• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Do Cali AW laws apply to mag fed bolt guns?

lelandEOD

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2008
In doing a google search on this topic I could find nothing that referred to bolt rifles. Does anyone happen to know if a .308 AI mag fed bolt rifle with an AAC blackout hider is legal in the PRC? I know cans are a no no, but don't know if I can take my rifle to CA because of the MITER mount. Any info would be appreciated.

An

Re: Do Cali AW laws apply to mag fed bolt guns?

They are totaly legal. One of my Remingtons has Badger bottom metal and a Vortex flash hider.
DSC_0025.jpg

Thanks. Does the fact that my FH is also a suppressor mount change anything? I know cans are illegal... Anything forbidding just the mount? Beautiful rifle, btw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lelandEOD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks. Does the fact that my FH is also a suppressor mount change anything? I know cans are illegal... Anything forbidding just the mount? Beautiful rifle, btw. </div></div>

No

Just remember, if it's a semi-auto CENTERFIRE rifle or semi-auto handgun - that's where the majority of restrictions are. My AW registered ARs have to travel in a locked Pelican case along with any handguns I take to the range. My SRS however, can get tossed in the backseat
wink.gif

Not YET. Give it some time, I'm sure CA DOJ will figure a way to do so.

For rifles, California only classifies certain semiautomatic detachable magazine rifles as "assault weapons" as well as 50 BMG rifles. You need a flow chart to understand the rules, here's a good one:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

In the blue menu bar choose your relevant flowchart from the section titled "AW & OLL guides", there are separate flowcharts for rifles, shotguns, and handguns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not YET. Give it some time, I'm CA DOJ will figure a way to do so.</div></div>

Gee, nice defeatist attitude. Thanks for the support.

Think you need a bigger bipod brother!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think you need a bigger bipod brother!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

You should see my speed reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run my .260 with an extended mag all the time here in Cali, no prob!

Cali_legal.jpg
</div></div> ban
because they dont allow ak 47 there
firearms.jpg

Hope you guys didn't forget that any magazine that is over 10 rounds that was purchased after the date of January 1 2000.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

Commencing January 1, 2000, prohibits the manufacture, importation, sale, or transfer of
any large capacity magazine unless to specifically designated parties and under specified
conditions. A violation of this provision is a misdemeanor or a felony. A large capacity
magazine is defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than
ten rounds but shall not include any .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. Firearms
dealers may sell large capacity magazines only to parties who are exempt under PC section
12020 from the large capacity magazine restriction.

So be aware that any magazine in your possesion in Kalifornia needs to have been manufactured before that date and purchased by you before that date. I have many many magazines that I have had purchased prior to that date......... That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nobbie333</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run my .260 with an extended mag all the time here in Cali, no prob!

Cali_legal.jpg
</div></div> ban
because they dont allow ak 47 there
firearms.jpg
</div></div>

No, the real reason is because it's left-handed. ;P

Actually, you can rebuild magazines that were owned prior to the date listed above. In fact, you can replace every single part and have more or less a brand new magazine and you'll be fine provided that if you started with 1 "large capacity" magazine, you don't end up with more than 1 "large capacity" magazine. Possession of magazines larger than 10 rounds is not illegal. That law prohibits importing, manufacturing, selling and transferring, but not possession. The burden of proof is on anyone who wishes to pursue legal action, not on the person possessing the magazine. For all anyone knows you could have found a whole bag of these magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No, the real reason is because it's left-handed. ;P </div></div>

Guilty!~ haha

Mute is correct, The Mechanic erred in his post. If you owned say 10 M16 magazines of greater than 10 rd capacity prior to Jan. 1, 2000, you can purchase rebuild kits, which are all the parts of a magazine, and if you disassemble your original magazines, you can put together the rebuild kits as long as you don't have more magazines of greater than 10 rd. capacity than you started with. Convoluted laws?? Yes, but something residents of CA have to live with for now.

Do me a favor m1match. Can you go to the Cal DOJ website and show me the err of my ways? My quote is off their web site.
I would like to see you go to a local range with a "LEO ONLY" magazine in your rifle today and not have some splanin' to do.

I was gonna make some smart-ass comment about California. But you guys are in such sad shape, it just makes me sigh....

