• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"DIY" modified case for Hornady OAL gauge?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Apparently Hornady no longer makes a modified case for the 7.62 x 54R to fit their OAL gauge. Graf's had them listed as "out of stock", but it's not listed on Hornady's site any longer and I've been waiting three months on BO from Grafs...

I was considering just drilling out the bottom of a case. Even if it's not threaded to screw onto the gauge, I don't see why that would matter. I can just push it out the breech end along with the bullet with a cleaning rod...

Any reason this wouldn't work, and any suggestions on what to use to oversize the case mouth so the bullet slides in/out easily?

Re: "DIY" modified case for Hornady OAL gauge?

I imagine you have a drill bit the right size, so all you probably need is the proper sized tap <span style="text-decoration: line-through">(5/16-32)</span> (5/16-36) to make them fit your Hornady tool. It is an oddball size, but can be found.

check this link out

Thanks for the link.
    I didn't think there was enough beef down there to actually tap threads, but it's worth a try...even if not, as long as the case is pushed in 'till seated, it should work OK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard of people cutting a slot in the case with a dremel. </div></div>

DSCI0003-6.jpg

Terry

Tap for Hornady (Stoney Pointe) OAL tool:
    DSCI0002-4.jpg

I have made modifeid case for every caliber I shoot!

DSCI0001-2.jpg

For my 7/300 wsm I just used a piece of wooden dowl rod. Taped a strip of sand paper to it and wrapping it in the direction of rotation so that when turning it the paper would not unravel. Then just lapped it by hand using a 1/2" cordless drill.

Hope this helps.

Another option if you don't want to tackle the job yourself is send in an unfired cartridge and they will make one for you.

This is on their site.
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your caliber is not listed, any of your brass, including all wildcat sizes, can be custom modified at our factory for use with either gauge. Please call a support representative at 800-338-3220 for more information.</div></div>
    Modified Cases

I ordered the 5/16-36 tap from MSC, and have done my own since buying the first one for $6.99. I have one or two pieces of modified brass for every rifle I own.

Damn they are almost $23 at MSC now. Anyone find a cheaper source recently?

Mine came from another machine tool supplier,and cost about that much.Pete