• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Do I really need Pillars?

Barney88PDC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2009
Ft.Worth, TX
I just got my McMillan Game Scout stock yesterday which was the last peice I needed to complete my build. I was going to go in my shop and bed the action this morning as I have bedded a few guns and all of them shot really well afterward. I had dry fit all the parts to finger bang it a bit and take a few pictures yesterday. Well I pulled the action out of the stock and discovered that I must not have ordered the stock with pillars installed.

Well no big deal I thought as I figured they would be in the box of parts that I kept everything in but cannot find any. I am not sure if I misplaced them or if I just never got any. Either way I got to thinking do I really even need them.

My only concern if I do put them in is that the current holes in the stock for the action screws appear to be about 3/8" diameter eyeballing it and the pillars that I have installed in the past required a 5/8" hole. No biggie as I have a drill bit and have opened up that hole prior to bedding an action to put in the pillars in the past. My concern is that if I would open up the rear action screw hole (the one for the tang) that there would not be much if any fiberglass left between that hole and the inlet area for the trigger. I guess I could have someone machine me one for the rear that would be smaller say 1/2" or so?

But do I really even need them? If so I do not own a lathe so cutting some long then milling them flush is not totally out of the realm of possibility but I do not own that equipment. I could take measurement and have some cut but if I am off then, too short and they are really not doing anything and too long well now I need a mill.

The action is a Surgeon 1086, the stock is a McMillan Game Scout and the bottom metal is Badger M4.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Re: Do I really need Pillars?

there never seems to be much room to put that rear piller in but I personally haven't had any problems with it be that thin. over time the stock may crush a little without them.

Go down to the local electric/hardware store and buy a short length of the 3/8th inch all-threaded pipe that is used to mount lamp parts. Cut a few pieces to length of that and us it as your pillars. The threads give a secure bond and the internal diameter clears action screws.

A short piece of 3/8" stainless tubing works OK too. Rough up the OD a bit, cut to close size with hacksaw, final fit with a file or Dremel.

Just did a CZ550, for Africa. Gun shot great when new 3 years ago, sat in very dry safe. Wood warped, now not shoot so good, wood hard on barrel on port side. Take apart, seewhatsamatter.

Bed action, replacing CZ's original pillar's, that were not glued in, bed BM, open barrel channel. Now shoots .6" group off bipod. Point of story, those orginal pillars are simply mild steel tubing. Would have been OK, if glued in, and fitted.

Good luck!