• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing DIY hydro dip kits

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Saw an ad somewhere for a company that sells dip kits you can use at home. Everything is included sans water and whatever apparatus you choose to dip in. The company has gotten some mixed reviews but the issues seem to stem from improper application.

I'm not sure if I can post a link because they're not affiliated with the hide but I thought it was pretty cool. The price is steep at $100 a pop, and each kit only has enough film to finish 1 shoulder fired weapon but they have some really cool patterns that would be tough to duplicate with a spray on applicator.

I'd like to do my hunting rig in one of the RealTree camos but I have no experience with hydro dipping. I'll post a link if the rules permit but a quick search on youtube will find em.

Re: DIY hydro dip kits

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rustoleum spray paint... $8 for 2 cans (krylon, pshhh i go against the grain). </div></div>

Haha yeah Kyrlon is usually the olde standby. Duracoat or cerakote if I want it more permanent.

FM, are you referring to professionally hydro dipped or painted? You're in the biz if I'm not mistaken, no? Never did anything fancy enough to need to research. The shipping cost and hassle would be nice to avoid, though.

I have kinda kicked it around myself. I was thinking of building some fine hunting weight rifles and dipping the mc stock to look like wood.

Here is my 1 and only hydro dip stock. This cheetah film is from a camodip.com kit. Its a lot of work to do it by the directions. Prep work wasnt bad but time consuming. The water needs to be just right and the right amount of activator. I was lucky to have it turn out good. This was done by request from my wife. Its her 5R 223. I did the metal in gloss black duracoat. just order the kit and do it, hell it was kinda fun. good luck.

imagerzg.jpg

I was referring to having it professionally dipped... I've been quoted between $100-$200 depending on just the stock or the whole rifle... so I can't personally see dipping one myself as has been said, the water temp needs to be just right, basecoat just right, etc, etc...

there was a rifle posted a few weeks ago on the hide that was double dipped through a company called hydrodip, it was skulls under camo for $200.00 and turn around is about 2 weeks..it was a sweet stick. i have mostley seen stocks done for about $100.00. why spend the $100 on the stuff to do it yourself when it can be done right the first time by a pro..

The reason I did it myself was I called several local dippers and they were 2-5 months before getting to it. Didn't want to wait. Im up for learning something new and a challenge. I've been duracoating for years and this was just something new. I'd never do it again I don't think. I could have painted 3 in the time it took me to do this one.

interesting...I'm always up to doing something new! Gonna have to do some looking and see what comes of it. Who knows, maybe I'll get it done right the first time! I want to put an ATAC camo job on my AAC, but first I'll have to get a stock for it! I wonder how hard it is to remove if you screw it up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Here is my 1 and only hydro dip stock. This cheetah film is from a camodip.com kit. Its a lot of work to do it by the directions. Prep work wasnt bad but time consuming. The water needs to be just right and the right amount of activator. I was lucky to have it turn out good. This was done by request from my wife. Its her 5R 223. I did the metal in gloss black duracoat. just order the kit and do it, hell it was kinda fun. good luck.

imagerzg.jpg
</div></div>

Thats sexy as fuck right there. I might have to get a kit to do my Salvage in. That would be bad ass.