• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MST100 Interest?

I have an original Unertl. No parallax adjustment was needed. Once zeroed, (which is pure trial and error with the center screw), it hit center mass on steel from 100 to 800 yards, with all first rounds fired. 800 was the limit of the range. As was stated, when you need to hit something quick, the system just works! Amazingly simple, rugged, functional. And so dang sexy!

Last edited:
Reactions: API Norway
How many years do I have to save up before payment is due? :ROFLMAO:
That was kind of the good thing about the Lazy21 but…..it was like 0% financing using the time to build cash.

Waiting sucked but no big punch in the wallet.

Reactions: Stevo86
That was kind of the good thing about the Lazy21 but…..it was like 0% financing using the time to build cash.

Waiting sucked but no big punch in the wallet.
Do you remember how long it took for delivery? I’m thinking it was 1.5 years?

Reactions: deltawiskey
Do you remember how long it took for delivery? I’m thinking it was 1.5 years?
Had to be about that long.

I bought a USO 1x8 at the same time when the combo of a red dot at 1X and 8 power was the shizzle.

Despite my ordering custom cerakote and an EREK knob elevation it came in before the MST - probably about a year in the 1-8.

Cool gun stuff is all about waiting.

Reactions: Basher and Stevo86
This is the way.
IMG_7544.jpeg

Reactions: Basher
My foray into USMC M40 rifles started with wanting a basic Vietnam era M40 Clone. They're simple and within reach through auctions, eBay, and patience. LRI announced his Unertl repro mounts, but that wasn’t for me at the time. Then McMillan released the Smears and I decided a transitional M40A1 was doable, maybe a Weaver T10 variant. I have Smear stock #47. I still didn’t see myself competing at auction for a legit Unertl or USO scope.

Now this.

Reading through this thread, I gather that @Skunk worked at USO in the past, John Williams is currently there, and this project will be an official USO project to reproduce the MST100 scope as a special production limited run. Am I tracking?

I’m not a slow learner, just a cautious one, so a couple questions:

1. Will these be functionally and visually identical, to include the reticle, minus the logo? Steel construction?
2. I assume the glass will be modern coatings, so they could be considered upgraded MST 100’s?

Bottom line: I’m in for one.

Rem 700 200K-300K rec. + Hart or Schneider barrel + new Smear w/ repro BM + this scope in LRI mount + the right builder = off the shelf M40A1 Clone

In haven't been here long, so I I appreciate any clarification or insights,
Greg

My foray into USMC M40 rifles started with wanting a basic Vietnam era M40 Clone. They're simple and within reach through auctions, eBay, and patience. LRI announced his Unertl repro mounts, but that wasn’t for me at the time. Then McMillan released the Smears and I decided a transitional M40A1 was doable, maybe a Weaver T10 variant. I have Smear stock #47. I still didn’t see myself competing at auction for a legit Unertl or USO scope.

Now this.

Reading through this thread, I gather that @Skunk worked at USO in the past, John Williams is currently there, and this project will be an official USO project to reproduce the MST100 scope as a special production limited run. Am I tracking?

I’m not a slow learner, just a cautious one, so a couple questions:

1. Will these be functionally and visually identical, to include the reticle, minus the logo? Steel construction?
2. I assume the glass will be modern coatings, so they could be considered upgraded MST 100’s?

Bottom line: I’m in for one.

Rem 700 200K-300K rec. + Hart or Schneider barrel + new Smear w/ repro BM + this scope in LRI mount + the right builder = off the shelf M40A1 Clone

In haven't been here long, so I I appreciate any clarification or insights,
Greg

Not sure about Skunk, but John used to own USO if memory serves, and hasn’t been involved with them in about a decade or so. I could totally be wrong, don’t quote me or anything… :)

Reactions: Skunk and RIGREG
Basher is correct. John sold USO a couple yrs back, so these scopes will not be associated with the current USO in any way.

The scopes will be physically identical to the original scopes, i.e. built from the same prints (CNC machined). I assume John would go with the manhole cover/coil spring “USO mod,” instead of flat springs, for the erector.
Glass will be newly manufactured.

Thing about the manhole cover spring is it’s more Unertl than the Unertl MST.

That angled beefy spring is how the original Unertl external mount scopes worked.

Unertl made more external scopes, better known for them, than internal spring Hawks and the like.

From what I understand JBWIII is in Texas consulting.

The project would not be associated with Legacy USO which is now in North Carolina.

Not sure if Skunk worked for USO but a lot of us back in the early 2000’s when they were small and basically hand-making scopes in Brea knew him and his dad.

If memory serves, @Lowlight went out there in the early 2000’s and spent a week “building” Scopes and learning the ins and outs from the team. I think he may have built himself a scope!

Cheers!

Reactions: Skunk and Basher
I was there when they were doing the USMC Scopes, I did not build mine, I build me an ST10 and ST17 if memory serves me

I have an MST100 though and S&B with an return stock M40A1 and M40A3

Can we ask you to indulge us with some pix?

Cheers!

Sirhr

Last edited:
I would be interested if I could have one done in brass. I know a few guys who run aluminum and brass off the same cnc machines and I have asked before, they just run the recipe slower and treat it like a much harder aluminum. So a cool special edition of x number of brass would be cool, and would certainly patina uniquely over time.

Separately I would be interested in elevation turrets for sale with some kind of alternative adjustment. Not sure how many cuts would fit around the interior of the turret based on the size of the detent ball but even one with some mrad or moa setting instead of BDC for 308 would be nice to be able to swap around to other rifles or calibers. This option might be helpful for those that have .50 cal versions they want to convert, although its been so long I can't remember if there was any other part that needed changed.

I would be interested if I could have one done in brass. I know a few guys who run aluminum and brass off the same cnc machines and I have asked before, they just run the recipe slower and treat it like a much harder aluminum. So a cool special edition of x number of brass would be cool, and would certainly patina uniquely over time.

Separately I would be interested in elevation turrets for sale with some kind of alternative adjustment. Not sure how many cuts would fit around the interior of the turret based on the size of the detent ball but even one with some mrad or moa setting instead of BDC for 308 would be nice to be able to swap around to other rifles or calibers. This option might be helpful for those that have .50 cal versions they want to convert, although its been so long I can't remember if there was any other part that needed changed.
These scopes (Unertls and MST-100s) have steel bodies though.

These scopes (Unertls and MST-100s) have steel bodies though.

Right but if being done by a CNC program then it is just a matter of changing the material out for a few parts. Not worried about the internals just thought externally it would be cool, older brass telescopes still look great. I already have legit unertls so one thats a bit different would be fun. Of course my taste may be a bit different, I am that guy that is so fed up with fingerprints that I am polishing my Cybertruck to a mirror lol.

Reactions: kft101

Depending on price, i may be down for a brass one. Although staying with 308 bdc.

With deep enough pockets, I suppose anything is possible. I can’t imagine what this would cost.

Having steel parts plated might be a better option.

I'm going to paint mine in Krylon and throw a wool sock on it for a scope cover, because that's what you do with a Unertl/MST-100. You rattle can that shit and treat it like your bitch, because it can take it.

...and not just one coat of paint. The scopes with real character have at least 3 or 4 layers of different colors/terrains, each peeled and flaking before the next layer was painted.

...and not just one coat of paint. The scopes with real character have at least 3 or 4 layers of different colors/terrains, each peeled and flaking before the next layer was painted.
Leave too many coats on and they hold moisture and rust from beneath. Most we would do was two and then strip it and start fresh.