• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft DIY ~ a step-by-step on how to install your safe (

Linkpimp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
So-Cal / OC Area
Hey guys it just me link with another DIY project, this time I’m going to walk you trhough all of the steps it takes to install your own safe, with tons of pics..

Hope you like it..

Link

Step 1 clean out your safe

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643-1.jpg

IMG_0644-1.jpg

Your safe should have 4 holes pre drilled in the bottom of it

IMG_0645-1.jpg

IMG_0646-1.jpg

Now use a permanent marker and outline / trace the inside of the hole

IMG_0648.jpg

Re: DIY ~ a step-by-step on how to install your safe (

Move the safe away and check your layout

IMG_0649.jpg

Get out drill & bits, I’m using a Milwaukee roto hammer

IMG_0650.jpg

Verify your drill bit size, I’m using 5/8 lag bolts and thus takes a 5/8 bit

IMG_0651.jpg

Now you need to know how far you’re going to be drilling in the concrete, I just used a woden dowel, added the nut and washer on it and came up with the overall depth. Please note that you’ll want to drill your hole approx ½” deeper than the overall length.

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

Put some tape on the bit so you know how far to drill down

IMG_0656.jpg

Ok so your floor is marked, you drill bit is maked and your got your eye and ears (check)

IMG_0657.jpg

Now its time for the drilling (no turning back here) just make sure that your drilling straight up (not at an angle) and go at it..

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

Now take out your shop vac and suck out the hole and clean your work area

IMG_0660.jpg

This what you should have not, 4 nice and neat holes

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

Remove your bottom cover to expose your metal bottom plate, I had to remove my electircial box too.. not a big deal

IMG_0663.jpg

Now it time to put the safe back, once you have it over the holes you can make your fine adjustment buy using a thick screwdriver and move the same left and right until all of the holes line up

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Once the holes are lined back up, reinstall you bottom and electrical if you have it

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

Now get out your anchor bolts and a big heavy hammer and pund in the botls like so

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

Once the bolts are all pounded in, it time to tighten things up, I used a torque wrench and tighten mine down to 90 pounds,

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Once everything is tight, not its time to remove the excess, I’m using my cutting wheel here, I’m also protecting the side and bottom with some cardboard and of course eye and ears gentlemen..

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

Now that your safe is bolted down, it time to put it back together and move on with life

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Well, there you have gentlemen, one safe scurely bolted down to the slab and some piece of mind..

I hope you find this information helpful..

Thanks for your time and have a great one

Link

Very nice... Great step by step pics, I really need to get around to doing this my self, Did you ever think about putting some spacers or something to keep the safe up off the concrete, I have heard from several people that that is a good idea because it helps keep moisture from building up under the safe, Just a thought

how would anyone not know how to drill a hole into a wall to secure something to it? ...

anyway - because we recently also had to install a safe:

i would recommend a safe that not only has holes on the bottom, but also on two sides. in the presented safe, with the door opening to the right, you would want

* to have the holes at the back and on the left-hand side.
* move the safe to the left corner of the room. bolt it at the bottom, left and back of the safe.
(this is assuming that you have a proper floor as well as wall: concrete in the cellar is usually ideal.)

regardless of the side which you try to apply force from, there will be a bolts from the other two sides holding against it.

for your presented safe, eating away on the wall at the back of the safe would allow to put a sling around the top of the safe - then the safe itself would work as a lever against the bolts on the bottom (because there are no bolts holding the safe to the back) -> adding bolts to back, it would already be significantly more stable.

also - mounted in the corner gives less access to the safe. in your case, 4 sides are accessable. in the corner, it would be three.

just my thoughts.

Very nice. Always a plus with lots of pics. Now you just gotta add some nice rope lighting inside to get the most out of that outlet. (with lots of pics of course)

one more thing that i recommend: put the safe on a small (say 15cm high) pedestal that is _smaller_ than the ground area of the safe. when you bolt it directly to the floor, you can simply use a crowbar on the safe - with the floor providing the counterpoint. if it is a bit elevated, several tools will become useless (well. now you could try to use a car lifter again ...) pick the poison
wink.gif

Good job, I wish I didn't have a post tension slab!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: threetrees</div><div class="ubbcode-body">one more thing that i recommend: put the safe on a small (say 15cm high) pedestal that is _smaller_ than the ground area of the safe. when you bolt it directly to the floor, you can simply use a crowbar on the safe - with the floor providing the counterpoint. if it is a bit elevated, several tools will become useless (well. now you could try to use a car lifter again ...) pick the poison
wink.gif
</div></div>

Ok but now I can get my sawzall blade in

looks good, Now if the safe was only painted I think it would look better LOL... LOL....

Looks great, thanks for taking time to take all the pics. That's the same way I did mine.

