• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Disappointed with RCBS, need a new powder measure

uafgrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2004
Fairbanks, Alaska
I purchased a new RCBS chargemaster in June of 2011 from Brownells
It has seen very little use (~ 500 rounds) due to a variety of reasons
When not in use it is stored in a cabinet, protected from elements

I took it out last night and the scale isnt working correctly
When it is turned on, the display lights up green but there are no characters

I contacted RCBS and was told they do not do any service on the Chargemaster and since its out of warranty they can not help me (I have no problem paying for a repair)
They did suggest I buy a new one from Natchez though

So I am in need of a new powder measure. I like having an automatic dispensing set up like the chargemaster
Before I spend another $300+ on a RCBS product, are there are other options that are worth looking at?
I notice the Lyman and Hornady get varied reviews

Thanks

You know it really grinds me when a company flips its customer the bird only before asking for more money.

I can tell you the RCBS has treated me fair in the past with problems, however I have heard several complaints similar to yours.

It may be worth contact someone different at RCBS or dropping a letter in the mail. Sometimes letter, being rare these days, make to the right desk.

Thanks I will do that as well
I confirmed with the rep that the offer no service of any electronics
If it's within the 1 year period they replace it, if not they don't give a shit

Unfortunately I'm in a position where I need one sooner than later

Holy crap, I'm on your side uaf. They've replaced 3 for me over 5 years, but the two I have now are over the time limit. To me, if they are going to be marketing throw away products, they need to adjust the selling price accordingly.

Reactions: Twinsen
Sorry to hear about your issue, hopefully you can figure something out.

One of my Chargemasters was acting up about a month ago (it would drift/not stay calibrated), so contacted RCBS to see what my options would be. Like yours mine was out of warranty, so I figured that I would have to pay for any repairs. Long Story Short, I tore mine all apart, set it all back up, put a power conditioner on it, and luckily it is back to working. As such I never had to actually find out what a repair would cost, but in my case RCBS had offered to repair it for a fee. Not sure if that has something to do with how old it is or how long it has been out of warranty? You may want to double check and see if they will offer you the option to repair it for a fee?

Before you give up on a RCBS / Chargemaster, I have had 3 of them running over the last 5 years, and this was the first problem that I have had with one.

Some quick simple options,
- Take it all the way apart, and set it all back up again, make sure you follow all directions. The scale and the dispenser are sensitive to how much pressure is on them and how level they are in comparison to each other. Also may want to check/clean the connection between the 2 of them.
- Try another power supply, and make sure that the scale is the only thing on that outlet. Also check the area for other strong electrical sources, they can be very sensitive to stray electrical fields, changes in voltage, etc.

More drastic option,
- Purchase a new scale (RCBS Chargemaster version) from a retailer, making sure that you can return it if needed. Swap it out for your existing scale and see if it fixes your problem? If it does, it would get it back up and running for about half the cost of a new complete unit. If it doesn't then you can also try to replace just the dispenser. Based on your description, it sounds like it is a scale issue, but you never know with electronics?

If you want to walk away from RCBS, can't say that I blame you, but I personally have never found any of the other scales to be any better.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Thanks for the ideas
I fully intended to pay for repairs which is reasonable
But according to the rep they no longer do any repairs

Here is the email message that I received back from ATk

We do not offer repairs on any of the units. Units that are under warranty are replaced. If you know which unit is defective you can just replace the defective portion. Thanks for choosing RCBS and have a great day!

Technical Services Representative/ap
ATk/RCBS
605 Oro Dam Blvd.
Oroville, Ca 95965
(800) 379-1732

Sorry to hear about your issue, hopefully you can figure something out.

One of my Chargemasters was acting up about a month ago (it would drift/not stay calibrated), so contacted RCBS to see what my options would be. Like yours mine was out of warranty, so I figured that I would have to pay for any repairs. Long Story Short, I tore mine all apart, set it all back up, put a power conditioner on it, and luckily it is back to working. As such I never had to actually find out what a repair would cost, but in my case RCBS had offered to repair it for a fee. Not sure if that has something to do with how old it is or how long it has been out of warranty? You may want to double check and see if they will offer you the option to repair it for a fee?

