• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do it all hunting rifle?

OP, when you say "do it all hunting rifle," what exactly do you want to hunt and where? I'd say figure that out first and then plan your rifle build/purchase from there. The type of cartridge and rifle you chose will depend heavily on the answers to those questions. For example, a person hunting elk in open terrain of the Rockies, will want lightweight, scoped mountain rifle chambered in something like 300 WM or .30-06 (those are 2 examples). Someone hunting white tail in the densely vegetated northeast will probably be just fine with a rifle chambered in a lighter cartridge and may not even need a scope. Someone hunting dall sheep in Alaska is going to want an absolute tack driver. The rifle used for predator or rodent control is probably going to need a little bit of a thicker barrel to deal with the heat from multiple shots.

I can tell you from personal experience that a target/tactical rifle (like a Remington 700 5r) is not a good choice for a general purpose hunting rifle; that will prove to be far too heavy for hunting remote areas. You need just enough barrel thickness to get off 1 cold bore shot, and maybe 1-2 additional follow-up shots; the extra thickness on the 5r barrel is unnecessary weight (at least when it comes to most hunting applications). Likewise the scope, chassis and any extra accessories should be kept to a bare minimum for a hunting rifle....the ounces add up on long hikes.

Depending on where you plan to hunt, there may be some cartridges and setup's that are better suited to your needs. Two very versatile, and widely available, cartridges are .308 and .30-06. .308 can be suitable for all types of medium game and, with the right loads, can take down big game (elk, black bear) and even animals as big as Moose, though it isn't preferred for dangerous big game (brown bear, African predators). .30-06 is also suitable for most types of medium and bigger game, and some consider that cartridge to be a bare minimum for big predators (brown bear). There are obviously other cartridges which are much better at taking down the big end of the big game spectrum, but they will also be somewhat impractical for hunting smaller-sized game (more recoil, more expensive ammo, more meat damage). If you want a versatile hunting rifle, don't go overboard with the cartridge. Get a moderate, yet flexible, cartridge. You can always get a separate rifle for the ultra big and dangerous game if you get into that aspect of hunting down the road.

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with my newest pickup. Remington 700 American wilderness rifle. It comes in 30-06 and 300 win mag. Pretty light, decent stock, and cerakoted. Bought mine in the discontinued 338 rum chambering as a bear/elk hunting rifle. If I didn't have another 300, I would consider picking up another one. I like it more than I thought I would.

IMHO the best all around is either the 30-06 (if you need a light gun) and 300WM (if you need long range). I choose 30cal because there is a wider availability of bullets than 7mm and others. I have shot everything from prairie dogs and coyote with a 300WM and the 110VMAX, to deer and elk with the 200AB in the same rifle. But it is a Sendero and it is a bit of a pig in the Rockies on a 15 mile hike at ~11.8lbs. So I replaced it with a 338 Edge at 12.4lbs ;)

The 300WM really is my do-it-all rifle. But I have progressed a bit, due to recoil, and have split it between the 338 and 300 for big or long stuff and a 243AI for anything deer and smaller within 500 yards. But if I HAD to have just one rifle, it would be a 300WM or 30-06.

Anyone interested in the new Barret Fieldcraft rifles? With modern ammo and my hunting relegated to North America... I cannot foresee ever needing more juice than 6.5 CM.

Anyone interested in the new Barret Fieldcraft rifles? With modern ammo and my hunting relegated to North America... I cannot foresee ever needing more juice than 6.5 CM.

Sub MOA guarantee and 4.75 - 6 lbs is a great weight for a mountain rifle. But, I don't like rifles with blind magazines. I would really prefer to have either a hinged floor plate or a detachable box- preference to box mag. Moving ammunition in and out of a hunting rifle routinely is a PITA with a blind mag- but removing unspent ammo from a hunting rifle is a daily necessity. It's not that big of a deal when you know that every round you put in the rifle will go down range. But, with a MSRP of ~$1800 they are spendy but not exorbitantly so- priced a few 100 above a Ruger RPR. I think they have a lot to offer, but most of the parts say "proprietary" so they are kind of a "buy the rifle config you like and live with it" rifle. With a box mag and an adjustable check piece, the rifle would be a real hit- at least with me...

Win M70 in 300WM bedded in an Echols Legend stock with some metal work and cleanup by Penrod or Simillion.

A 30.06 or 308 will do the job on anything from brown bear to prairie dogs. A light weight 30.06 or even a 25.06 will take anything from Elk on down. A light weight rifle is essential for hunting unless you are gonna shoot from a blind and even there, you will still need to carry the damn thing back out. With larger game or more dangerous game, I would agree on the 375 H&H. Load that with solids and you are ready for water buffs and tigers and such. Actually, a tiger is pretty easy to kill, it is just the consequences of a poorly placed shot can be dire.

My advice to the op is pick a rifle & caliber you can (and WANT TO) shoot alot and become really proficient with without dreading & developing a real dislike for the experience.

