• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Do I need an Aimpoint???

toshu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Arizona
Gents

some recent discussions about Aimpoint sights has me wondering if I need one.................and would like your input.

First off, I have never fired a gun with an Aimpoint or Eotech sight. I did get to briefly handle an M4 rifle with an old holographic sight, probably an Eotech, when i sat in on a Sub gun qualification course that the local Sheriff was having(no I did not participate shoot). I have read that Aimpoints are more robust than Eotechs, but know nothing more, nor am I familiar with any of the models and their attributes.

I have a bunch of ARs, all of them with the old style handle upper. No flat tops, i will probably build one up as a flat top at some point. As I have gotten older, my eyesight has gotten worse. I now need reading glasses, and when i recently took out my guns to sight them in after 10 years sitting in the safe, I realized that I really have a hard time sighting in the guns with regular, old style iron sights.

I do have a flat top AR 10, and I mounted a scope on it, and by adjusting the focus, I am good to go.....but I want to have something on one of my 223 guns to be able to accurately use the gun in all situations.

The other consideration for me is that I have been unemployed for 3 years, so spending money "just for the heck of it" is not what I want to do now.

Re: Do I need an Aimpoint???

"The other consideration for me is that I have been unemployed for 3 years, so spending money "just for the heck of it" is not what I want to do now."

Sounds like you don't NEED one.

I do NEED something that will help me see my target accurately enough to hit it, so please share you thoughts..

I personally prefer the Aimpoint over eotech. The biggest reason is battery life. Now I will say, that I feel like the eotech has a better “field of view” and the reticle is nice and fast, but I was changing batteries every month. My T1 has been left on for over a year now…. So pretty much seals the deal for me. I like both, both are quality optics.

Now as far as your eyesight, most of the “older” guys that I shoot with have a hard time with red dots, they all tend to shoot a 1-6 scope. Obviously would be best to at least look through both of them before you drop any coin on one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaneK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now as far as your eyesight, most of the “older” guys that I shoot with have a hard time with red dots, they all tend to shoot a 1-6 scope. Obviously would be best to at least look through both of them before you drop any coin on one.
</div></div>

Hmm...interesting...I thought that a red dot might be a "solution" to my eyesight.....

Not really. That dot can get blurry as well. (depending on eye condition)

I would go with low power variable myself.

I love my EOtech. Having both eyes open while I shoot is nice. It's been plenty reliable and I haven't had to change the batteries yet, so I'm well satisfied.

Any stores in our area that will let you go look and feel one?I like my wife's Aimpoint but actually prefer my C-More because the optic is a lot smaller. The dots are bout the same and both are quality optics as are Eotechs, Acogs, etc. Shooting someone's is the best way to tell if you NEED one.

Awhile back Aimpoint provided us with some various models to try during a training. I had the Pro mounted on an AR for the two days. I'm completely sold.

Since I don't own one I can't talk about long-term reliability or the battery life. I will say, however, that when I do have the need I will be getting a Pro for several reasons. First, I really love the idea that you can keep the sight on and the lense covers closed and still use the sights (cover closest to the shooter is clear while the the other is black). Second, the mounting system is super simple. It's idiot proof and consistent. The established reputation of Aimpoint sights is well know - reliability and battery life come to mind.

I'd give a Pro a try.

Screw Eotech only red dot weapon sights I run are the aimpoint t1 and aimpoint comp4 I have probably 50k plus rounds behind each of em. Best bar none

I used to use the old Aimpoints a long time ago and my experience with them was they where garbage never held zero, poor battery life, not very water resistant, and used an awkward battery size that was hard to find in third world countries. I first was issued an eo-tech in 2003, and is was night and day better than the old Aimpoints that I had used. We also used them on our M2s. Anyhow no issues what so ever with them other than the AA battery life was not very good(I throw mine out everyday and put new ones in).

However that was yesterday this is today and I believe the new Aimpoints are extremely robust and entirely a new design than the old M68s and have the better technology in terms of battery life and maintaining zero. I still have my trusty eo-tech which has served me well the 4+ years I was overseas, but I must give it to aimpoint and the crazy long battery life.

EOTechs have their real world limitations. The 552 that I own is about the only one that I haven't personally seen fail. Wandering zeros, shutting off under recoil, internals coming loose, WAY short battery life to the tune of a battery change every 4 hours... all kinds of good stuff.

A bunch of people have issues with the EOTech turning itself off because they want full control over their weapon system. Their gripe is out of my lane and I don't fully understand it, but I do understand that I change the battery in my T1s once a year (cause I can, not cause I have to - they should last ~5yrs) and just leave em on.

When looking at for an RDS to go on a rifle, the ONLY optic I'm interested in currently is the Aimpoint T1 on a LaRue LT660 mount.

The dot can blur/bloom a little depending on your eyesight and selected brightness but lets keep something in mind here: A Mil-Spec AR15 is a 4MOA weapon. You're already at the size of the dot without adding ammo or shooter to the equation. If you NEED a more precise shot, dial down the intensity.

Regarding magnified optics - To quote someone who has forgotten more than I will probably ever know: "Optics don't help you shoot better, they help you see better."