Before you give up on a RCBS / Chargemaster, I have had 3 of them running over the last 5 years, and this was the first problem that I have had with one.

Some quick simple options,
- Take it all the way apart, and set it all back up again, make sure you follow all directions. The scale and the dispenser are sensitive to how much pressure is on them and how level they are in comparison to each other. Also may want to check/clean the connection between the 2 of them.
- Try another power supply, and make sure that the scale is the only thing on that outlet. Also check the area for other strong electrical sources, they can be very sensitive to stray electrical fields, changes in voltage, etc.

More drastic option,
- Purchase a new scale (RCBS Chargemaster version) from a retailer, making sure that you can return it if needed. Swap it out for your existing scale and see if it fixes your problem? If it does, it would get it back up and running for about half the cost of a new complete unit. If it doesn't then you can also try to replace just the dispenser. Based on your description, it sounds like it is a scale issue, but you never know with electronics?

If you want to walk away from RCBS, can't say that I blame you, but I personally have never found any of the other scales to be any better.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

DO NOT get the new lynman 6th gen. I went from that to a chargemaster1500

Often times, credit card companies will automatically extend warranties when their card is used for a purchase, if you do have to purchase some new gear, you may want to check your CC's and see which one(s) give you this benefit-one that is seldom used, but that's the users fault.

psssssstttttt.......

"purchased a new RCBS chargemaster in June of 2011 from Brownells"

Brownells Satisfaction Guarantee | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

100% Satisfaction Guarantee on Everything We Sell
If you aren’t completely, 100% satisfied with any purchase you receive from Brownells, for any reason, at any time, return it for a full refund or exchange. No hassle, no problem. And, we won’t bog you down in endless paperwork. Your complete satisfaction with each and every product we sell is what’s most important to us.

I am interested in upgrading from my chargemaster too. The fucking thing is all over the place with powder +/- .5 grains

Not much fine electronics that have a long warranty,
A good powder measure Harrels fx, a omega powder trickler and a A&Det FX 120i. Will be much more accurate, can be just as fast with some practise, and more expensive of course.
Will have the ability to get single kernel accuracy, repeatably.

As for the above mentioned Sartorius GD503 it is No longer in production as of May 2013.

Personally i use a Sartorius Practum 124-1s a Omega trickler and 2 chargemasters throwing 0.3 low.
Works perfect for my needs at least.

The Only better thrower then a Cm, available
is the Prometheus at 3k plus.
So a A&D Fx, with the Omega and a Cm will costs you less then 1/3 of the price, while keeping accuracy as good or better depending on your powder choice.

Last edited:
LRShooter101 offered the best advice. Take it apart and make sure that a spider hasn't taken up residence in it somewhere. If the scale is all that is fubar then replace the scale. The Chargemaster is the best of the auto dispensers out there unless you want to put down a few thousand and wait for a year or two for a Prometheus.

I've been using a Chargemaster for at least 5 years now with ZERO issues. You can change the default settings (the instructions are in a bulletin at Accurateshooter.com) to speed the process up and over charge issues can be cured with a simple Soda Straw.

Many Benchrest shooters are even going to them for some powders that their Harrell's won't measure consistently. They just power them from a battery pack when they don't have electricity available at the range.

Better than the others. Pact is supposed to be OK but if you think RCBS sucks for their warranty service you haven't experienced Pact yet.

A few years back my 1st Chargemaster wouldn't calibrate. It was out of warranty. They charged my $40 for a new replacement. I can't believe they changed their policy. They usually stand behind their products. I'm very disappointed at RCBS and the customer service the OP got.

A few years back my 1st Chargemaster wouldn't calibrate. It was out of warranty. They charged my $40 for a new replacement. I can't believe they changed their policy. They usually stand behind their products. I'm very disappointed at RCBS and the customer service the OP got.

The Chargemaster isn't build with a Lifetime Warranty in mind. If it was, we couldn't afford it.