• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do I keep a gun in my "Get Home" bag?

Scottrods

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2023
Utaj
Hello to all. While I'm not new to shooting I'm new to the site and welcome all comments on this topic. At 65, I've been around the block a few times and not much surprises me anymore. Last week, my wife and I returned to our home in Utah from teaching a class on emergency preparedness in a nearby community. It was late and we parked the SUV outside by the side deck, which is well lighted so we could unload the 72 hr Bug out Bags, the range bag and other paraphernalia we used to teach the class. I brought everything in the house except my wife's get-home bag, which is normally kept in the back of her rig. I did not realize that we had stowed her Springfield XDM and 3 mags full of ammo into her bag. Normally, that would have been in the range bag, but in our haste to clean up the gear after the class, it was placed in her pack.
The next morning at 0600, I went out to start the day and found the doors open to her rig and all the gear was gone. I keep detailed records, photos and serial number logs of all tools and firearms, so the police had everything they needed to verify it was ours if it showed up.
Here's the question... "Should you keep a weapon in your "Get Home" bag and leave it in your vehicle, whether it's locked in the trunk or the back storage area?"
I am just sick, it makes me nauseous to think our gun could be used in the commission of a crime against someone else.
FACTORS and OPTIONS...
1. The XD is my wife's choice for a durable get home battle gun. It is not her EDC. Does she need to take it to the rig everyday when she leaves to teach? She's not allowed to have it on her person at the school.
2. Do you end up leaving the bag locked in a closet by the back door and grabbing it every day when you leave the house, because you can't be assured your rig won't get broken into during the night?
3. Does this open up the possibility that because you were "Just running into town" and left the bag locked in the closet by the door, that moment will be the time when the SHTF and you're without your bag and gear.
We live in a rather rural area of northern Utah and this type of theft is becoming more and more common place. Makes me sick.
I'm anxious to hear opinions from this group. My personal wish is that I could keep my AR carbine behind the seat in my truck, my bag locked in the back with a spare .45 in it and my EDC on my belt. But I just don't think it's safe to do that anymore.

I try not to keep guns in my cars, but it happens sometimes. I live in a very nice neighborhood with cameras at the entrance, but I lock my shit up, and there is no way I would sleep through a car alarm. It sucks, but crime is so pervasive now that nowhere is safe. Not out in the sticks, and not in high end suburbs.

As an emergency preparedness instructor, you don't carry? I would think this would a maxim to always have a gun on you. I know when I go to a sporting event of somewhere that requires me to be disarmed I definitely notice. I definitely feel like I have fewer options if something bad goes down.

I'll add that even though I don't need a permit in my state I have one anyway so I can carry in any free state. I avoid the slave states like the plague.

I try not to keep guns in my cars, but it happens sometimes. I live in a very nice neighborhood with cameras at the entrance, but I lock my shit up, and there is no way I would sleep through a car alarm. It sucks, but crime is so pervasive now that nowhere is safe. Not out in the sticks, and not in high end suburbs.

As an emergency preparedness instructor, you don't carry? I would think this would a maxim to always have a gun on you. I know when I go to a sporting event of somewhere that requires me to be disarmed I definitely notice. I definitely feel like I have fewer options if something bad goes down.

I'll add that even though I don't need a permit in my state I have one anyway so I can carry in any free state. I avoid the slave states like the plague.
I do carry daily, my EDC is a Kimber Pro Carry 1911. My issue is primarily what to do for my wife. She can't always carry on her person. And now I'm even wondering if its safe to leave the bag in the vehicle. I also wish I could keep a shotgun or carbine in the truck, but I just don't dare. And I agree with you, if I can't carry, like into the courthouse or school, I feel absolutely naked.

