• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DIY Reloading Bench

Yerman

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
UPDATE 7/15/2020 - Photobucket ass holes removed all my photos. I just dumped a bunch of photos in here to clean it up a bit just so it wasn't blank. Too lazy to re-type all the steps and updates. At least there are pics...

One of the side pieces...
IMG_5205.jpeg

Both sides in place and the back framing coming together...
IMG_5211.jpeg

Finally got the top on...
IMG_5236.jpeg

Bottom installed. Back splash as well.

IMG_5240.jpeg

Finishing touches

IMG_5243.jpeg
IMG_5246.jpeg
IMG_5247.jpeg
IMG_5248.jpeg
IMG_5249.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5206.jpeg
    IMG_5206.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5207.jpeg
    IMG_5207.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5208.jpeg
    IMG_5208.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5209.jpeg
    IMG_5209.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5210.jpeg
    IMG_5210.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5220.jpeg
    IMG_5220.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5221.jpeg
    IMG_5221.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5222.jpeg
    IMG_5222.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5223.jpeg
    IMG_5223.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5237.jpeg
    IMG_5237.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5238.jpeg
    IMG_5238.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5241.jpeg
    IMG_5241.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Thanks. It looks pretty much the same with the exception of a few scuffs and stains from cleaning liquids. The bottom shelf also has a lot of scrapes on it but that is expected. It's been up and running for about a year now. I never ended up putting the tracks in place even though I bought them and they are sitting in my garage. Maybe I'll throw them on when I replace the top in a few years.

If I had to redo it, the only things I would change are the position my vise so it's a little closer to the edge to get more clearance, and not rush and get the track put in during the original build. The problem I have now with the track is I don't know where the screws are so if I stick a plunge router through the top to make the opening, I have no idea if I'll hit a screw head. I do have a very strong magnate so I can mark out the screws if I was so inclined, I just haven't gotten the motivation yet.

I'll try to get a few pictures tonight.

Awesome bench! I'll be building a new house in a little over a year and I'm looking forward to building in a bench myself. Your bench is great inspiration, thanks for sharing.

Great thread! I'm going to put a link to this discussion in Reloading where there is a discussion of building the perfect reloading room. There is some good stuff here for those doing their rooms.

Nice work on the benches!

Check out Orkan's reloading room...

Cheers,

Sirhr

This will be a great inspiration when I get around to setting up a reloading room.

You're damn right it is ;-)

I actually just had my garage insulated and I'm putting an air conditioner out there soon. Anybody want to buy a redneck cooler??? ;-)

Very nice. I don't have room in my current house for a setup like that, but will be looking back at this once I'm in a new house

That is an awesome setup......I wish I had the space to build a bench like that! Even if I had the space in the garage, it is too blasted hot in Florida to have a bench in there. In fact, I had to make my reloading bench mobile so I could bring it into the family room during the heat of the summer.

Attachments

• photo61732.jpg
    photo61732.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 173
  • photo61733.jpg
    photo61733.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
That's pretty damn awesome! Mine is built in a similar method using 2x6's and 4x4's and metal reinforcements with 2 sheets thick plywood on top, one on bottom. I have a 2x6 running the length of the press side and under the vice on mine for a hard point for the bolts to pass through. The Dillon .50 press really needed it too! Mine is also a simple 4x8, but it works well for me, allows me to load on one side, work, clean, build and boresight on the other.

Like how you can sit at yours, I have a tall stool that I can use for the 650 and for swaging at the vice but not the .50 or anything else really. Is the height working for you?

Thanks. Yes, the height is perfect. I have to jump up ever so slightly to get on my rolling stool, but once there, it's very comfortable.

its the perfect height for me to work on something while standing too.

The only thing that is not very convenient is the storage above the bench. I made the bench so deep, and the cabinates so high, they are a little hard to get into.

I had this on the old site...thought I would bring it over to this site in case anyone was interested. Thanks for reading.

PART 1
I probably should have started this thread a while ago but I'm a busy guy and haven't been able to sit down and spend much time here...primarily because of all the hours I am putting into this bench.

I didn't take as many pics as I should have to post a project like this, so sorry ahead of time.

This is the first thing I have ever built like this. I do have some experience with base, case, and closet building. I spend a couple summer months a long time ago working for a friend of mine...but never built anything like this before.

BTW, the cost and expectation of this bench has grown exponentially. I never intended this to cost as much as it has, and be this much work. But, it's been fun, and it's almost done.

