• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing disappointed with 7mm08

startrek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2008
lexington,nc
I just bough a remington 700 bdl in 7mm08 because I like the cartridge, light recoil,highly accurate and very efficent. I handloaded 42.5 grs of Varget with 140 Nosler combined technology ballistic silvertips with BR2 primer for around 2850 fps.It shoots 1/2" at 100 yards, I have the trajectory taped to my stock to 500 yards. My 1st deer was shot at 308 yards, the deer fell in it's tracks and got back up with very little blood trail and never found it after searching for 2 hours, the next deer was shot at 288 yards, the bullet hit exactly where I was aiming, 6 inches below the deers back just above the heart and deer ran 25 yards, that's ok but the bullet went in and our with no expansion. Now I have changed to 139 hr hornady SST with the same load. You think I will have better sucess with the SST over the combined tech bullet? I have killed over 30 deer and have never lost one until now and it really bothers me.

Re: disappointed with 7mm08

The cartridge is not to blame, it's either you or the bullet, and I would try bullets before you go changing yourself...

This is the exact reason that i hunt with a 300 winmag. whatever you hit goes right the F down and stays down

Reactions: Mendoza0311

From your description I would guess that you likely creased the first deer across the back which could cause it to drop and then recover with only a superficial wound.

Your second deer that only traveled 25 yards after being hit is hardly a failure in my opinion. I routinely see them travel that and more when hit well with any of the common calibers out there including the 300 win mag.

Varget,the NBT and the Boob yanking the trigger are all culprits...in no particular order.

I think personally both of those bullets may come apart to easily, though, at those distances that shouldn't really be an issue

see if your gun likes the 140 Accubond, they work PERFECT in my 280AI on deer and hogs

having said that, if I was running a 708 I would be running the 120 TTSX as fast as I could push them accurately

NBT - that is the bad thing right there. Ought to be the NDG - No Damn Good!

Saw a VERY Expensive Sheep wounded with those - 300 WSM. Bullet hit the shoulder, right spot, good shooter. Bullet came apart, when animal was recovered a week later ( seven days hard hunting, kudos to the man who stayed with it, and put a killing shot in it ) there where fragments all the up to the jaw line.

I also shot a pig with one of these in 300 WM, penciled thru the head, killed the pig, but very poor action. Got five boxes of them for anyone that promises NOT to use them on game!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the exact reason that i hunt with a 300 winmag. whatever you hit goes right the F down and stays down </div></div>

I'd probably go with a 338 Ultra.

In fairness I've more than a "few" 7-08's,more than a "few" 300's and a 338Ultra of course.

You can't tote enough headstamp to overcome poor bullets or poor placement.

7mm-08 is an exceptional deer cartridge. I don't care for ballistic tips to hunt with. I switched from Hornady BTSP last yr to Barnes TTSX bullets and had great success. Not saying a deer I killed I could not have killed with the Hornady bullets but I did have one fail couple yrs ago and found the deer 3 days later just cause I knew I did not miss. Regardless of the bullet, Placement is the key to killing deer.

With placement and impact speed a given...bullets matter MUCH.

Hint.

I've witnessed (in a two day span if you can believe it) two elk shot with 338 Ultra and 250 grain Swift A Frames. Both dropped in their tracks, both were presumed dead, and both got away never to be found. Sad but true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the exact reason that i hunt with a 300 winmag. whatever you hit goes right the F down and stays down </div></div>

+1 on that! I have never lost an animal with my 300WM.

The cartridge is not to blame, it's either you or the bullet, and I would try bullets before you go changing yourself...

I have no problem puting a bullet where it needs to go, I have always shot a 300 wm or a 7mm STW before I bought the 7mm08, I am beginning to believe there is no substitute for velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ctsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've witnessed (in a two day span if you can believe it) two elk shot with 338 Ultra and 250 grain Swift A Frames. Both dropped in their tracks, both were presumed dead, and both got away never to be found. Sad but true. </div></div>

Swifts A-Frames are junk. Their S2's a more sound choice,yet a heavy concession.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no problem puting a bullet where it needs to go, I have always shot a 300 wm or a 7mm STW before I bought the 7mm08, I am beginning to believe there is no substitute for velocity. </div></div>

IMPACT velocity differences between the 300Winnie and 7-08 are dick.

