• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

DIY scope cover

Rowdyryno

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
Wichita kansas
Guys I'm wanting to make a scope cover for my DTA SRS with a USO 5-25 Tpal mounted on top. I already got a large piece of grid paper and designed it to fit and now need to order the material, webbing, raptor buckles and all other pieces needed for this project. I am waning to know what material is best for this project and best place to order it from.i am going with multicam pattern and found a few places like Milspec monkey that has material but they all call it different names. I want a heavy duty material like on my elberlestock pack.please let me know what you guys think.

I bought a few yards of 500 denier multicam on eBay really cheap a few months back. They also had 1000 denier. Either one would work, I would say your pack is probably 500 to keep the weight down. I also found coyote colored buckles and multicam webbing on eBay as well.

Pack cloth for the inner liner, a closed cell foam for your padding, and at least a 300- or 500-denier coated (waterproof) Cordura outer fabric.

Rockywoods should carry everything you need.

Rockywoods.com will have everything you need to get it made. Cordura, webbing, binding, Velcro and thread. It's quite rewarding making something from scratch!

Here is a silencer pouch I threw together.

Screenshot_2014-08-20-22-41-55_zpsbf336af9.png

Screenshot_2014-08-20-22-41-59_zps878cc618.png

Thanks man. It's actually sewn using a $150 brother that I bought from Walmart. The biggest thing is using sharp needles and good thread.

Well, necro post but timely none the less. I just made myself one of these a few days ago.

Its pretty easy, if you got the right tools. What isn't, right? This is a project that is gonna need a walking foot industrial machine I'm afraid. Ok, you might be able to do it with a home machine if it can maintain bottom thread tension but if your gramma's old singer can't do it, you won't be able to either. The build ups aren't too big, but that 1/4" closed cell foam thats padding it is gonna seriously cramp the style of all but the most beefy of 1950's all steel machines.

Here's a look at the backside:

I made mine to fit my Athlon Argos BTR and Ruger American Predator, so these measurements will vary. I started with 2 pieces of 1000d. Decided to get fancy and do a binding-less build, so instead of using edge binding, I sewed the pieces together inside out along 3 sides and then reversed, sewed a seam along those 3 sides again to flatten it, then put the 1/4" foam inside. That was a pain. Sticky coating on the fabric and foam just don't play well together. No sliding anyway. Then I closed the 4th side. With me so far?

I took a 2" strip of 17337 coyote tan webbing and made a handle out of it, then sewed it on. Took some 1" webbing and made some straps with some non fastex buckles I got from a supplier. Fold the end under before you sew it down, that way the webbing doesn't fray and look like your dog or toddler has been chewing on it. Made a couple of flaps to cover the lenses out of 1000d scraps, cut them to sort of fit and put some 1/8" foam in there to give the end some padding. Sewed some hook tape on the flap and some loop tape on the body, then sewed the flap on.

Thats basically it. Easy peasy. I don't have any dimensions really, because I don't keep track of that while I'm busy copying other peoples work. I didn't take any construction pics cause I didn't think of it. Maybe if there's interest I might make some tutorials.

PS: Copying someones design for your own use is cool and all. I do it mainly because I'm broke as shit and I've got sewing machines and fabric and webbing and all that crap coming out of my ears. If I need a thing that I can make, I will make it. Having said that, don't go copying someones design and selling it. That is low. Design your own if you want to get into the sewing biz.

Oh yeah, one more thing. It is totally cheaper to just buy this stuff from the guys that make it. "But Needle&Thread" you say, "1000D only costs 7 bucks a yard on eBay". Indeed. Then you've got 2-3 widths of webbing to buy, plus buckles, plus hook and loop, plus thread, don't go sewing coyote with black thread. Plus a pipe hittin' sewing machine. Quilting rulers, fabric chalk. 50 dollar scissor and binder clips and god knows what else.

One positive thing though, chicks DIG guys who sew. Oh yes. They could give a shit about you hitting steel at 1200 yards. Sew them a bag to carry their make up in though, oh yeah.