• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing distance from gas port to muzzle

Rhys

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I've got a DPMS LAR-308 That I'm thinking about cutting the barrel down on. Anybody know right off hand just how much barrel needs to bee left ahead of the gas port?

Re: distance from gas port to muzzle

Ive cut one to 18" and it runs great. It seemed overgassed at 24" though

Is it a carbine lenght gas system or a Rifle length?

lar-308 is a stock 24", so rifle. but as cruizer said, several suggested i just cut it to 18" rather than source an 18" with carbine specs.

OP, you can get an 16"-18" kreiger from fulton and sell that one

AXEMAN- I was trying to verify what he had before I answered his question. DPMS does not make a L<span style="font-weight: bold">A</span>R-308, they do make a LR-308 and LR-308 AP4 is the correct designation for a carbine (http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4854&cat=1940). There are a lot of "large frame" AR's out there and I wanted to make sure I understood what he had before I gave my opinion. If it is a rifle length system I agree 18-18.5" is as short as you want to go.

That was my typo. rifle length AR in 308. I was pretty sure there wouldn't be a problem going down to 18 inches or so, but didn't want to find out the hard way that I had cut it too short.

if you want it to be handy, turn it down also. I cut one to .650 in front of the gas block and .750 under the gas block nd handgaurd