• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes DMR Optic Suggestion

tyfattori

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2020
Hey guys so I am finishing up my DMR build and I would say it’s a rather higher end build. I’ve been shooting rifles for a while now but I’d say I’m a novice when it comes to long range shooting. I’m 29 and as I get older I’m becoming more and more fond of long range shooting and all the aspects and learning it takes to become good at it.

I’m looking for a good optic for a beginner my budget would be 1K max and I’m not opposed to anything in the 6-700 range either. I’m hoping to get a good optic that’ll be good for my skill level but also something I won’t outgrow really fast once. It’s for a .223 Wylde build I figured I would start here before I go 308 or 6.5 Grendel just to test the waters and see how much I enjoy it.

It’ll be out of a semi auto AR platform 223. PRS, Target, Bench and Steel. Daylight and lowlight probably no nighttime honestly. 600-1000 yards. My budget is 1K. I’m looking at FFP, MILS, illuminated and variable power. Something that wasn’t extremely heavy or large would also be nice.

Trying to touch everything in the “Asking For Advice Post.”

I would look for a used optic personally. Lot of good values there. pst2 3-15, Burris xtr 2, razor gen 1 if you want something that could go on a longer scope later.

you have to think are you getting something for small frame ar only or something that can grow with you later.

1000 yards with a 223 would be hard. I take my 18in ar to 700 yards and hits can be hard to see. I think a good lpvo could work as well. i use a pst 1 2.5-10 and it works well for me

After much reading and research it is between the Vortex PST Gen II 3-15 and the 3-15x XTRII. In a lot of reviews the Vortex is said to have the better glass. They’re both also nearly identical price wise.

I just picked up one of the Steiner P4Xi's from CameralandNY for my DMR build. 4-16, very happy with it and the price. Definitely fits in your budget.
I picked up one of the "Old" version Bushnell DMR scopes last Spring and really like it, I shot my DMR on my AR today as well as my Remington 700 bolt gun which has a Nightforce SHV on it. DMR looked a lot better then the Nightforce. The DMR is a little over your budget but worth it.

Call Doug at Cameraland and order a Bushnell DMRii. It’s a fantastic optic for the money. I have one on my precision AR and have been really happy with it.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
As a few others have said if you are shooting between 600-1000 yards you may want to look at another caliber. I have a precision ar I built with a 20” barrel. I shootit out to 600 yards shooting 77 gr bullets and it is really hard to see hits at that distance on steel.

I have been shooting a 20 inch DMR setup in local matches and actually use it for a trainer. Out to 600 yards it's great but after that it tends to get challenging dealing with wind especially. The 77s are doable after that but be ready to deal with some frustration.

Talking of optics I was using a Burris XTRii- 4-20 mildot great scope but overkill on an AR. Presently have the Leupold VX-R 3-9 patrol rifle optic back on it. Great scope for the money plus it is very lightweight

"The 223 DMR for 600-1000 is pissing in the wind. Must be a high master SR shooter."

I've got 3 HM cards including getting the XC card with a SR. Oh and DR and 2xP100.

The SDM/DMR weapons system (w Mk 262 ammo) is rated for 80% hit percentage on the E silhouette at 700 meters. It is capable past 600 yards. I've done a fair bit of testing on a 1/2 size USPSA target at 700 meters with the WS and Mk262. It's pretty effective out there as long as you know how to read conditions and have a spotter.

You can find good deals on the Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21 scopes right now. Midway recently have them on clearance. They great scopes and I like how short and compact they are, but a little on the heavy side.

I ended up buying 1 more than I decided to keep on the Midway clearance and have it for sale on the PX right now for 800 shipped if you are interested in that.

You can find good deals on the Bushnell DMR II 3.5-21 scopes right now. Midway recently have them on clearance. They great scopes and I like how short and compact they are, but a little on the heavy side.

I ended up buying 1 more than I decided to keep on the Midway clearance and have it for sale on the PX right now for 800 shipped if you are interested in that.
I bought the DMR ii-i 3.5-21X50 from Midway with illuminated reticle. $805 shipped. I have 3 of the original DMR's and really like them. I am a NightForce guy but for 1/3rd the price my wife is happy. I haven't mounted the scope yet but it looks like the glass in quite good and I like the new zero stop set up. Are they as good as my ATACR or even my NXS scopes, no but are pretty close to the NXS's.