One of the side pieces...

Side piece construction...

In it's new home...

Both sides in place and the back framing coming together...

Checking clearance for my rolling stool...

Finally got the top on...

Two 3/4" pieces of plywood and a thin piece of replaceable hardwood for the top...

Another shot of the top...

Used hockey pucks for the feet! Haha...worked great. Details can be found here... http://dans-woodshop.blogspot.com/2012/02/bench-leveler-feet-mark-ii.html

Not my pic but they look the same.

I still need to:

- Build the bottom shelf across the middle
- Attach a backsplash
- Attach some 1x2 across the front and router it
- Sand, stain and clear the top
- Remove the shelf from the wall and install a few cabinets

This thing is rock solid! It's bolted to the wall and doesn't move at all. I built it so I can disassemble it and take it with me when I move.

PART 2
UPDATE - Getting close. I got the trim and the backsplash installed today. I decided to leave a small lip all the way around to prevent things from rolling off the table. I did the same on the bottom.

Tomorrow is putty, sand, stain, and build the bottom shelf. Saturday will be the first coat of clear.

Do you guys think I should stain it light colored, medium, or dark?

Opinions on the stain color?

UPDATE:

Went to the river all week so I had to stop working on the bench.

Got a couple cabinates installed above the bench and I cut in power strip into the 2x4 that supports the front so it sits flush.

It still needs clear coat. I'm hoping to finish up this weekend. Oh...and I restained the top. I didn't like the red color in the previous stain.

PART 3

UPDATE:
Getting close now. I decided to paint the bottom half. I still need to zip tie some wires, install a few more items, and put my t-track in when it comes next week. I'll save all the details for for my full write up when I am done. Just wanted to keep some pictures going.

Wow man, when I first saw the thread I thought "I'll post a pic of mine in a reply, Its pretty nice" and then I saw yours and thought....nope. that's an amazing example of carpentry. I was lucky to get a rectangle correct and then put a shelf on it.
Well done man! its beautiful.

Nice. Gonna steal a few of these ideas when i get started building mine in the basement. As soon i get the basement finished currently using a old entertainment center and its starting to get a little crowded plus its in the junk/spare room... that should say it all

Was just looking through here for ideas for a new reloading room and bench.
The U-shaped bench is a great way to have things within reach but still have a lot of bench space!
Saved a picture and will definately incorporate some this when I get going 9n the new space!

The bench looks great. Built mine wall to wall, but might add to it making it an L shape. Never enough room for all the goodies.

Yerman, any way I can get some dimensions of your bench? Just rough length/width/height if you don't mind. I'm probably going to copy your design.

Fantastic job, design too. Really like having the lip around the edges to keep things rolling off. I would only add diagonal braces from top to bottom in the rear. I do metal checkering and the back and forth movements with files tends to get even the most stout bench moving. Maybe add some peg board to hang tools on if there is still some wall space available. Edit: Maybe add some electrical plug in strips. You never know what the future may bring.

Fantastic job, design too. Really like having the lip around the edges to keep things rolling off. I would only add diagonal braces from top to bottom in the rear. I do metal checkering and the back and forth movements with files tends to get even the most stout bench moving. Maybe add some peg board to hang tools on if there is still some wall space available. Edit: Maybe add some electrical plug in strips. You never know what the future may bring.

Thanks for the compliments. If you look close, there are lags that attach the rear 2x4 to the wall so I didn’t really need to add any additional support. It doesnt move at all.

Also, if you look at the front of the finished bench, I notched the 2x4 and mounted a plug strip flush to the wood, and added another to the back wall. Lots of power.

Yerman, any way I can get some dimensions of your bench? Just rough length/width/height if you don't mind. I'm probably going to copy your design.

Each side extends 72” from the wall
Total width is 116”
Height is 38”
Depth of the back is 30.5”
Depth of the sides are 25.5”

My current reloading/workbench setup.

Attachments

• EDBA7224-CD91-46FF-B79E-5723CD643945.jpeg
    EDBA7224-CD91-46FF-B79E-5723CD643945.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 69
This is mine just after I built it. Just started setting up my loading stuff.
It’s nice having a finished room out in the garage I can escape to.
37573C4B-602F-49D4-BACC-593E69C7761D.jpeg
8522F44E-21D8-4A48-9048-3B6497834BD2.jpeg
A8589017-B736-464A-916C-333869FA8DAA.jpeg