• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do i need to wax?

Texasflyer

Koala Gladiator
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Texas
    So i wanted a little adjustability on my varmit rifle. I love wood stocks and figured a boyds at one walnut stock would be a decent way to go. The fit of the action was perfect, no inletting needed. My bitch is that it looked like walmart furniture as far as the finish is concerned. Runs and shit brown stain, all kinds of trash in it. So i cant take it and about an hour after getting it im sanding it down. This is a really pretty peice of wood. My major bitch is that you can buy their other stocks with a length of pull choice and unfinished. But the at one has no lenth of pull options and even though its adjustable is only 1/4" shorter than my original stock, and you can only get it finished. So i paid 50 bucks or so more for extra work and still have to wait a month for truoil to cure anyways. I will say that the shape of it was super rough and it needed the sanding to help shape it anyways. I just ordered some birchwood casey high luster gun stock wax, but was thinking of just using bees wax from a toilet ring. Does anybody wax their guns? What do you use?

Reactions: The D
    I use this on my Cooper 57M.

Maxwell

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      572.9 KB · Views: 65
    So i wanted a little adjustability on my varmit rifle. I love wood stocks and figured a boyds at one walnut stock would be a decent way to go. The fit of the action was perfect, no inletting needed. My bitch is that it looked like walmart furniture as far as the finish is concerned. Runs and shit brown stain, all kinds of trash in it. So i cant take it and about an hour after getting it im sanding it down. This is a really pretty peice of wood. My major bitch is that you can buy their other stocks with a length of pull choice and unfinished. But the at one has no lenth of pull options and even though its adjustable is only 1/4" shorter than my original stock, and you can only get it finished. So i paid 50 bucks or so more for extra work and still have to wait a month for truoil to cure anyways. I will say that the shape of it was super rough and it needed the sanding to help shape it anyways. I just ordered some birchwood casey high luster gun stock wax, but was thinking of just using bees wax from a toilet ring. Does anybody wax their guns? What do you use?

If you're gonna use a toilet ring for your wax, make sure it's a new ring...
    😂😂

if you wanna be the manolantern then who am I to stop you . A complete video of your waxing experience would be funny to see , and while I can't promise not to laugh other wise yes you should totally try it .

1620166977797.png

good luck and god bless you .

If you're gonna use a toilet ring for your wax, make sure it's a new ring...
    😂😂
    Used would be a rought way to go lol. I use 60 beeswax% 30% candle wax and 10% vasoline for my cast bullet lube. I keep seeing bees wax as a wood polish. Just wondering if anyone went that route lol.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    It depends on what you want it to look like when you're done and how much protection you need for the wood. Walnut has open pores so if you want it real smooth you will need to fill the pores. A Danish Oil finish is very simple just wipe it on let it set for a few minutes and wipe it off, let it dry and repeat. This offers some protection for the wood as it has a varnish resin in it. Wax will offer almost no protect from anything. If you want a super smooth shiny finish you will need to fill the pores and then use an oil base varnish or poly top coat. That also probably offers the most protection too.

Paging @pmclaine...

He is expert. I believe he'll tell you cold-pressed linseed oil though... Not that boiled crap.

I love the pure tung oil and cold pressed linseed oil.

But.....

It's kind of puritan.

@Bigfatcock suggested an oil in my "Do I need a shotgun thread" that looks like it would build a deep surface.

@Bigfatcock is the resident expert on handling wood.

This stufff.....

The wood in the gallery is exceptional.

Im such a disappointment by choosing "homespun" over silk brocade.

Reactions: Texasflyer
    I wonder if a simple paste floor wax would work. Johnson’s brand comes to mind

Reactions: phxfa
    This stufff.....

The wood in the gallery is exceptional.

Im such a disappointment by choosing "homespun" over silk brocade.
    Ugh, just when I thought I was beginning to get something figured out... You swoop in to inform me that I know nothing again, haha!

Wax ring for a toilet?
    Geezus, just get some beeswax.
    Pretty sure its got other pooprietary ingredients besides beeswax. It may be great for bullet lube, but its sticky as shit.

I sanded my ADL stock to bare wood and used minwax stain and a matte poly to finish it. I think it came out pretty good, but it's what I was looking for in the first place.

I would like to see pics of the finished product when you are done.