It's okay, Scooter-PIE, the weather makes up for it
wink.gif

Kind of off track, but there are some smart CA guys reading this thread.

POF 308 - what do I need to do to bring it to CA for some coyote hunting? Bullet button the mag and then I'm good to go? With a bullet button and a 10 round or less mag can the collapsible stock and flash hider stay?

If so, then what's the rule on the locked case? Can it not ride in the front seat of a pickup truck with me unloaded?

Jason

As far as I know the bullet botton and mag should take care of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do me a favor m1match. Can you go to the Cal DOJ website and show me the err of my ways? My quote is off their web site.
I would like to see you go to a local range with a "LEO ONLY" magazine in your rifle today and not have some splanin' to do.</div></div>

Please see this letter from CA-DOJ: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

Basically, you can import rebuild kits that are just disassembled mags and you can replace every part of a pre-ban mag. This is why you can rebuild a pre-ban USGI into a PMAG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of off track, but there are some smart CA guys reading this thread.

POF 308 - what do I need to do to bring it to CA for some coyote hunting? Bullet button the mag and then I'm good to go? With a bullet button and a 10 round or less mag can the collapsible stock and flash hider stay?

If so, then what's the rule on the locked case? Can it not ride in the front seat of a pickup truck with me unloaded?

Jason</div></div>

Bullet button allows you to use a 10rd mag with evil features such as a flash hider, collapsible stock, and pistol grip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If so, then what's the rule on the locked case? Can it not ride in the front seat of a pickup truck with me unloaded?
Jason</div></div>

The locked case only applies to handguns and registered assault weapons.

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do me a favor m1match. Can you go to the Cal DOJ website and show me the err of my ways? My quote is off their web site.
I would like to see you go to a local range with a "LEO ONLY" magazine in your rifle today and not have some splanin' to do.</div></div>

Please see this letter from CA-DOJ: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

Basically, you can import rebuild kits that are just disassembled mags and you can replace every part of a pre-ban mag. This is why you can rebuild a pre-ban USGI into a PMAG. </div></div>

Thanks for posting that link Ty, very grateful.

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do me a favor m1match. Can you go to the Cal DOJ website and show me the err of my ways? My quote is off their web site.

Basically, you can import rebuild kits that are just disassembled mags and you can replace every part of a pre-ban mag. This is why you can rebuild a pre-ban USGI into a PMAG. </div></div>

Thanks for posting that link Ty, very grateful.

-Pat</div></div>

You're quite welcome. If you need any rebuilds, please let me know. I'm one of the few vendors, if not the only one, that doesn't charge a rebuild fee for PMAGs.

The Mechanic- Midwest PX beat me to it- with the letter that Gene Hoffman published on his website.

Also, if you do a search on www.calguns.net, this topic has been very extensively discussed and you will find a ton of information. The CA DOJ website is NOT ALWAYS an accurate source of information. Much of their published stuff is plain BS and FUD and reflects the way they'd like to see CA gun restrictions, not as the law says.

Also notice how the DOJ lists everything except acquire/receive/found.
So if you happen to find a few mags on the ground, in the trashcan, or in a box that no one else claims theres no restrictions against keeping them.
Same thing if someone was to just give it to you free of charge, you are not committing a crime, the other party is.

That said, thumbs up for midwest px. I've purchased from him in the past to replace some smashed AR mags that needed new bodies.
Excellent service!

So if you are given mags that say LEO/military use only is that legal?

Not exactly Emilio. The prohibition is against importing hi caps into the state and selling or transferring hi caps. The exemptions from the prohibitions are for armored car companies and law enforcement officers. If you were dumpster diving and found some hi cap magazines, you found them, nobody sold or transferred them to you so you have violated no laws. If an LEO officer with hi caps gave them to you, he/she would be in violation of the law because they transferred them to you.

The ability to rebuild existing mags is very useful. For example, I had a bunch of junk USA mags I bought before the 1994 federal ban. After the federal ban lapsed, I bought rebuild kits so I could have the same number of mags and get rid of the POS USA mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do me a favor m1match. Can you go to the Cal DOJ website and show me the err of my ways? My quote is off their web site.

