and I didn't tell him to buy anything, or even mention anything about the products. All I did was name 2 companies that sell direct. Fuck off with that shit.
Yep you're right, I apologize. It's completely relevant to suggest Arken as a possible option when considering $1700 optics.

Yep you're right, I apologize. It's completely relevant to suggest Arken as a possible option when considering $1700 optics.
And so is constantly making stupid comments and bashing and hating on a company over a $500 scope that you got a full refund on. 🙄 Makes perfectly logical and mentally healthy sense to constantly bitch about something that ended up costing you nothing out of pocket.

It is completely relevant when he asked about straight-to-consumer optics companies and then someone mentioned Athlon. They have budget options, as well. So don’t even try to act like my mentions (not suggestions) weren’t relevant to the topic at hand.

Thanks for the comments, it seems that what you get at a given price point is pretty much equal across the board. If there is a value advantage in direct-to-consumer it's pretty slim.

I was in a similar spot to the OP and ended up with a Cronus BTR II. Although I was a bit hesitant on the no locking/capped turrets, after receiving the scope it's likely a non-issue (until I hoof around with it anyway).

Take a look at the reticles, eyebox , the turret design, weight, etc. I was looking at the same scopes brands (plus a few more) and prioritized a few things to help me narrow my decision.

Also take a look at Meopta who also goes direct to consumer. I believe they use European glass and are very affordable. I have an Optika6 3-18 w/MRAD RD reticle and it's a fantastic scope with very clear glass for under $1K and lots of reticle choices. I almost pulled the trigger on the Optika6 5-30 but decided I liked the turret markings a bit more on the Cronus and the glass received great reviews. I didn't pay a ton of attention to physical size but the Cronus came in slightly smaller than the Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 which was a surprise. Haven't shot it yet, still waiting to sort a barrel issue for the rifle it'll be mounted on.