The STW is far too long in COAL to shine,though I've shot it more than a bunch. Feel free to cite your favorite loads for the trio,if only for laughs.

I don't have near the experience most of the hunters do on here, but I did figure out early on that bullet speed and performance (assuming proper shot placement) is extremely important, and not all bullets are created equal. I switched to nosler partition some time ago after losing animals wth other bullets. Been very satisfied since. Don't blame the caliber.

The NPT is another POS,both in terminal affects and flight characteristics.

Hint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no problem puting a bullet where it needs to go, I have always shot a 300 wm or a 7mm STW before I bought the 7mm08, I am beginning to believe there is no substitute for velocity. </div></div>

IMPACT velocity differences between the 300Winnie and 7-08 are dick.

The STW is far too long in COAL to shine,though I've shot it more than a bunch. Feel free to cite your favorite loads for the trio,if only for laughs. </div></div>

I shoot 78 grs of RL22 with a 165 Sierra HPBT gameking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the exact reason that i hunt with a 300 winmag. whatever you hit goes right the F down and stays down </div></div>. No headstamp or supermag will make up for poor placement or otherwise. If you hit them right with most bullets they will go down. Everything I've ever hit properly has gone down, regardless of bullet performance (fail to expand,come apart, ect.) I've shot plenty of big game with "substandard" match bullets, as well as "too small" bullets, they all worked fine. Placement, bullet construction, caliber/cartridge, in that order.

Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, 300wm, 3006, 308, 44 mag 50 ml, 12 gauge 00, etc. Heck they all work if you put them where they belong. Placement is the key. 6 inches below the back, 2/3 of the way up on a deer, seems to be a little high for my taste. I prefer to aim low, 1/3 up on a deer. Placement trumps all.

Sugar,

The POS 165SGK in both versions(HPBT/SPT),is hardly unknown to me and you cite a "whopping" 3200fps muzzle velocity for your .363BC Goat Fuck.

You'd do well NOT to run it against a 22" SAAMI 7-08 squirting the .625BC 162A-Max at 2700fps.

Hint.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 7MM08, as the 35+ deer I've killed with one would attest. I shoot "old timey" bullets (Speer 130 BTSP)thru a short barreled Model 7 at much lower velocities than all you boys fast-ass magnums. DRT is the story. Never lost an animal.

Shot placement trumps everything of course

Deer aren't hard to kill, a 243 and any 80g softpoint put in the vitals or neck will easily klll any whitetail on the planet.

Bigger guns extend the distance increase the marrgin of error.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sugar,

The POS 165SGK in both versions(HPBT/SPT),is hardly unknown to me and you cite a "whopping" 3200fps muzzle velocity for your .363BC Goat Fuck.

You'd do well NOT to run it against a 22" SAAMI 7-08 squirting the .625BC 162A-Max at 2700fps.

Hint. </div></div>

Your attitude leaves a lot to be desired, I am talking about hunting not 1000 yards paper punching.

120TSX @ 3100 might make ya smile???

No shit

I have a buddy who looks at everything from a 1000 yards steel perspective and if it does not work well for that it is crap

High BC bullets dont matter to 99.9% of the hunters in the world who consider 300 yards a LONG shot.

I shoot the 150 gr Barnes TSX in my 30.06 at 2750 fps and have had good results over the past 2 years. 2 deer made it less than 10 yards with heart & lung hits. 1 tough buck made it about 75 yards on a double lung shot.

There are plenty of other success stories with the Barnes TSX.

You might take a look at the 140 or 150 gr TSX or Tipped TSX in 7mm.

Shoot a lot of 7mm-08. My go to gun actually.

