• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing disappointed with 7mm08

Re: disappointed with 7mm08

I have a 24 inch barrel, I changed to 139 gr Hornady SST and shot an 8 point Friday, ran about 40 yards with a lung shot still not great but better. Think I will try a Barnes TTSX, rifle shoots too good to get rid of. I am done with Nosler BT bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 24 inch barrel, I changed to 139 gr Hornady SST and shot an 8 point Friday, ran about 40 yards with a lung shot still not great but better. Think I will try a Barnes TTSX, rifle shoots too go to get rid of. I am done with Nosler BT bullets. </div></div>

I think you'll be happy with that decision
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 24 inch barrel, I changed to 139 gr Hornady SST and shot an 8 point Friday, ran about 40 yards with a lung shot still not great but better. Think I will try a Barnes TTSX, rifle shoots too go to get rid of. I am done with Nosler BT bullets. </div></div>

It also seems to me that your expectation of your deer collapsing on the spot without nary a step is a bit misguided as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It also seems to me that your expectation of your deer collapsing on the spot without nary a step is a bit misguided as well. </div></div>

Why?

Placement is key. Base of the neck, just forward of the curve of the shoulder, 1/3 to 1/2 down from the top. There are a couple of other spots that also produce DRT results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDl0y6dVNig&feature=youtube_gdata_player
</div></div>

I agree, where I hunt I can't afford for a deer to run on the property next door, not saying a 7-08 will not DRT but your room for error is a little less than using a 300 win or a 7 STW. Most deer I kill are DRT, I just have to work harder with this caliber and at these ranges.

If you want a bullet that works and do not want to spend too much money, buy the Old School Nosler Partition...they just plain work.

Just break the front shoulders. the little 308 with 168 amax has 10 deer dead in the last 2 years with out much more than a flop and some kicks on the ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: startrek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am done with Nosler BT bullets.</div></div>

There you have it! I learned this lesson years ago watching several deer explode at the hand of my hunting partner at the time and the NBT. It was so bad that I told him I wouldn't hunt with him if he kept shooting those bullets. They seem to shoot well on paper, but obviously the performance on game is less than desirable. The cheap 'ole 139gr Hornady Spire Point has failed to please from my BIL's 3 different 7-08's

I have taken around 2 dozen whitetails over the years with my 7mm-08 and have never used anything but cheap Remington 140grn core-lokts. All died from one shot from ranges between 15-175 yards. Some ran but never far. Where I hunt, I don't have the opportunity for longer shots, so I never saw the need to reload for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot placement trumps everything of course

Deer aren't hard to kill, a 243 and any 80g softpoint put in the vitals or neck will easily klll any whitetail on the planet.

Bigger guns extend the distance increase the marrgin of error.</div></div>

+1

To the OP,

I see and hear this all the time. It's called "buck fever". I've put away 18 deer with either .243 85 gr. varminters or .257 87 gr. varminters. I killed an elk and and antelope with the .257 100 gr. Spitzer. It's all about bullet placement. You DO NOT need a magnum to kill a deer. You have to get good at picking the point you want your bullet to enter the deer. Clearly the 7mm-08 didn't fail you. And, we've been killing deer for hundreds of years with less powerful weapons.

The bullets you say you used should have killed the first deer and did kill the second. Deer don't always drop in their tracks like the gun rags read. So, you do have to watch which way they go and track them if you can. but it always boils down to placement. Hit 'em right and you'll have venison. Don't and you won't. Hopefully, as a member here, you're not one of those 20-40 rounds a year guys. IMO, it takes a lot more than that to be proficient each and every year with a firearm.

I get a kick outta seeing guys search and search and spend $50/box on ammo to kill a whitetail deer. There is no fail safe round. All you need is a box of 140gr core lokt and good shot placement and you'll fill your freezer. They may not shoot 1/4 moa at 500 yards, but who cares. Use the money saved and you can get a lot more practice at your shooting ranges with the same rounds you will hunt with.