Basically, you can import rebuild kits that are just disassembled mags and you can replace every part of a pre-ban mag. This is why you can rebuild a pre-ban USGI into a PMAG.</div></div>

here is a portion of the pdf. I had to OCR it as it is actually an image. I will give up after this post on this as anyone can do what they want. I am a lucky one and LOADED up on magazines for every firearm I have and that I thought I could potentially buy in the future.
My comments in <span style="color: #FF0000">red</span>.

Q4: can a California resident travel to another state, purchase a hi-cap magazine in that state, disassemble it and ship the required replacement parts back to themselves in California?

A4: Penal Code section 12020(a)(2) makes it illegal to import a large capacity magazine into the state of California. If you traveled to another State in order to import a large capacity magazine, you would be guilty of a felony, even if you disassembled the large capacity magazine before returning to California. If you disassembled the large capacity magazine with the intent to use it only as repair parts, you could lawfully bring the parts in to California. In either case, you would test the limits of the law, and be at risk of criminal prosecutlon.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">"makes it illegal to import a large capacity magazine into the state of California" I believe this.</span></div></div>

Q5; Can you replace the magazine body with one marked “For Law Enforcement Only?”

A5: While theoretically you could use such a part to repair a lawfully owned large capacity magazine, most dealers would be unlikely to sell you such a magazine body, unless you were a law enforcement officer.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">Do you really want to test this?</span></div></div>

Q6: Is there any limitation to the number of parts you can replace in a legally obtained hi-cap magazine? (Scenario: if on successive days I replace each individual part of a legally obtained hi-cap magazine, am I guilty of assembling a new hi-cap magazine once the final part is replaced?)

A6: Whether the scenario you describe constitutes repairing or manufacturing a large
capacity magazine depends upon the legal opinion of the prosecutor in the
jurisdiction where the acts occur. There are 58 district attorneys in California’s 5
counties. They could elect to prosecute you for a felony (Penal Code
I 2280(a)(2)), if they believed that you were manufacturing a large capacity
magazine.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">I read that as "Go ahead, make my day" in my best Clint Eastwood voice (including eye squint)</span></div></div>

Q 7: If he magazine body is replaced wit/i one clearly manufactured a/icr 2000... is there any burden of proof upon a California resident that they did in fact replace a worn/obsolete part and did not illegally purchase/import a new hi-cap magazine.

A7: A California resident who repairs a large capacity magazine that was owned before January 1, 2000 does not have any “burden of proof that the magazine was repaired, rather than replaced with a new magazine. However, it would be prudent in such a case to keep records documenting the purchase of the part necessary for the repair in order to demonstrate that the large capacity magazine was repaired, not replaced.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">Repaired your original purchased BEFORE 2000.</span></div></div>

Q8: Can you use parts designed for a JO-round magazine to repair a legally obtained hi-cap magazine?

A8: if parts designed for a 10-round magazine are interchangeable with parts of a legally obtained large capacity magazine, there is no legal barrier to using them.

Q9: Can you have enough spare parts to assemble a new hi—cap magazine provided they are unassembled and intended for use as replacement parts?

A9: Whether the scenario you describe constitutes possession of magazine parts with the intent to manufacture or with the intent to repair a large capacity magazine depends upon the legal opinion of the prosecutor in the jurisdiction where the acts occur. You could be charged with a felony (Penal Code I 2280(a)(2)), if a prosecutor believed that you were manufacturing a large capacity magazine.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">"depends upon the legal opinion of the prosecutor in the jurisdiction where the acts occur" I don't have one of those prosecutors in my hip pocket.</span></div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Like I said it is all up to you to "test" the limitations of Kalifornia and its Supreme court, but I just don't have the money. </span>

Here's some more information for you:

Q5: Note that this answer also says it is legal to import a disassembled magazine for purpose of using it for repair parts. Something people also do commonly is to import mag rebuild kits and then use them to create a 10 round magazine that looks like a 20 or 30 round magazine. That is legal, although I think a 30 round mag with rivets in it to make it a 10 rd. mag is a useless thing for the mall ninja crowd.

Having a mag body stamped "Law Enforcement Only"- this section of the DOJ's FAQ was written BEFORE the federal assault weapons law expired in 2006. The expiration of that law makes this question obsolete.

