• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Home Gyms?

limited space so: set of kettlebells 10-50 lbs, resistance bands 10-100 lbs, 8” step, 60# go ruck sandbag, goruc pack w/ 20# plate, slam ball —> my nemesis, I kick its ass time after time, but in the end it just sits there and mocks me.

Reactions: DesertORG
I am new here and found this part of the forum. I have to get back into shape and have a DYI home gym. It will be mostly Crossfit style workouts. No OLY lifting.... Mostly body weight and kettlebells.

Attachments

• 15915839035083074246816647920171.jpg
    15915839035083074246816647920171.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 15915839373591883695625235969543.jpg
    15915839373591883695625235969543.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 15915839616164469230013885648788.jpg
    15915839616164469230013885648788.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 70
i’m torn on a cable machine right now.

choices: sorinex apex with dual columns
prime functional trainer
prime hlp
legend edge functional

already have a sorinex rack. full set of dbs as well

want 2:1 ratio

sorinex gets me the functional along with lat pull down and low row using functional cable columns not dedicated lat pull machine. i would add jammer arms along with the belt squat. this would be the most expensive option but also the most customizable

prime functional cable. allows me to do the same with two functional cable columns along with more range of motion, but limited in terms of lat pulls due to no seat (bench is option)

hlp is just two columns with a half rack. already have a full rack so it’s redundant in a sense but also has the heaviest stack at 350. has seat option and low row option. just worried the cable columns so close at rack width

legend functional , lowest cost of them all. no seat at all, lat pull down will be sitting on floor due to height i imagine.

i’ve looked at cybex bravo advanced but lighter stack and 2:1 isn’t offered in heavy stack. also would be second most expensive

right now i’m leaning towards the sorinex apex customized due to its depth at 28” allowing me the mos floor space.

just got an elitefts crossover and lat station combo, and a wenning strength belt squat.

also, won a reverse hyper in a raffle a year ago, and they are finally shipping it due to covid backorder

8 feet of rope over a tree branch.
A block of Live Oak with a rope around it.
2 10 foot cedar logs.
Duffle bag with 60 pounds of rubber mulch.
2 sets of resistance bands.
Pick up truck bed.
Old tire from pick up.
Sledgehammer.
Concrete Wall.

Pat McNamara Combat Stength Training is what I use as a guide.

Cables? Lat station combo?

The list is simple.

Barbell.
Weights.
Power rack.

Everything else is generally a waste of time, money and space. But if that's your thing, have at it...
thats a load of shit...ive been a competitive powerlifter for years....no seriously competitive lifter has ever gotten to the top without some cables.

The list is simple.

Barbell.
Weights.
Power rack.

Everything else is generally a waste of time, money and space. But if that's your thing, have at it...
To go along with this, I also added a drag. A pallet with a piece of 10" steel pipe, 1" thick wall on it. When the pallet wears out, get another one. It will gas your ass out pretty quick. I use it multiple times a week. Any pallet with heavy stuff piled on it and some straps of any type and you are gtg.

Attachments

• pallet drag.jpg
    pallet drag.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: PBWalsh
thats a load of shit...ive been a competitive powerlifter for years....no seriously competitive lifter has ever gotten to the top without some cables.
not looking to be a competitive lifter anymore at my age nearing 50. been there done that for a decade. with shoulder injuries and just being old, mainly to just lift to stay in shape along with cardio.

I analogy is like long range shooting. Do you really NEED all the stuff we got ? rem 700 worked over is fine, but we each shoot differently with different goals

Reactions: MarinePMI
To go along with this, I also added a drag. A pallet with a piece of 10" steel pipe, 1" thick wall on it. When the pallet wears out, get another one. It will gas your ass out pretty quick. I use it multiple times a week. Any pallet with heavy stuff piled on it and some straps of any type and you are gtg.
have u tried the spud inc sled ? I use it a lot when there is not snow on ground. it’s cheap and doesn’t take any storage space up

going on 2 years 1-3 days a week and it’s held up fine on sidewalk

not looking to be a competitive lifter anymore at my age nearing 50. been there done that for a decade. with shoulder injuries and just being old, mainly to just lift to stay in shape along with cardio.

