• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Direction of Bipod

Shortrangelong

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
Firstly, this is my first post and I’m just starting to dabble in precision shooting. I recently purchased a Rem 700 in 7mm Re Mag. It will be a dual gun, hunting and distance, until I can afford another rifle. My question may be naive but which way is the correct way to mount the bipod? Legs forward or back when closed?

Reactions: christopher.dow
Don't feel bad. I actually installed mine the wrong way on my first rifle and shot it like that until someone told me it was wrong.

That makes sense thinking about it. I think what threw me off, as dumb as this sounds, is that in movies they seem to always fold back.

With Harris type bipods the legs fold forward. With many other designs (like the Atlas) they can go either way. With those I prefer to keep them folded backwards when not in use since they seem to catch on stuff a little less that way.

ILya

Reactions: Gohring65
Easy mistake to make. At least you asked.

I can't tell you how many times I have run across people using a cantilevered scope mount mounted backwards and being adamant about it being correct

Reactions: trob_205
Thanks for the feedback guys. I turned by Harris bipod around and fortunately didn't make an a** of myself yet at the range....keyword yet :ROFLMAO:
I would like to update this thread by injecting with my newly purchased Thunder beast bi pod. It locks in place and I have mine folding back. After all didn't they learn in the jungles about the open ended flash suppressor that snagged on everything. With the legs folded back you have less opportunity to snag on anything. Now I can see pro and cons to both ways. I love options!

My question is different ... which way is better when "shooting" with a bipod? Canted forward, canted backwards, or not canted and perpendicular to the rifle? And why?

Reactions: graywulf
I cant it forward if I need lower height than perpendicular. I also go forward if there is enough room to move the pivot point further out which is more stable.

My question is different ... which way is better when "shooting" with a bipod? Canted forward, canted backwards, or not canted and perpendicular to the rifle? And why?
A common technique is to "load" the bipod by leaning into the rifle to generate spring tension in the setup. So most of the time, that mandates forward canted or perpendicular legs. It is also why you see spiked feet for digging in, or strips for the feet to stop against.

Last edited:
A common technique is to "load" the bipod by leaning into the rifle to generate spring tension in the setup. So most of the time, that mandates forward canted or perpendicular legs. It is also why you see spiked feet for digging in, or strips for the feet to stop against.
My present bipod is the only experience using one. Didn't solve the problem of shooting accurately without strapping in. Not as simply as I thought it would be anyway. I've tried loading it, seems I'm satisfied 50% of the time with the results, I don't want to have to depend on the ability to load it. I'm sure I need more practice to get proficient. I'm just as satisfied with how I hold weapon and position it in my shoulder. If the recoil doesn't move off my target and I can do a quick follow up shot with minimal adjustment, results have been excellent. I just use the pod to hold the muzzle up. Please tell me if I'm full of it.

With Harris type bipods the legs fold forward. With many other designs (like the Atlas) they can go either way. With those I prefer to keep them folded backwards when not in use since they seem to catch on stuff a little less that way.

ILya
I find they give me more room in my safe around my objective bells on my scopes if I get a bipod that can fold back.

… After all didn't they learn in the jungles about the open ended flash suppressor that snagged on everything.

This is actually a myth. You can try it yourself and see.

Bend a blade of grass, piece of reed or root, etc to make a loop. Now try several times to snag it in an open tine flash hider while walking. Actually try. It’s almost impossible. What happened on most of your tries? That’s right, you snagged it with the whole barrel, or the front sight, or the flashlight, or, or, or.

Carrying your gun in a way that snags jungle debris in open tines will snag the whole gun countless times per tine snag. It’s just not a thing.

Obviously not a super critical point, but I’ve run across this particular urban legend a few times recently and figured I’d mention it.

Bipod legs pointing forward might be big enough and low enough to make a bigger difference in snag rate, so I’d probably agree with your concern there.