Q6 & Q9: The blather about "its up to the 58 DAs in California's 5 counties" is the same BS the DOJ has been spouting for years when they don't want to admit something they don't like is legal. That language comes from Alison Merilees in what used to be the DOJ's Firearms Division. She said the same thing about off list lowers for years, yet today the major police departments all issue training bulletins to their officers about how to distinguish a legal off list lower AR from an illegal "assault weapon".

It's your personal decision about what you own, purchase, etc., but California firearms laws and regulations are so complex and convoluted that we in the California firearms community shouldn't spread incorrect or misinterpreted information to the rest of the firearms community. The information that myself, MidwestPX, and gunsmithcat have stated in this thread has it's foundation in written correspondence from the CA DOJ, case law history from the past few years, CA firearms lawyers, and published law enforcement agency training bulletins.

I should add that in no way shape or form have I, Midwest PX, or anyone else in this thread advocated doing anything in violation of California law.

If I understand your position, you are still concerned about doing anything that might attact unwanted legal attention even if it's legal. I understand that and I don't think anyone would criticize you for that. I know the owner of one of the larger CA gun stores who for the longest time would not sell bullet buttons or off list lowers. I know I shared a great deal of information with him, and probably others did also, but over time as OLLs became accepted and common, he now sells bullet buttons and OLLs.

For those who aren't in CA, the CA assault weapons ban bans firearms by name in the case of "DPMS Panther, Armalite M15, Colt AR-15, H&K 91, 93, etc" and others, but the list isn't long, and by features, namely a detachable magazine rifle with a pistol grip, flash suppressor, collapsible stock, etc. BUT, if your rifle has a bullet button which replaces the mag catch and requires the tip of a bullet or other tool to release the mag AND you use a magazine of 10 rds or less, AND your receiver isn't on the named ban list, your firearm is completely legal. OR if your rifle is not on the named ban list, doesn't have a pistol grip, thumbhole stock, flash suppressor, collapsible stock , etc. it's completely legal. This has led to some stock designs for the AR lower receiver that aren't thumbhole stocks or pistol grips, but function OK and look kind of funny.

You are talking to maybe one of only 5 people
smile.gif
in Kalifornia that actually went down to my local PD, had fingerprints, filled out, and paid for registering my HK91. Don't get me wrong I understand your position and your heavily researched opinion on the law. I just believe in treading lightly as I would not want my collection of firearms confiscated over one shitball DA's hatred for firearms. By the way I also own an OLL. I also realize it would be real easy for anyone to just obtain magazines and claim they bought them before the ban.
Understand that you preach to the choir here in that I believe that not only are these laws ridiculous but also against the Natural Law of the Constitution (God given) and not Pelosi taken away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run my .260 with an extended mag all the time here in Cali, no prob!

Cali_legal.jpg
</div></div>

And left handed to boot!

California gun laws seem to have been written with the intention of being confusing, which is why a lawsuit was filed several years ago that ended up in a court victory for 2A supporters.

What you do have to be careful of in Cali is running into LE that does not completely understand the details of every law. This situation is not helped any by CA DOJ who insist that their advice, even published advice on their website is an "opinion" only, and does not have the weight of authority. Any local DA is free to have his own opinions.

Also, some local jurisdictions may have adopted more restrictive laws or policies whether they are unconstitutional or not. There is, after all, a serious gang presence in California.

But due to the efforts of 2A attorneys and supporters, efforts have been made by private groups to educate LE groups and DAs around the state, to help bring them into compliance, but that doesn't mean that any given officer got the memo.

So to be safe from unnecessary entanglements, it's a good idea that while traveling in Cali to keep things low key, and travel with firearms in a locked hard case, and the ammo in a separate locked container, and both in the trunk, (if you have a trunk), and use magazines under 10 rounds max to eliminate any possible perception of wrong doing. Not only does following this protocol keep things low key, it also offers protection under Federal law.

This protocol should mostly eliminate having to engage in uncomfortable curb side discussions with an LE officer regarding California gun laws; an officer who may not understand the complexities of CA gun law as well as you do.

When unloaded and safely stored like this, there is no common sense reason or obligation to advertise that there are weapons in one's vehicle...that is no one's business but yours.