Hello to all. While I'm not new to shooting I'm new to the site and welcome all comments on this topic. At 65, I've been around the block a few times and not much surprises me anymore. Last week, my wife and I returned to our home in Utah from teaching a class on emergency preparedness in a nearby community. It was late and we parked the SUV outside by the side deck, which is well lighted so we could unload the 72 hr Bug out Bags, the range bag and other paraphernalia we used to teach the class. I brought everything in the house except my wife's get-home bag, which is normally kept in the back of her rig. I did not realize that we had stowed her Springfield XDM and 3 mags full of ammo into her bag. Normally, that would have been in the range bag, but in our haste to clean up the gear after the class, it was placed in her pack.
The next morning at 0600, I went out to start the day and found the doors open to her rig and all the gear was gone. I keep detailed records, photos and serial number logs of all tools and firearms, so the police had everything they needed to verify it was ours if it showed up.
Here's the question... "Should you keep a weapon in your "Get Home" bag and leave it in your vehicle, whether it's locked in the trunk or the back storage area?"
I am just sick, it makes me nauseous to think our gun could be used in the commission of a crime against someone else.
FACTORS and OPTIONS...
1. The XD is my wife's choice for a durable get home battle gun. It is not her EDC. Does she need to take it to the rig everyday when she leaves to teach? She's not allowed to have it on her person at the school.
2. Do you end up leaving the bag locked in a closet by the back door and grabbing it every day when you leave the house, because you can't be assured your rig won't get broken into during the night?
3. Does this open up the possibility that because you were "Just running into town" and left the bag locked in the closet by the door, that moment will be the time when the SHTF and you're without your bag and gear.
We live in a rather rural area of northern Utah and this type of theft is becoming more and more common place. Makes me sick.
I'm anxious to hear opinions from this group. My personal wish is that I could keep my AR carbine behind the seat in my truck, my bag locked in the back with a spare .45 in it and my EDC on my belt. But I just don't think it's safe to do that anymore.

You just joined and that's like your first post????
:unsure:

So on the chance you are legit, here is a couple things to think about:

Do you have a garage? If so why are you not parking in it? Is the stuff taking up space in your garage actually worth more than your vehicle & it's contents?
It's really common for folks to have maybe $4k worth of junk in the garage and leave $60k sitting out on the driveway.

If you are living in an area where your cars are being broken into right by your house, it's time for a serious security upgrade if you aren't moving, which may need to include high fences or such and gates for you to drive into and out of.

Stuff happens, if a criminal wants a gun, they will have one, and it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things if they stole your pistol or not, it's barely a blip on the sea of crime, just make sure you have yourself covered that it was stolen by reporting it to the police. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

If you can make the needed adjustments to parking and security, then you can leave the go home bag and the pistol in the vehicle. If not well then you have to simply bring it inside and leave it by the door and put it in and out each day.

You just joined and that's like your first post????
:unsure:

So on the chance you are legit, here is a couple things to think about:

Do you have a garage? If so why are you not parking in it? Is the stuff taking up space in your garage actually worth more than your vehicle & it's contents?
It's really common for folks to have maybe $4k worth of junk in the garage and leave $60k sitting out on the driveway.

If you are living in an area where your cars are being broken into right by your house, it's time for a serious security upgrade if you aren't moving, which may need to include high fences or such and gates for you to drive into and out of.

Stuff happens, if a criminal wants a gun, they will have one, and it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things if they stole your pistol or not, it's barely a blip on the sea of crime, just make sure you have yourself covered that it was stolen by reporting it to the police. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

If you can make the needed adjustments to parking and security, then you can leave the go home bag and the pistol in the vehicle. If not well then you have to simply bring it inside and leave it by the door and put it in and out each day.
I love that you brought up the "Why isn't the vehicle in the garage?" question! Now perhaps I can get my wife to let me make a serious dump run. $4K of stuff in the garage and $60K in the driveway, no sh*t, well stated.

I love that you brought up the "Why isn't the vehicle in the garage?" question! Now perhaps I can get my wife to let me make a serious dump run. $4K of stuff in the garage and $60K in the driveway, no sh*t, well stated.

If your wife protests a bit, just tell her how nice it will be for you and her to be able to pull into the garage when it's hot or raining or freezing outside and not have to worry about it and be able to get in your nice warm or cool car in the morning and drive off without having to go outside and brave the elements.

Not to mention from a personal safety standpoint you can pull in close the garage door and be sure you are not followed in before you unlock the doors.

My “get home” backpack goes to work and back with me every day. It doesn’t get left in the truck overnight, and certainly not in the parking lot at work. My work is in a rough part of town, and sometimes I have to go to remote spots outside of town. When I get to work it gets carried and placed under the table behind my desk. I grab it on the way out the door - whether it’s to go home or for a trip in the company truck.