Also when selecting a round you must consider that 90% of DECENT rifles shooting DECENT loads is gonna outperform their shooter the second they leave the bench and enter the "real world". Choose a round that is designed to kill deer and produce decent accuracy (more emphasis on dead deer here) and go raise hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Living Large</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The AccuBomb is a POS too. </div></div>

How many have you hit, recovered, to verify YOUR shot placement, and what made them a POS?

2 evenings ago, my 130AB was bad...

130 AB, 260, 7/08WW brass, 44/H4350, 100 yds shot, drilled both shoulders, he froze and dropped head on the shot, few seconds later lunged all but 29 steps from impact.

Hunting8ptatRons28Nov2011007.jpg

Shot one about 2-3 years ago, same bullet 6.5x55 K1A Ruger, 250 yds, lungs, DRT.

Ramble on.......

I have shot deer clean through the heart with a 308 at 100 yards and had em run 100 yards.

In fact, I _expect_ them to run with a heart/lung shot.
If I need them to drop in the scope (as my dad always said) you need to hit them in the spine or head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many have you hit, recovered, to verify YOUR shot placement, and what made them a POS?</div></div> I have never shot a deer with an Accubond. I have shot a dozen or so elk and a moose with Accubonds (180 and 200 grainers) out of my 30-338 and another 15 or so elk with a 160 Accubond out of my 7mm Rem Mag. I kind of reached the conclusion that Accubonds are pretty darned good bullets.

FWIW, I guide for an outfitter in Wyoming so I get to see a lot of critters killed with all kinds of configurations of bullets and calibers. Hit a deer in the boiler room and it dies.

Buddy of mine shot 300 wsm with 180 combined technology bullets. At 100 yards no exit on a large Texas whitetail and they basically exploded on impact like a v-max or varmint bullet. Choose a solid bullet like a partition or a bonded bullet....or a copper bullet like Barnes tsx or ttsx.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cartridge is not to blame, it's either you or the bullet, and I would try bullets before you go changing yourself...</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JDB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buddy of mine shot 300 wsm with 180 combined technology bullets. At 100 yards no exit on a large Texas whitetail and they basically exploded on impact like a v-max or varmint bullet. Choose a solid bullet like a partition or a bonded bullet....or a copper bullet like Barnes tsx or ttsx. </div></div>\\

If you are reporting it exploded, and no exit, then it must be 'factual' based on a dead recovered deer. How far did the deer travel that makes it a failure? What was shot placement, range, approx. impact speed? Alot of variables influence what a bullet does.

One constant is....ALL bullets are going to react differently depending on range and shot placment, and what it hits. Heavy bone/close range = max expansion and least penetration. Long range/soft target = opposite.

I have a one shot experience with the 7mm-08, first year hunting with it. Federal Premiun 140 grain NBT. Hit right behind left front shoulder, angular, busted the ribs, through lung and out right side, good size 4 point. Went, maybe 10 yards with front legs getting shorter with each step. Range was very short, 25 yards.

My son got his first with the 6.8, 110 grain Sierra PH, heart, lung, busted shoulder, deer still went 20 yards on three legs and no heart.

Neck shots seem to work rather well if you make them.

ive always had better luck with the sst than any other bullets more accurate than siera, and the A-max and the punch and then fast expansion like no other bullet and still holds 90% of bullet weight regardless of speed and impact area,, ive only had 1 issue with them when i was in my early 20s came back to idaho on leave and drawed on a antelpe buck tag and shot one 3 times 1st shot was at 350 meters zipped poof of dust he ran out another 200 meters zipped poof of dust and 3rd shot he was on the run away got him in the back blew out his chest and lower jaw , after skinning him the first 2 rounds were less than an inch away on either side of the ribs missed lungs and heart went inbetween them but between back east and west coast and the rockies have killed hundreds of deer elk antelope and bear with the hornady sst i swear by them

thats why you reload your own bullets match grade accuracy 100 bullets for $45 instead of 40-65 a box of 20 bullets and you can shoot 1,000 of rounds a month ,, 30-06 long range, my 7x57 mauser 1895 spanish mauser new hart barrel hs precisionstock leoupold vx 3 scope pacific tool and die bolt, harris bipods timney match triger with side safety instead of rear mauser safety 172gr sst for 7x57 180 sst for the 06