• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes DMRii vs LTRS

ToddM

Philanthropist
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
PA
With Bushnell having a 20% off rebate now there can be some pretty good prices on the DRMii had, in fact after the rebate the DMRii illuminated end price can dip close to $900 and i would not mind a bump in power. LTRS's are not quite as good of a deal.

However, I really couldn't find anything comparing the two directly far as optics, eyebox etc. Most of the posts I read talking about the two are the older DMR version to the LTRS right after it was released and they seemed to favor the LTRS for having better glass/resolution and it seems like everyone really likes the LTRS at it's price point. Just curious if the DMRii is just as good optically in which case I'd probably stay with the 21x or if it's better to just give up the extra 3x and stay with the LTRS if it's better optically and save a bit of weight.

Thanks

Todd

What are the important features to you? What are you using it for?

Since the features/format between them are basically identical aside for a tiny bit of power, for me it really comes down to the optical quality as for the important feature, hence the ?. If the DRM ii can't keep up with the LTRS optically, I'd opt for the slightly lower mag and lighter weight. If it can keep up optically I'd likely sacrifice the bit of weight for the extra magnification. So to summarize, I'm looking for those that have been able to compare both under the same conditions for their optical quality, so aside that they are so similar.

With Bushnell having a 20% off rebate now there can be some pretty good prices on the DRMii had, in fact after the rebate the DMRii illuminated end price can dip close to $900 and i would not mind a bump in power. LTRS's are not quite as good of a deal.

However, I really couldn't find anything comparing the two directly far as optics, eyebox etc. Most of the posts I read talking about the two are the older DMR version to the LTRS right after it was released and they seemed to favor the LTRS for having better glass/resolution and it seems like everyone really likes the LTRS at it's price point. Just curious if the DMRii is just as good optically in which case I'd probably stay with the 21x or if it's better to just give up the extra 3x and stay with the LTRS if it's better optically and save a bit of weight.

Thanks

Todd
Hi Todd, I've had the original DMR, the DMR II-i, the LRTS and the LRHS-i. Optically the DMR II is a significant jump in quality over the original DMR (specifically in low light situations and mechanical operation). The LRTS and LRHS are basically twin sisters with only minor cosmetic and mechanical differences. The LRTS/LRHS is definitely better than the DMR II series with regard to overall resolution and a bit better control of CA in my testing. The DMR II tends to struggle at the top end of the magnification whereas the LRTS/LRHS maintains high resolution throughout. The LRTS/LRHS is lighter but longer while the DMR II is heavier but shorter and with a 50mm objective. I will say this, if you absolutely want the best image quality then the LRTS/LRHS is your scope, but if you're okay with really good IQ and don't mind the heavier weight of the DMR II then the DMR II is a great scope to have especially at that price. Not sure if that helps you make your decision but those are my thoughts. Oh, one other thing, the DMR II can only focus down to 75 yards whereas the LRTS/LRHS can go down to 50 yards, may not matter to the shooting you do but that is a limitation with the DMR series.

Reactions: Stickshift
Thanks!, that helps a lot. I have a couple LRHS/LRTSi's from the GAP blow out so it's "easy" to just add another one as it's a known quantity, I like having my scopes/reticles same/similar, and I have 30mm mounts ready to go.

I did however just stumble across a SH vendor page and things just got much more complicated as the DMR ii Pro is not much more than the DRM ii (I'll probably never user it but I still somehow think I *need* illumination :rolleyes:) and even the xrs II illuminated is now VERY tempting with the final price approaching MSRP on an LRTSi. I should have never started down this rabbit hole!!!!

Thanks!, that helps a lot. I have a couple LRHS/LRTSi's from the GAP blow out so it's "easy" to just add another one as it's a known quantity, I like having my scopes/reticles same/similar, and I have 30mm mounts ready to go.

I did however just stumble across a SH vendor page and things just got much more complicated as the DMR ii Pro is not much more than the DRM ii (I'll probably never user it but I still somehow think I *need* illumination :rolleyes:) and even the xrs II illuminated is now VERY tempting with the final price approaching MSRP on an LRTSi. I should have never started down this rabbit hole!!!!
The glass on the DMRII Pro is noticeably better than the DMR II in broad daylight. Better contrast, more depth of field, and less chromatic aberration, it's especially noticeable when you dial up the power. If the price difference is acceptable, go for the Pro.

Reactions: Basher