Never seen anything get up and walk away from 150grn SGK and I only launch them at 2650fps. But that is a super accurate load in my rifle.

Bullet placement first, bullet construction next.

One wonders if you're operating the bullet outside of it's design parameters. Too HIGH an impact velocity is going to cause "velocity induced fragmentation" I think.

You boys are so hung up on velocity. Never seen a deer that knows the difference between 3000fps and 2600fps. Dead is dead.

N

My daughter shot a Zebra and seven antelope up to about 650 pounds or so in Africa last year with a 7mm-08 and 140 Barnes Triple Shocks.

Every one of them fell over almost in their tracks. We only found two of the bullets, the rest were complete pass throughs.

We love that caliber and load.

STOP shooting deer past 100yrds til I get back to you.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My daughter shot a Zebra and seven antelope up to about 650 pounds or so in Africa last year with a 7mm-08 and 140 Barnes Triple Shocks.

Every one of them fell over almost in their tracks. We only found two of the bullets, the rest were complete pass throughs.

We love that caliber and load. </div></div>

Mikee agrees with this. Shot well over fifty animals last year - probably close to that this year. TSX flat out kills things. Not to take away from any of the MANY other good bullets out there, but if you positively gotta smoke it dead, use the TSX. Especially for hunting applications, some guys have accuracy issues ( I have shot it in countless rifles and not seen anything I wouldn't use ), but hey can you hit a 5 inche bull at 200 with it? Then it is good for an ethical hunting shot.

At Man Camp, the saying is " you can kill it with an ice cube, if you can place it in the right spot". I just prefer MY ice cube to penetrate 100% of the time and not come apart. Ever.

your particular load and bullet combination is more than sufficient to kill a deer at the aforementioned distances. I hate to be the one to tell you but you did not put the bullet in the correct "spot".

Possible problemes
You mentioned you have a drop sheet taped to your gun, did you confirm that data or just get if off JBM or the like
did the deer move
was it windy

the list goes on and on

200yrd although not that far and is relatively an easy deployment, its the beginning distance of having to put a little thought into each shot and that thought process only increases as the distance does.

killing shit is infinitely more difficult than shooting steel/paper ...........

Is this the proper time to mention that after a hit,

you reload while tracking the game and then reaquire a hold in the vitals until it´s down and dead,

I do not mind staying for a few minutes behind the rifle just to make sure, at times I have been known to take an insurance shot to the head as well to make them stay down.

There is no shadow to be cast on the round used in this thread, it´s more than sufficent.

/Chris

My experience:

Use the right bullet for the right range.

Bullets work in a specific 'velocity window'. If you're going to fast, they blow up. If they are going to slow, they pencil-hole. Different styles of bullets work at different velocities.

Sometimes a .300 Win is TOO FAST. Sometimes a .308 is TOO SLOW.

I've used every bullet I can think of from Partitions, to BTs, to match bullets.

I've had SSTs and BTs blow up at close range from .308s. I've had ABs do the same. I've had Partitions pencil-hole at longer ranges. I've had Sierra MKs pencil hole at long-range and short range.

From my experience, the Berger VLD has been proven the most versatile bullet for hunting for me. I've killed with them at very close range and very long range and the animals went straight down.

My guess is that odds are your shot was as good as you thought it was for whatever reason. 200 yards is awfully reasonable for your combination to work properly. I've run straight Nosler BTs at 300 through a .280 AI, which should be similar to a 7mm-08 at 200. Animals were dead right there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaddyRat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, 300wm, 3006, 308, 44 mag 50 ml, 12 gauge 00, etc. Heck they all work if you put them where they belong. Placement is the key. 6 inches below the back, 2/3 of the way up on a deer, seems to be a little high for my taste. I prefer to aim low, 1/3 up on a deer. Placement trumps all. </div></div> +1 there is a dead zone there if you dont hit the spine. see the crease in the arm pit and dont look back
bang flop. but if you like the hight shot move it forward and hit the shoulder> have you tryed berger bullets. living where i live now i have to hunt with non lead and have benn happy with the 85 gr gmx .243 and the 150 gr gmx .300 wm. a close friend his wife only shoots the 7mm08 with 140 begers will see if i can get the rest of the specs on the rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your particular load and bullet combination is more than sufficient to kill a deer at the aforementioned distances. I hate to be the one to tell you but you did not put the bullet in the correct "spot".

