• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Disturbed Reticle

Jammer Six

Troll
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2018
Fuckistan
I read an article in the Army Times that said the next generation of infantry weapons will include glass with a disturbed reticle.

Can anyone explain to me what a "disturbed reticle" is, using small words?

I found an article written by a fighter pilot, and when I was done, I still didn't know what it is or why a PFC in the infantry would want one.

I know what a reticle is, and I'm curious to understand how they think they're going to improve on mil dots.

"A computing sight for such a gun generally provides the gunner with two spots in the sight and is termed a "disturbed-reticle" sight. The first spot is on boresight and is used by the gunner to initially track the target, thereby providing information such as range and angular rate to a ballistic computer. After completing the computations, a second point (e.g., a reticle) is displayed to designate the bullet-impact point. The gunner then physically moves the gun and sight to place the bullet-impact point on the target and fires. "

Basically is an auto adjusting reticle based on range and computations from a ballistics computer. Kinda like the Tracking Point ones:

tp-track.png

Hopefully they found a way to miniaturize it though, that is BIG heavy gear (we won't even discuss price) that I wouldn't want on a combat rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Assassin
I will be damned. So the laser and the computer are not optional, then, the sight needs them?
To work as designed as a "disturbed reticle", yes. I know on military fighter HUD's some of them have a boresite default reticle if the computer goes tits up, but it's all spray and pray at that point. I imagine in a riflescope you could have a zero (boresite) crosshair or dot that would always be displayed and could be used like a normal scope in case the electronics failed, at least that's the way I would design it.

This is all about moving targets, though, right?

I can see how infantry would want that. It doesn't sound like it would be a simple thing to teach, though. This is still eighteen year old Privates we're talking about.

Seems to me that at some point, the weight savings of a simpler system is more important.

The US Amry has been teaching tankers this since before 1980. The M1 and M6OA3 had this ability. You tracked the target for 1.5 seconds, lazed, and recentered the reticle and pulled the trigger. I skipped the other crew duties. The total equipment was quite substantial.

Reactions: Bender
Would the reticle inside the the SIG SAUER SIERRA3/6 BDX rifle scopes be considered a disturbed reticle?