• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes DMR Rifle Build Scope Help

bronco9588

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2011
Charleston, SC
I am trying to make the FNAR into something useful. Goals for this scope:
1) shooting for groups at 100 - 300 yards on paper
2) ringing steel to 1000 yards (308 win)
3) rapid deployability to other rifles.
4) moderate weight (under 2 lbs with mount). FNAR is very front heavy and I would like to improve the pointability of the gun.
5) not exceed the value of the gun. (Sub 1k before any discounts)
6) Be able to rapidly engage targets at short range. Like a deer.
7) Be able to use the reticle for ranging. I also want to get my feet wet with FFP
8) needs a good warranty and offer a military discount.
9) all things being equal, illumination would be nice but not a dealbreaker.

I think these needs will best be met with a 3-15. I have narrowed down to the following:

1) Burris Veracity: Great value but useless reticle for ranging.
2) Vortex Viper 2.5-10: much lighter weight than other scopes but low high end magnification
3) vortex viper gen 2: great name but expensive and heavy
4) burris xtr II: Great elevation adjustment but heavy and 34mm tube adds additional weight in rings.
5) SWFA SS: light weight but not illuminated
6) Athlon Ares: 6x range, pretty awesome reticle, but pretty small company adeal breaker.

Right now I am waiting on military discount quotes from two of the manufacturers. I really like the Athlon Ares. Am I considering all scopes within my goals? Of these scopes listed, what would be the best value? Could I meet my ergonomics goal with a heavier scope such as the weight of a razor?

IMG_1675.JPG Why not the Nightforce SHV F1 4-14? About the same price as they rest. That's what I have on my 308 DMR and it works great out to 1000! Vortex would my next pick after that. Then SWFA.

IMG_4500.JPG

Last edited:
NF 2.5-10 may have to buy used to fit the budget but it is the next scope for that job if you put any emphasis on quickly hitting 50-300 yard targets

ZeroMOA that is a pretty nice setup. I will put that one on the list. It is a bit heavy, but I am sure she is nice and clear.

deersniper there is a snowball's chance in hell that I will put a more expensive optic on an already confused rifle.

If the veracity would have some ranging capability... I think it would be perfect. I do like the Athlon, but it is new and I have no idea how to even handle one. Kinda hard to buy a scope you never even look through.

Personally, I would really consider a lower magnification scope like the Burris XTR II 2-10x42. It will do everything you need and for well within your price and weight limitations.

If you really want 15x top end, your best bet is SWFA 3-15X42. You give up zero stop and illumination, but gain extra magnification.

Both of these have been extremely robust in my experience, with good tracking.

Athlon Ares is another very good option. The scope is new, so there is no track record to speak of, but the 4.5-27x50 I am testing is a very nice design and I like it enough that I will likely buy it from Athlon instead of sending it back when my testing is done.

ILya

koshkin can you explain you affiliation to athlon? How did you come by that scope? I can get the Athlon ares 3-15 for 720. I am just waiting on vortex to see their military discount.

The burris 2-10 is 600. I see the 34mm tube as a downside on weight. I am looking at another 5 OZ in a mount.

I have a Ares 2.5-15x50 on my AR right now. Been out using it 5 times in the 3 weeks. Last time out I heldover and off to hit steel out to 700Y and then dialed the same solutions to hit the same steel and some rocks at various other distances. So both tracking and holds have lined up with my dope. Very pleased overall for the price. As much as I like my Bushnell LRHS I like the Ares more in a few ways, especially the close focus/10Y, the illume which is almost daylight bright, meaning I can see the reticle in the shade or overcast days. My favorite Athlon reticle too because every mil line is numbered. Some other Co's have the mil line numbers directly off the vertical stadia which sucks because they obscure wind holdoffs when holding over sometimes.

Last edited: