• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Bolt knob install

Scratchthejeepguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2013
WI
I wanted an oversized bolt knob for my SPS tactical and found one that I liked on Ebay for 20 shipped. Nothing fancy... just oversized, so I bought it and it came in yesterday. I had planned on sending my bolt out to get threaded but got the itch yesterday to try it myself. I brought the bolt out to my garage and unfortunately... fogot to bring my camera, so I'm sorry to say I don't have any progress pics, but it went so fast I didn't think to go get it.

First I taped it all off, then ground the existing bolt head to a .310 square shape. I used a 4" angle grinder with a 40 Grit flap disc.

Then I switched to a worn 60 grit disc, and rounded the square. it was by all means... not perfect. It looked like a square with rounded corners.

Then I stuck it in a vise in between some wood, and threaded it using a 5/16"X24 die.

I did slip a little with the grinder at one point, and you can see it after the bolt handle is threaded on, so I used a cold blue pen on that mark. It's barely noticeable now.

All in all, I think it turned out great, I should have taken a pic before I Loc Tited it on the threads, they look perfectly round now. It's very solid, and much more easy to manipulate with the larger knob.

The entire process from start to finish took less than an hour, and that's with my walking next door to borrow my brother's T handle since mine was missing. I wont send out my next one either.

Here's some after pics, sorry I didn't get some "during".

bolt handle 001.jpgbolt handle 003.jpgbolt handle 002.jpg

Looks pretty good! You didn't just wack off the knob, you ground your existing bolt handle basically to the diameter and then threaded it?

Looks pretty good! You didn't just wack off the knob, you ground your existing bolt handle basically to the diameter and then threaded it?

Correct, I thought whacking off (Tee Hee...) would be too short, and I didn't want to weld on a bolt and possibly disturb the heat treating.

I've been debating if I should take some JB weld and smooth out the section where the bolt knob ends, and the handle starts. Kind of give it that custom, smooth fit look.... I know I don't need it since I can't feel any sharp edges, but it might give it a cleaner look.... Not sure yet.

Well I've been wanting to re-paint my rifle. This may be a perfect excuse. Can't have a bolt knob that doesn't match!

looks, good but Im gonna pay my smith to stick my on while it is in for the build. That way the bolt will go flush with the new knob instead of the edges sticking out.. Not saying people shouldent do it them sleves im just picky.. I wish I had a jig Id just do it my self on the lathe.

Id bet 100 bucks I bought the same knob as you on ebay it should show up this week..
Midway USA wanted 3 dollars for a special handling fee. KMWASS..

I did my own bolt knob too. I bought one of Keith's knobs from Phoenix Custom Rifles. They use a threaded stud which requires cutting off the knob then drilling and tapping the bolt handle for the threaded stud. I opted to cut through the ball at about where I thought it would leave the same diameter as the base of the knob. I was off a slight bit and ended up filing it down to where it was the same diameter and then drilled and tapped it. Turned out pretty good in my opinion as did yours. Just thought I would share the other way it can be done.

The hardest part had to be the first touch of the grinder to the metal, that ohhh F#*k feeling wondering if your tearing up a beautiful rifle....luckily you did an excellent job!! gives me some motivation to attempt more myself...Good Job!

Reactions: spoolnaround
I recently saw a product i believe its called the KRG bolt lift knob....Dont know much about it, basically looks like a plastic case that encompasses the factory rem 700 bolt knob. It seems kinda cheesy, but in fairness I have never seen one in person or handled one. It is likely a cheap alternative for those wishing to have a larger tacti-cool looking knob without either the funds or the ability to do it ones self. I'm more intrigued by the home made metal working displayed here but honestly I've never threaded anything....if thats the correct language to use. I'd be interested in web-links or other DIY bolt knob ideas and projects those of you have came up with.

I own a KRG and thought the same thing before I bought it but figured for $30 bucks why not try it. Installs in minutes, is rock solid and actually doesn't look as cheesy once its installed. Basically I bought it because I didn't have the balls to try something like this or the patience to send out the bolt.

I own a KRG and thought the same thing before I bought it but figured for $30 bucks why not try it. Installs in minutes, is rock solid and actually doesn't look as cheesy once its installed. Basically I bought it because I didn't have the balls to try something like this or the patience to send out the bolt.

So was it well worth the $ 30.00?

I feel it was worth it. It's a quick, easy attachment. With that being said it's no Badger by any stretch but does the job nicely

I recently saw a product i believe its called the KRG bolt lift knob....Dont know much about it, basically looks like a plastic case that encompasses the factory rem 700 bolt knob. It seems kinda cheesy, but in fairness I have never seen one in person or handled one. It is likely a cheap alternative for those wishing to have a larger tacti-cool looking knob without either the funds or the ability to do it ones self. I'm more intrigued by the home made metal working displayed here but honestly I've never threaded anything....if thats the correct language to use. I'd be interested in web-links or other DIY bolt knob ideas and projects those of you have came up with.

Put a KRG on my 700. Took about 30 seconds and works just great. Not too mention it only cost about $35 with shipping.