• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Disposing of CLR after suppressor cleaning

Mrindecisive

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2017
Ohio
How do you guys dispose of the CLR and carbon mixture after you’re done cleaning your suppressor?

I’d imagine many just dump it out in the ground or down a drain. Best way is take it to your county haz mat collection site.

Well it is mostly used up mild acid, mostly lactic acid and after use on a centerfire can may have some minor copper content, but mostly just more carbon. CLR itself is readily biodegradable (28 days) and is no more acidic than white vinegar.

Considering that both CLR and vinegar are used regularly as household cleaning products, the only possible concern could be a possibility of copper compounds.

For those wanting more specific information regarding CLR, here’s the full safety data sheet:

Note that recommended disposal of container is rinse and recycle.

If you feel that the copper might be an issue, or you live on or near a lake or river, consider hazmat disposal since compounds can be toxic to marine life in higher concentrations.

Last edited:
pour-one-out-in-the-bowl-215wyetdr7d5pok2.gif

Dump it in the toilet, brush it, and flush it.
I guarantee you it's not as bad as what comes out of me at times.

Provided you do not have a bleach tablet in you tank or bowl.
If this is the case then the chlorine gas might make sure you never have to clean the toilet, or anything else, again.

Last edited:
I’d just use BoreTech C4, which completely cleans suppressors… and can be poured down the drain.

When you're considering what to pour down the drain, it's likely not just about the initial chemical, it's about the resulting mix once it's broken down the deposits. For example, it's probably not a good idea to pour down the lead slurry from your rimfire can.

I’d just use BoreTech C4, which completely cleans suppressors… and can be poured down the drain.
You mean like CLR can? Did you read nothing of my posts?

When you're considering what to pour down the drain, it's likely not just about the initial chemical, it's about the resulting mix once it's broken down the deposits. For example, it's probably not a good idea to pour down the lead slurry from your rimfire can.
If I’m cleaning a rimfire can, I’m not using CLR.

Rimfire cans with their high lead content when cleaned with "the dip" make a highly toxic lead. It's about 100x worse than solid lead because it can be readily absorbed through your skin.

That definitely needs proper hazmat disposal.

Center-fire cans with just carbon and CLR? Check with your local waste water plant and see if they have recommendations. I know of at least one that said pretty much dump anything because "we got it all".

That's why lead slurry goes down the driveway.
Spreads it out.

Dilution is the solution.

• Haha
Reactions: southernpew
We just had the lead water main coming into our house replaced. Lived here 7 years before I noticed it was lead. Its copper now.
Ironically the tap water in this house was the best of any where ive ever lived. Maybe lead isn't as bad as they say. I hope not anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrindecisive

Here’s the whole poster.
8F59CA0C-13E1-470F-8797-BFC1B45548B3.jpeg

I include this only because some of our smarter readers may miss the joke and will believe anything.

We just had the lead water main coming into our house replaced. Lived here 7 years before I noticed it was lead. It’s copper now.
Ironically the tap water in this house was the best of any where ive ever lived. Maybe lead isn't as bad as they say. I hope not anyway.
I believe, but do not know, that the reason lead drinking water pipes are marginally safe is because of corrosion inhibitors added to the water.

I found the following on the Wikipedia page for the Flint lead water crisis:

“Officials failed to apply corrosion inhibitors to the water, which resulted in lead from aging pipes leaching into the water supply, exposing around 100,000 residents to elevated lead levels.”

This was after the genius officials switched the water supply to the Flint river, apparently mainlining the river water like heroin.

Last edited:
People literally use it to clean bathrooms and drains, likely less toxic than draino. The only time you might not is if you have some firm of composting septic system.

Reactions: lash
lead is natural and there for must be good for you give it back to nature when your done with it .. it'll make your grass grow strong and green . and the goats will be so jelly of the kids while they are eating it . billy has only 3 teeth left but look at that flowing hair ..

lead is natural and there for must be good for you give it back to nature when your done with it .. it'll make your grass grow strong and green . and the goats will be so jelly of the kids while they are eating it . billy has only 3 teeth left but look at that flowing hair ..
8th grade education ? You sure as hell never graduated High School .:rolleyes:

It depends.
Got a septic tank? Don't even use comet in your toilet. Put nothing down the drain but shit and piss.

If I was really concerned about it, I would dig a hole and bury it, especially if you live in an urban wasteland. You bury it in a subdivision, bedroom community, it can't possibly hurt anything. One day these places will be dystopian deserts anyway.

Reactions: AMGtuned and lash
If your plumbing connects to public sewers, flush it. The minor amount collected at a treatment plant is meaningless and will be subject to waste processing. If you’re on septic and well water, I would not flush it. If at some point you want to sell your house and a well test is performed, you might have issues.