FWIW, I have my M&P 15-22 set up exactly like my 5.56 ARs except I have a Primary Arms T1 knockoff in an ADM mount. It isn't something I'd put on a real blaster, but it makes for good practice with similar equipment.

don't care i've watched too many fail, i've never seen a aimpoint fail. fuck eotechs. i don't care how many 3 day carbine classes they make it through, i've had them on my guys guns for years at a time and hundreds of range days. don't like em and never will

Depending on how bad your eyes have become, and whether you have an astigmatism, a red dot might actually be this big oblong looking blob.

I suggest looking through one before you buy.

Aimpoint vs Eotech......this could go on forever and comes down to personal preference. Red dots for aging eyes AIN'T a good combo go look thru one first you'll see what I mean. If you have any astigmatism forget the Eotech, but the Aimy is only a little better. Stop screwing around get at least a 1-4 optic you'll be WAY happier, trust me. Old eyes need a little help.

Had an Eotech, wasn't impressed, have since sold it. My AR now has an Aimpoint Comp M3 on it, I am impressed, and I like it quite a bit. That said, if aging eyesight is your problem, I'd look at a low power variable, not a red dot.

I still prefer my Aimpoint. From battery life is one of the biggest advantages. In several carbine classes you see people power down their Eotechs each chance they get. I leave mine on all day til we're done.

Eotechs seem to do better with moving targets with a slight increase in field of view. Still not enough for me to keep mine.

Sold the Eotech and plan on a second Aimpoint.

A holographic weapon sight is not a red dot sight.
EOTech weapon sights are holographic, and available with several reticles to suit whatever your purpose may be, an aimpoint has a dot. I have extensive experience with both systems and I can comfortably say the EOTech is far and away the better sight for two eyes open reflexive fire. The square window blocks less of your vision and provides a larger firing window when your cheek position shifts during movement. That larger window is important, because unlike an aimpoint the EOTech is parallax free. No matter where your face is, if the dot is on your target, the shot will land, and the larger viewing area gives you more margin of error when (inevitably) your face moves during rapid movement and fire.
The newer models have the on/off, NV and battery cap moved to the side so all are accessible with a magnifier in place.
I am less impressed with the durability and build quality of EOTech's 5## series. The xps2, xps3 and exps3 are all bombproof and I have seen them function tirelessly and accurately without fail on everything from a lever action 22 to an M40 Grenade launcher.

Having said that the xps series of EOTech's are not sleek, they are bulky systems and may screw the balance of your rifle up. And they all get dramatically worse battery life than aimpoints, I however have never had an issue taking 1/2 second to press a button to turn mine on and off when needed. The push button adjustment for brightness is not as readily accessible as the aimpoint's knob, but does have the added benefit of coming back to the last brightness setting it was at when turned off and on.

They are however, different sights with a different use.

Both systems however, have been and currently are in use by the us military because they are exceptional in their intended range of use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hk dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on how bad your eyes have become, and whether you have an astigmatism, a red dot might actually be this big oblong looking blob.

I suggest looking through one before you buy. </div></div>

Yep, I think as a result of all these good comments, I need to find me someone with an Aimpoint on there AR and give it a try for myself. It may indeed be a red blob and i may need to go with a low power scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The other consideration for me is that I have been unemployed for 3 years, so spending money "just for the heck of it" is not what I want to do now."

Sounds like you don't NEED one. </div></div>

This. It's just the truth. If you've been unemployed that long and have a strict budget you might want to start investing in yourself with some classes to find a new job instead of spending money on a hobby. Never too old to learn something new. That's why you're on this forum isn't it?

If you can't see through iron sights you need to be looking at a low magnification scope so you can adjust the focus to your eyes. What happens when your batteries fail and you're left with nothing BUT back up iron sights?

+1 to this.
Both Aimpoints and EOTechs are pretty useless if your vision is bad and neither of them are cheap.

Also, while they certainly have the cool factor, I think the majority of people would be happier with an adjustable magnification low power scope.

For a home defense gun or any rifle primarily for shorter range shooting, <span style="font-weight: bold">nothing</span> beats a quality Red Dot for speed and ease of use from difficult shooting positions. Even with some moderate astigmatisum, should that be the case. Swap one of your current uppers to a new flat top upper receiver and try it yourself. Only way to know for sure and upper receivers are cheap. (Be sure to match your barrel's feed ramps - A2 vs M4.

For general range use where you regularly shoot over 100 yds or need help with target identification, then yeah - a magnified optic is the way to go for older eyes.

I'm in the older eyes category and have some astigmatism as well, and shoot more at 200 meters and beyond than CQB ranges. I do some three gun as well (usually magnified), but no love is lost /w a Red Dot for the shorter range matches.

My home defense gun and a truck gun (read serious use rifles) both have Aimpoints that also co-witness the iron sights. This gives me the ability to shoot two-eyes-open (unlimited field of view), with low light capability, and retain a back-up sighting system. I leave them on at all times and change the batteries at 18 months or so. Everything else in the black rifle category have magnified optics.

With 50 right around the corner, I've made the switch to the little 1.5X ACOGs. I like the TA44S-10s. That little extra magnification really helps and I don't get the blobish reticle. It sort of the best of both worlds. Eotech type reticle with high reliability.

Without getting into a pissing match, Aimpoint's do exactly what they are designed to do, for a very long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mac37</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without getting into a pissing match, Aimpoint's do exactly what they are designed to do, for a very long time. </div></div>

+1