• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dissapointed with the finish protection on 700 SPS

goose_boy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
NW Iowa, Spencer
Well, I decided to go chase me some coyotes yesterday morning at dawn. Turned out to get pretty crappy out about 30 minutes after sunrise, and it started raining/sleeting. I was out for about another 2 hours and then headed back to the truck. I cased up the gun in my hard case and left. Now I left at about 945am, and had to take care of some stuff. I later went to clean the gun, at about 6pm. So now a total of 8 hours have gone by since it was cased. I open the case up and guess what? RUST. Given it is light surface rust but it did take some rubbing with oil and fine steel wool to get it off. The gun was clean and oiled before I took it out.. I personally thought this was pretty shitty the amount of rust that formed that quickly on a "protective finish". It was on the barrel, action, and on the bolt handle, which was a PITA to get out of the knurling. So... what options are there for better protective coatings? I have heard of many, but am unsure of how protective/appealing they are and how much they cost. Also where to get them done. I must admit that I'm drooling over the Birdsong... Don't know about the cost of it though, I'm sure it's not cheap.

Oh, and the use of the rifle is kind of an all around thing. Hunting, targets, varmints etc. It will be getting a new tactical stock and a new Falcon Menace, but I don't want to have nice accessories on a rusty barreled action. This thing will be taken care of, but will be used. Thanks for any help guys.

Re: Dissapointed with the finish protection on 700 SVS

Are you refering to the SPS? If so then yeah, the finish sucks ass...

Yeah, the finish sucks on the SPS. I try to keep mine oiled, and only in a case when transporting. Put in a heated safe when I get home. Helps a little.

Yeah the parkerized remingitons are the same I've seen LTR/PSS's that have significant rust on them just sitting on a gun store shelf.

So yeah best to keep it as dry as possible, and I'd use some of the better rust preventatives to wipe it down. CorrosionX, boesheild T9, EEzox, and BreakFree CLP are supposed to be very good at rust prevention. I've used the birchwood casey sheath for years and never had an issue, but after reading some recent testing I'm going to put switching to CLP. Simply because it performed very well in a couple tests I ran across and is easier to get than EEzox/corrosion X.

Doesn’t matter what factory finish is on the rifle, putting a wet rifle into a closed case is going to cause rust and it will cause rust very fast. I’ve seen “stainless” steel rust in a closed case.

There is nothing rust protective about factory finishes. At best they will inhibit rust if kept in the open air. Blued finishes are a form of rust, and will rust if you look at them wrong. Park finishes are designed to hold oil to help avoid rust not stop it.

You want a better rust protector get a spray on coating such as Moly or Cerakote.

Actually was oiled up with Breakfree CLP. I know the finish isn't the best for protection but I just thought the timeframe for that type of rusting to happen was ridiculously short. Hell my duck gun takes a thousand times more abuse and sits in the case wet for much longer sometimes and it's fine, and it's about 20 years old! Never had one of my guns react so badly so quickly. Anyways, I appreciate the responses guys I really do. HateCA - thanks for the suggestions thats exactly what I was looking for. Is there anywhere you suggest I look to compare/contrast those coatins? Or any others that should be considered? Thanks!

Mine is getting stripped bare and duracoated coyote brown as I type. Rust on the SPS is almost inevitable if you hunt with it. Wait until it gets warm out and see how much heat it holds too
shocked.gif
. It's a shame they have gone so cheap lately. Save your money and get it coated like the others have mentioned, just try and keep the rust to the surface and keep it from pitting in the mean time.

Sold a guy a new vtr .308 a few months back and opened up the remmy box and was looking at a rusted rifle. Sold a remmy 870 express mag to another guy before duck season, opened the remmy box and looky there rust. The guys where easy going and Decided to spray some rust preventer and a couple coats of flat black paint on them. It sucks though having to do that to a brand new gun.

Nufinish matte blued finishes are useless and oils and such dont last.A coat of nufinish will last a bit even in harsh enviorments thats what I used on my blued 1911s with summer IWB carry.

+1 for CeraKote, or any other applicable finish. In fact, if you want to get ridiculous, take the barrel and action, adequately taped off, down to the local "X brand" industrial equipment supplier and order the powder coat they used to put on the 1963 International Scout 80 . You can paint over it, scrub it, wipe it down with acetone... and the only thing I've ever seen get through it was an angle grinder.

And on the 8th day God made Krylon.........................

Saw that too when I bought mine. The first one was in it's box in a stack of three of them. I looked at the model on display and said I'd take one. Half way through the paper work I open the box and see it has some minor rust on the left side of the receiver. I exchanged it for a clean one.