Possible problemes
You mentioned you have a drop sheet taped to your gun, did you confirm that data or just get if off JBM or the like
did the deer move
was it windy

the list goes on and on

200yrd although not that far and is relatively an easy deployment, its the beginning distance of having to put a little thought into each shot and that thought process only increases as the distance does.

No wind, deer did not move, it was laser measured 308 yards and chart was from JBM, I suspect you are right the second deer shows the actual drop to be closer to 3 inches rather than the 7.1 according to JBM, I suspect it hit high.

killing shit is infinitely more difficult than shooting steel/paper ........... </div></div>

If you want bang and down. High shoulder base of the neck
Jeffbird has a video taken this year of the exact shot.
It works... every time.

High shoulders are a poor bet,as there's no vitals there and the CNS window is slight. Great way to concoct a "stunner" and have shit run over hill and dale.

Breaking shoulders is THE most reliable way to poke noses in the dirt,less a single step.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sugar,

Hint. </div></div>

Your attitude leaves a lot to be desired, I am talking about hunting not 1000 yards paper punching. </div></div>

Perhaps email Oprah for some "feel good advice" and to coddle your insecurities.

At the 500yd line the aforementioned 300Winny concoction you dote upon,has a 20fps "advantage" over a 22" 7-08....despite a 500fps head start. Though the 7-08 drifts 50% of the "big" 300's value at the same distance.

Though curiously enough,the 7-08 has the terminal affects advantage from the muzzle to as far as you please to come in second. As an aside,the 7-08 really doesn't get "worse" closer to the muzzle either.

If only for starters.

Not trying to rag on youre problem thats why i switched to Barnes TSX. You wont have to worry about anything running off!!
Nosler Accubond might also be something to look into. Tripwire on the hide switched me over to tsx. Shoot them you will se what I mean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sugar,

Hint. </div></div>

Stop already, it's hard enough as it is trying to find 162s. Next you'll be tellin him to use 15 too.

Nosler Ballistic Tips suck balls for hunting. I lost a mulie this year after shooting it with a 140 NBT right in the sweet spot.

I recovered one from my antelope buck and there was virtually no expansion at all.

It's not the round, but the bullet.

I've had similar poor results with the combined technology BST. They shoot real good, but are not effective. I've found the Barnes TSX always give you what you need. They don't always make the biggest holes, but they always make two. Swift Scirroco II's work pretty good too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bough a remington 700 bdl in 7mm08 because I like the cartridge, light recoil,highly accurate and very efficent. I handloaded 42.5 grs of Varget with 140 Nosler combined technology ballistic silvertips with BR2 primer for around 2850 fps.It shoots 1/2" at 100 yards, I have the trajectory taped to my stock to 500 yards. My 1st deer was shot at 308 yards, the deer fell in it's tracks and got back up with very little blood trail and never found it after searching for 2 hours, the next deer was shot at 288 yards, the bullet hit exactly where I was aiming, 6 inches below the deers back just above the heart and deer ran 25 yards, that's ok but the bullet went in and our with no expansion. Now I have changed to 139 hr hornady SST with the same load. You think I will have better sucess with the SST over the combined tech bullet? I have killed over 30 deer and have never lost one until now and it really bothers me. </div></div>

I don't know what barrel length you have, but if you have a 20" or less you may want to try a lighter bullet.

I have had my model 7 in 7mm-08 since 1989. It was made the second year they were offered, and it came with the 18.5" barrel. Try the Barnes 120 gr. TSX or TTSX, 44 grs. of RL-15, and you will find happiness.