The only thing I would recommend differently is not putting the bottom piece of interior carpet/floor in until *after* you pound the bolts, tighten them up and cut them. That way you don't get your carpet dirty or mess up the floor.

Great writeup!

For smaller safes I just used large lag bolts into wall studs. Probably not enough I see. thanks for sharing this.

Down here in Australia you can not keep your weapons and ammo stored in the same safe, most states say that ammo must be stored in a separate safe or storage box(metal) which must be locked.

If "The Boys in Blue" find you with both together,chances are they will confiscate everything.
Plus your firearms licence will be a thing of the past :-(

we have the same rule in austria. that's why our safes tend to have a second internal safe (small), locked be a separate key - that's where you can store the ammo. it is still within the safe, but with the second lock it's fine.

How much for the foam DTA SRS?
Nicely done.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good job, I wish I didn't have a post tension slab!!! </div></div>

I have a post tensioned slab as well. I took a shot at it anyway and used the anchors that got down only 2 inches. I was able to get two of the bolts in. On the 3rd I drilled slowly using my dewalt cordless hammer drill and ended up finding a piece of rebar, so I stopped. Oh well 2 bolts is better than none.

I'd just like to add that if/when you do this, to start the nuts on the anchor before you tap them in. This will prevent the threads from getting buggered up.

It is certainly a very useful set of instructions and good photos. The safe I have weighs near 1000lbs empty, and a whole lot more with all the lead and other stuff inside. I don't imagine that it is worth the time and energy to actually secure it to the floor, as long as it does not stand any chance of falling on someone. Make sure to use a dehumidifier or dessicant in the safe.

Be very careful on drilling a cabled post tension slab!!! I have a spectacular picture someplace of a severed cable coming out the side and tearing clean through a wooden fence in the sideyard. You might be able to dig down the side of the foundation and find your tension points to avoid a potentially nasty problem. If that does not turn anything up you can have a digital scanning service come out and lay everything out before you start drilling. If it is recent construction some builders will come out and scan it for free.

For keeping the holes straight up and down I made a super precise drill bit guide....took a chunk of 4"x4" post and threw it on the drill press to punch a nice straight hole. From there it was super easy to make sure the holes did not drift and stayed square.

Recommend a second cheaper safe/gun cabinet for ammo as your collection grows bigger.

I would also consider building a wooden box or disguise the fact that its a safe, it not going to stop a determined prep, but it may fool a smash and grab.

Nice job.

I'll add one thing. After you get your holes drilled to depth make sure to get the them completely cleaned out. Run the drill in and out several times. Use a vacuum and work a thin piece of wire in and out of the hole at the same time.

Once you start driving in the anchor and it bottoms out before it should, it will be very difficult and destructive to the anchor to try and pull it back out.

great info, looks good too... I noticed that the placement appears to be in a garage or basement. I am trying to find the best place to put a safe. Is an uninsulated garage ok to put a safe in or will it be too hot?

I don't store ammo with the guns either, Main reason there isn't room.

I found that a Liberty Fatboy Jr 48 gun safe wont hold 48 long guns, Heck after I get my pistols piled up on the top shelf I bearly have room for my motorcycle keys.

One other thing I found with my safe, the next rifle you want to shoot will be in the back roll.

I think that is a law or something. My next project is to get another Liberty, I figure at my age I don't have time to fill two of them, but one just wont work.

ya i'd say thats not going anywhere unless they bring a torch.

My Dad's safe just went through a fire in his 1833 built home. It was a liberty that was rated for @1000 degrees for 30 mins i think which is low for todays safe standards. I strongly recommend building a wall around your safes with at least three layers of fire rated sheet rock on the sides, back, and floor. And I recommend putting it in a very tight place bolted down because they're not that hard to get into, except through the door.

Pay the guy at Gander Mountain $300. He picks up the 1950 pound safe in his truck with the hydraulic tailgate. Brings it to my door and it's put exactly where I want it. He takes it off the pallet and bolts it to the floor, helps me adjust the shelves, plugs in the dehumidifier, and has me show him how to open it twice. Then he shows me in the book how to change the combination and suggests I do it in the next day or two. I pay the man cash and he picks up all the mess and leaves. Total time, 1 hour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johny B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ya i'd say thats not going anywhere unless they bring a torch. </div></div>

ROFL..... Leverage, man Leverage....

I have a much much larger save that I had to just pull the bottom out and drill/bolt the safe while in place. You can do that in this situation also. You might consider bolting it to a wall stud in a place or two if you can. And as mentioned by Binder Concrete epoxy's are a great resource also. Not cheap to get decent ones but still a great product.

Either Way great write up.

one other thing to consider is that if you have radiant floor heat be prepared to fix it cause you will hit one of the damn hoses or wires if it's there. Murphy's Law dictates this!