If this protocol is followed, and there is any harassment, it makes your position much clearer if there would happen to be a need for a judge to dismiss charges or a subsequent civil suit for wrongful prosecution.

Many folks unfairly criticize California residents because they are unaware, or do not recognize or appreciate the extensive efforts that 2A supporters and the NRA, along with citizens and their attorneys in California have made over time to promote and protect the 2A and win these victories that have legal implications for other states, not just in the state of California.

Some folks are still fighting the good fight.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We sell and ship pretty much the entire Accuracy International product line to California with the unfortunate exception of the AW50. At least there's a few fun things you can still own.
wink.gif
</div></div>

someone needs to come up with a .499 cal round, just to say FUCK YOU to California and places that ban the 50cal stuff. LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We sell and ship pretty much the entire Accuracy International product line to California with the unfortunate exception of the AW50. At least there's a few fun things you can still own.
wink.gif
</div></div>

someone needs to come up with a .499 cal round, just to say FUCK YOU to California and places that ban the 50cal stuff. LMAO </div></div>

There's .510DTC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIG383</div><div class="ubbcode-body">someone needs to come up with a .499 cal round, just to say FUCK YOU to California and places that ban the 50cal stuff. LMAO</div></div>

The ban is caliber specific, so reducing the size isn't necessary. As mentioned, there's .510DTC, which is essentially the same cartridge as .50BMG with a slightly shorter case and steeper shoulder. There are also other .50Cal variations perfectly legal to buy in CA.

I have the .50 DTC in my Windrunner and it is a great cartridge that is getting a lot of trigger time in Kalifornia. Almost every major .50 manufacturer worth a grain of salt has a DTC version.

Ronnie Barrett who is a outspoken defender of our second ammendment rights gave California that exact message. He designed, from the ground up, the 416 Barrett cartridge. Then chambered the model 82A1 in that calibur and added the bullet button, which made it California legal.

I purchased one as soon as they hit the market because I initially wanted a 50 BMG and that option was taken away from me. I am actually happier with the 416 with the 395 grain projectile at 3250 fps that stays supersonic to 2600 meters. The projectile is machined out of a solid piece of brass. The price per round is competitive with the .338 LM at $5.20 per round. Other companies that are building rifles with the bullet button such as LWRC, JP, GA Precision, just to mention a few, I want to say thanks to all these companies for their courage. They all have to have ten round magazines.

RIFLE01.jpg

RIFLE03.jpg

Jason if you're just coming to California to hunt with your AR10 than you're going back to your State. In this case you can bring any Assault Weapon you want. You just CAN NOT bring any magazine that holds more than 10 rds. People from out of State comes to California all the time to compete with their AWs. The issue for them is only the magazines that holds more than 10rds. You can not import them into the State period!

If you were moving permanently to California than you would have to have a bullet button with a fixed 10rd or remove the pistol grip to make it legal.

Ronald, your previous post is WRONG! The CA Penal Code provides an exemption to the Assault Weapons law for nonresidents who come into the state for competitive shooting events, NOT for hunting. Here's the section of the CA Penal Code, it's from section 12280

"(m) Subdivisions (a), (b), and (c) shall not apply to the
possession and importation of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle
into this state by a nonresident if all of the following conditions
are met:
(1) The person is attending or going directly to or coming
directly from an organized competitive match or league competition
that involves the use of an assault weapon or a .50 BMG rifle.
(2) The competition or match is conducted on the premises of one
of the following:
(A) A target range that holds a regulatory or business license for
the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(B) A target range of a public or private club or organization
that is organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) The match or competition is sponsored by, conducted under the
auspices of, or approved by, a law enforcement agency or a nationally
or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes
education about, firearms.
(4) The assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle is transported in
accordance with Section 12026.1 or 12026.2.
(5) The person is 18 years of age or over and is not in a class of
persons prohibited from possessing firearms by virtue of Section
12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare
and Institutions Code."

A nonresident who brought an Armalite AR-10 (which is banned by name) into the state for hunting would be guilty of a felony infraction. Now if that AR-10 type rifle was not on the named ban list, you could install a Bullet Button with a 10 rd. magazine and you would be legal to bring it into CA.