Wax ring for a toilet?
    Geezus, just get some beeswax.
    Pretty sure its got other pooprietary ingredients besides beeswax. It may be great for bullet lube, but its sticky as shit.
    I mean it states right on the box thats its bees wax. Im gonna try the birchwood casey stock wax i ordered. I agree though it is sticky and paste like, probably make the stock feel like ya peeled an old sticker off of it everywhere

Reactions: Merle
    Im not of fan of waxing it.

If you oil, than want to re-oil you will have to wax off first.

The oil won't penetrate as well otherwise.

If I have oil on my stick it gets oiled hand love only, nothing else.

I will exchange the two I use, often using my tung over linseed but that's all that ever gets used.

My guns are utilitarian in nature.

Some have gained "shine" from a lot of self handling but flat finish and parkerizing is my taste.

Reactions: Aftermath
    Hey bro, wanna shoot my rifle? tell me if the stock smells like shit to you.......

• Haha
    Reactions: Jscb1b
    I use linseed oil as well. Might take a bit the first pass after sanding (do not blow the dust off the stock, it fills micro holes). The bummer is that you have to let it dry between applications with your fingers. I usually do stock work in the summer as putting one out in the sun helps to speed the process...just be aware of the weather. If you go too heavy on linseed that shit will take a week to dry too.

After your 3rd or 4th application, you'll really only need a half dozen drops of the linseed oil to completely coat the stock. 7-8 coats will get you a very nice high gloss finish. Give it a few days to dry in a good climate controlled area, and then I'll apply a coat of Renaissance Wax.

This process is much more about the journey than it is the destination. I love it as a passion, but wouldn't want to try to do it for a living.

You can see i rounded and smoothed out alot of the angular look of the stock. Im pretty happy with how its turning out. All work is done by hand, no power tools allowed except the drill press to install the bedded pillars.

I use tru oil, im just wondering if there is a wax that i can polish it with and aid in water repellent also
    I use this for stocks that I have refinished, furniture that needs some bling and bowls or other objects I turn on a lathe.
    Cheers

I will say, flushing the buttpad without the spacer is great, but i needed to trim about 3 rounds from the acme thread and the bottom slider rod had about 1/4" trimmed from it as well.

Gonna hunt bobcats with it this weekend and finish coating it next week. Going with the high luster birchwood casey stock wax this time, but gonna try some of the crystalline wax next time fron rennisance.

Ok, so i got the birchwood casey wax in today and tried it on a few different rifles. I will say that from now on i will wax any metal on a gun i own thats blued. Matte finish stocks wasnt a great result. But on the gloss finish it is nice, i think it does better on the metal and i like the thought of sealing it against moisture and rust.

That is a very nice looking rifle! I prefer less gloss but to each his own, that's still a great looking job that I know took a long time and lots of effort to achieve. Kudos!

Reactions: DAMNKID
    That is a very nice looking rifle! I prefer less gloss but to each his own, that's still a great looking job that I know took a long time and lots of effort to achieve. Kudos!
    Thank you it did take a lot of time and work it’s was pretty rough and rusty sat wrapped in a towel for over 20 years. I hear you on the satin type finish, but my friend who bought the rifle new in 66 wanted it glossy.

believe that your gun does not need polishing; it already looks great. Such guns do not need it at all. By the way, the weapon is very cool; where can I get the same?
    I have a friend who polishes his gun with ordinary wax. I don't understand how this is possible at all, but he does it. He does not look for easy ways at all, but on the contrary, only complicates his life. Oh, well.
    I don't like using glue. With ordinary wax, I only seal up the holes that I find. It seems to me that the wax copes with this task perfectly.
    I love to steal my wife's candles and use them for various stupid things. They just smell amazing.

Last edited:
    Im not of fan of waxing it.

If you oil, than want to re-oil you will have to wax off first.

The oil won't penetrate as well otherwise.

If I have oil on my stick it gets oiled hand love only, nothing else.

I will exchange the two I use, often using my tung over linseed but that's all that ever gets used.

My guns are utilitarian in nature.

Some have gained "shine" from a lot of self handling but flat finish and parkerizing is my taste.
    This

Reactions: pmclaine
    Just me but screw truoil.

I like this stuff very much and have it on some beautiful shotgun stocks