Krylon, HMMMMMMMM

Looking at some of the outstanding work I've seen displayed here, and knowing my pathetic "art" skills, I've been hesitant!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Krylon, HMMMMMMMM

Looking at some of the outstanding work I've seen displayed here, and knowing my pathetic "art" skills, I've been hesitant! </div></div>

It's hard to screw up matte black.
grin.gif

Brad, did you forget? Khaki is the new black. I can joke about it cause I just did it to match the desert sands of Virginia, LOL
whistle.gif
. Seriously, I went all khaki to reduce heat on mine, but it is hard to screw up with one flat color or even two. Remember less is more. Here is my latest stock, went simple and like it better than my past jobs. The stock is Krylon, my action and barrel will be Duracoat coyote tan when done.
PICT0294.jpg

I think HasGun maybe onto something. I don't recall the namebrand but I wanted to protect the bed on a Toyo Tacoma I used to have. It may have been a 3M product but there was this sprayon stuff that when it dried, was pretty hard. It had a bit of a rough texture to it too so it would be good for the pistol grip as well.

Factory browning coating - will alumahyde if it wears out, that will be A While...

IMG00120.jpg

Kryon for the hunting bolt gun....

12-13-08053.jpg

Even the FAL gets Alumahyde....

DSC02418.jpg

Of course, painting the rifle is easier since this came along...
smile.gif

WarWagon1.jpg

I will paint my GAPDPMSLR308 once I get it 'the way I want it', but it came with a tan cerakote barrel... base coat will be tan, it will look 'something' like the FAL, soon.

2-22-09-5014.jpg

My problem is that just my sweat handling untreated steel causes it to rust in a short amount of time... But putting a wet weapon in a hard case has always been trouble for me, even when I think it's oiled... Something the paint takes care of for me.

Good luck!

+1 on duracoat. I did my sps in OD before I ever even fired it. Out of the box, out of the stock, sprayed down with brake cleaner and sprayed the duracoat. The parkerizing is an excellent base for the duracoat to grab on to.
Rob

I'll agree with the OP here. While any gun can (and will) rust, the SPS seems exceeding prone to this in my experience.

My father has a Weatherby Mark V, standard blued finish, that he's been hunting with for 20 years, it's been through a lot of rough weather, and he's not exactly careful with it. It looks better after 20 years than my SPS did after 2 days.

Should have had it duracoated before it hit the field.

Crypto, my thoughts exactly! The old man has a blued 870 Wingmaster that he bought in high school and has shot more ducks with than many people could dream of. Anyone that's duck hunted knows that a duck gun is probably one of the most abused sporting firearms you could think of! Anyway... Blueing is a shabby protective coating at best and his looks great still after all those years. 8 hours did my rifle in? And on top of it it WAS properly maintained and oiled..... That's shit in my book. So I'm sorry if I was misleading, or maybe the fellas didn't really read my post, but what I was asking was..

WHAT COATING IS BEST AND WHY, COMPARE AND CONTRAST FOR ME?

I got a lot of responses saying to coat it, which is what I wanted to do, but none really answering the question I asked. Which coatings are best and why, and cost comparison. I guess this thread is probably breathing its last breath and if she kicks the bucket maybe I'll have to start a new one, but hopefully we wont have to crowd the forums anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goose_boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I got a lot of responses saying to coat it, which is what I wanted to do, but none really answering the question I asked. Which coatings are best and why, and cost comparison. I guess this thread is probably breathing its last breath and if she kicks the bucket maybe I'll have to start a new one, but hopefully we wont have to crowd the forums anymore. </div></div>

Cerakote oven cured is doing to be the best that I have seen. Limited colors and can be tricky to apply if you're not experienced.

Moly or KG Guncoat oven cured is very good and easy to apply. Very limited colors however.

Duracoat lots of colors and goes on more like paint. Careful not to get it on too think. Only available in air cured. Takes three weeks to fully cure.

There are others but these are the ones you will hear most about.

Prep is going to be the key. Poor prep will give you poor results.

Re: Dissapointed with the finish protection on 700

KRYLON CAMO

Had same problem. Painted it. No more problems

Finish holds up great. No flaking. No shiny. Just plain awesome.

Re: Dissapointed with the finish protection on 700

What is this "rust" thing of which you speak?

painted_2567_800.jpg

Krylon for me.

Seriously though, if you want to see how fast a weapon can rust try tromping around in the cold North Carolina rain with a USMC M16A2. You know the ones missing most of their finish. The best solution is to keep a heavy coat of CLP on all exposed metal. When possibly, dry it off and repeat the coating.

The Krylon held up real well during the stalk I did in Oregon for Sumpter Steve's match. I have some chips on the butler creek covers and some nicks where the bipod hits, but I really don't care. I didn't do it to make it look pretty.

As others have said......case a wet rifle and you will be dealing with rust. Better to leave it to air dry than box it up and keep it wet.