I analogy is like long range shooting. Do you really NEED all the stuff we got ? rem 700 worked over is fine, but we each shoot differently with different goals
a rem 700 is great for everyday jack offs...but your not entering a competition and expecting to win with it.

if you are a casual lifter/shooter then its fine...if you want to be competitive, you need more

bench

have u tried the spud inc sled ? I use it a lot when there is not snow on ground. it’s cheap and doesn’t take any storage space up

going on 2 years 1-3 days a week and it’s held up fine on sidewalk
No, but it looks like a sexier solution for sure, not nearly as hillbilly. I just decided that we had plenty of pallets, old straps and heavy metal in the shop, so just put one together and go. I tend to leave wood dust in my path but it works so I'm not complaining. I grab a strap in each hand, put the straps over each shoulder and head out. I did look into a better setup but have come to the conclusion that every design is the same - it requires me to pull heavy stuff around so I will stay with this one for a while. Wearing out a pallet does give me a sense of accomplishment.

Last edited:
No, but it looks like a sexier solution for sure, not nearly as hillbilly. I just decided that we had plenty of pallets, old straps and heavy metal in the shop, so just put one together and go. I tend to leave wood dust in my path but it works so I'm not complaining. I grab a strap in each hand, put the straps over each shoulder and head out. I did look into a better setup but have come to the conclusion that every design is the same - it requires me to pull heavy stuff around so I will stay with this one for a while. Wearing out a pallet does give me a sense of accomplishment.
i got a lot of spudz stuff...its quality unbreakable stuff

Giant Lifting has plates that are cheap and u get 25% off if you pick them up and they give 10% mil discount.

The list is simple.

Barbell.
Weights.
Power rack.

It really is that simple. You only need all the extras if your competing in bodybuilding competitions. You can gain all the strength and size you need from the basic compound movements.

The only other things I added to my rack was a pull up bar whenever I feel like getting a bicep pump and a dip attachment because bench press was always my weakest part so I do a little extra to help build strength in my triceps.

Reactions: MarinePMI
"Need" is in the eye of the beholder and everyone has different goals and budgets. what people do in the gym to achieve there diffent goals is more diverse than the gun community IMO.

if you can afford the cables and will use them.. fuck yea get them more tools in the tool box. or like guns in the gunsafe.

Last edited:
basic squat rack, platform (screwed together so I can move it if need be). Air bike landline and farmers carry bars along with some kettlebells. It’s austere but does everything I need. Vulcan rack, American barbell bars and Ivanko revolver plates. I don’t miss going to the commercial gym at all.

Attachments

• 0C396B4F-A6DF-45D2-988B-F9A64D917503.jpeg
    0C396B4F-A6DF-45D2-988B-F9A64D917503.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 3DACD57E-5B61-48FD-A36B-DB1C3B1926B5.jpeg
    3DACD57E-5B61-48FD-A36B-DB1C3B1926B5.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: D1gger
Yeah the home gym is the way to go if you can swing it. I have given serious consideration to making racks and bars in the shop, the prices for a lot of that stuff is crazy. That being said there are some companies making some some high speed shit that is quality. Academy’s Chinese crap, not so much.

I don't have a fancy home gym... Just dont have the room currently.

I did build a lot of weight room stuff out of metal when I was in high school though. We had a big and really nice welding shop as part of shop class (and I could take classes that put me in there 2 periods a day, usually back to back).
We used our manual drafting class to design it the squat/power rack. It had a pull up bar on top, as well as a set up to do inverted sit ups and dip bars not the sides.
Internet was useless in those days for pic searches, so we looked at catalogs for ideas and blended several.