Reactions: XLR308 and Balor
My “get home” backpack goes to work and back with me every day. It doesn’t get left in the truck overnight, and certainly not in the parking lot at work. My work is in a rough part of town, and sometimes I have to go to remote spots outside of town. When I get to work it gets carried and placed under the table behind my desk. I grab it on the way out the door - whether it’s to go home or for a trip in the company truck.
Is there a weapon in it or do you have your EDC on your person?

Is there a weapon in it or do you have your EDC on your person?
I conceal carry my EDC on my person.
My get home bag has a SBR AR and mags in it.
A plate carrier lives in the truck.

I’ve got my concealed on me and any time I go anywhere I make sure I have enough gun and ammo to get my ass home. The further I go the more I haul.

I suppose it’s a reasonable thing to have it in the car. However, being that the risk of theft is unavoidable, I’d stock it with a reliable, but not indispensable, sidearm. I don’t think your risk is higher for repeat theft. Criminals who hit you probably assume you won’t make same mistake twice, so I would assume your risk is back to baseline.

You cannot feel responsible for a criminal’s activity. No different than one stealing your car and injuring someone in a wreck. The correct response is rage, not regret.

Your words:

Herein lies your problem. You know full well what changes you must make. You have come here to attempt to find validation of those changes. Why ?

Reactions: Balor
Never leave anything in your vehicle, it take mere seconds for someone to break in and take something, especially anything visible, easy to grab such as a bag. Exceptions would be if you had one set up with the security drawers, an alarmed vehicle and in a semi secure area. Crimes of opportunity, especially if folks leave a vehicle unlocked.

Reactions: Balor
Never leave anything in your vehicle, it take mere seconds for someone to break in and take something, especially anything visible, easy to grab such as a bag. Exceptions would be if you had one set up with the security drawers, an alarmed vehicle and in a semi secure area. Crimes of opportunity, especially if folks leave a vehicle unlocked.
You can get your windows busted out just for leaving an empty plastic bag in the back seat of your car. Anything that looks like it might have a potential value will cause the window to break and some opportunist to reach for it.

Your words:

Herein lies your problem. You know full well what changes you must make. You have come here to attempt to find validation of those changes. Why ?
Seeking validation and further light and knowledge is never a problem, it's a virtue. While I may have impulses to change based on what's happened, getting feedback and observations from others only helps broaden my perspective. You need to change your paradigm.

At this point, the only safe alternative I can see, is to take the bag in and out, everyday, leaving nothing in the vehicle. It was said earlier, "Now they know what you have." this is true and the likelyhood that the thieves will "Forget" which house they scored the mother lode at, is very slim. Such a shame it's come to this. But the bag belongs in the rig, that's what it's there for. So each day, it goes in and comes back out at night. That's the only way to keep it and us safe. Thanks for the feedback, it's been enlightening.

Reactions: MadDuner
I keep multiple guns and loaded mags at easy access for me to assure me I get the best chances of me getting home , I can't and wont care about theother party they signed there own fate by attacking . Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 .

Seeking validation and further light and knowledge is never a problem, it's a virtue. While I may have impulses to change based on what's happened, getting feedback and observations from others only helps broaden my perspective. You need to change your paradigm.
I just did

You teach classes on emergency preparedness but yet ask keyboard warriors what you should keep in an emergency bag…..oh the irony~

• Haha
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Here's the question... "Am I an idiot for leaving a firearm in my unlocked vehicle?"

Yes.

Aside from running into somewhere you can't take your firearms and leaving it out of sight in a LOCKED vehicle, leaving guns in cars is fucking dumb unless it's very secure.

I find it strange that you're teaching classes on emergency preparedness and here you are asking about this and apparently don't lock your vehicles either.

Take your shit in your house, and lock your vehicle.

Yes.

Aside from running into somewhere you can't take your firearms and leaving it out of sight in a LOCKED vehicle, leaving guns in cars is fucking dumb unless it's very secure.

I find it strange that you're teaching classes on emergency preparedness and here you are asking about this and apparently don't lock your vehicles either.

Take your shit in your house, and lock your vehicle.
The "Chat Bot" is perfecting it's skills on influencing the red necks.