I can tell you from experience that this is some great advice. When purchasing my first “long range” rifle I took the advice of a friend and bought a R700 5r in 300WM. I shot it for a couple years and had good results, but I got to the point that I had to psych myself up just to get behind it to practice.
Last year I traded it on a .308 and am much happier at the range. I would not feel handicapped pursuing anything short of grizzly.
Dont forget that the 6.5x55 is a favored moose round in Scandinavia. You don’t need a cannon to reliably kill game. You need good shot placement.

6.5 or 7 SAUM would be my choice. Gives you the extra oomph over their prospective little brothers but it's not an anti-aircraft round like a 28 nosler or 7mm STW. Enjoyable to shoot and carries plenty of energy to take medium to large game at long-med distance.

What's the target weight? I just got Dad's SR3 build back from SAC with a spiral fluted 3B, Manners MCS T carbon fiber, and an LRHS weighs right at 9lbs. Still has enough barrel to enjoy a range session though.

Just a follow up.....I’ve been looking around and was talking to my dad last week and he gave me a Ruger M77 MK2 270 that I hunted with as a teenager. Plus, I just picked up a new Remington 5r 300wm with a threaded barrel for a super price that i can run my suppressor on. If I don’t like the 5r I can sell it without losing anything. I appreciate all the feedback, but for now I plan to hunt with a 270 or 300wm depending on the hunt/conditions.

Just a follow up.....I’ve been looking around and was talking to my dad last week and he gave me a Ruger M77 MK2 270 that I hunted with as a teenager. Plus, I just picked up a new Remington 5r 300wm with a threaded barrel for a super price that i can run my suppressor on. If I don’t like the 5r I can sell it without losing anything. I appreciate all the feedback, but for now I plan to hunt with a 270 or 300wm depending on the hunt/conditions.

As a precision/target round, the .270 leaves a lot to be desired (partially due to available projectiles), but as a hunting round, I think you'll be really pleased with it. It's one of the North American go-to hunting cartridges for a reason. Add in the new(-ish) Hornady 145 gr ELD-X, and the ballistics get boost, too.

As a precision/target round, the .270 leaves a lot to be desired (partially due to available projectiles), but as a hunting round, I think you'll be really pleased with it. It's one of the North American go-to hunting cartridges for a reason. Add in the new(-ish) Hornady 145 gr ELD-X, and the ballistics get boost, too.

Yeah as a target round it’s not that great, but I’ve killed a number of deer with the Winchester Supreme 130gr Ammo.

Mine is a Savage lightweight hunter in. 308. Talley lightweight rings holding a Weaver Grand Slam fixed 4.75x scope.

Under 7 pounds with sling loaded. 1-1.25 MOA with factory ammo. Little better with handloads

I just got back from a Colorado deer hunt in the mountains elevation never below 9000 feet. I took my 6.5 saum shooting 140 berger hybrids at 3125 and it performed awesome on a nice 5x5 muley buck at about 450 yards. Heart lungs gone with a shot behind the shoulder and it stopped in the rib cage on the other side. Less than 5 feet from where he flinched he dropped and rolled over down the hill a couple times.

I didn't weigh my rifle before I went, I wanted to shoot it and didn't really care what it weighed although after reading some threads before I went on this very topic I wondered if it would be an issue as this is heaviest rifle I have hunted with, I've always had a sporter type rifle. But I've had hits on steel to 1580 yards with it and inside of 1000 its like cheating so I took it.

Specs:
Badger 2013 short action
AIAX chassis
26" proof barrel
S&B 5-25 PMII in a sphur mount.

Weighed it this morning after getting back from hunt becuase I had been reading everyone saying keep it unter 9-10 pounds. I had this one built with proof barrel to shave off some weight but as you can see that was only place weight was a consideration. It crossed the scales at 15.8 pounds no mag, no ammo. It does not feel that heavy to me, part of it I think is balance. If you have a heavy rifle that is muzzle heavy it is hard to carry hard to shoot offhand. I had a SAP sling on it carrying across my front and had a back pack on that was every bit as heavy as the rifle. Hiked somewhere between 4&6 miles in two days of hunting before I got my deer. I crossed ridges, rock slides and plenty of up and down walking. In fact I was just out of a rock slide when I saw him crossing a saddle to the next ridge when I got my shot.

To each his own I guess for hunting, I'm glad I had this setup, I was able to see the bullet hit the deer and the whole scene unfold rather than trying to get a 9 pound rifle back on target because of recoil in a lighter rifle being harder to manage espeically when time to setup a shot is seconds. I had no time to range him, no time to take off pack, no time to dial elevation or wind. I saw him trotting up hill onto next ridge and got rifle on a rock for a rest, when he stopped I shot. I'm not a guy that works out or goes to the gym I hate cardio and not once did I not go somewhere I wanted to go because of weight of either my pack or my rifle. If I were going on a high mountain sheep hunt I'd get a purpose built rifle but the average deer or elk hunt out of a camp where I can carry a day pack not a concern. I wouldn't over think it really. Build/buy a rifle you like and feel comfortable with and go with it.

My conclusions

I love the 6.5 SAUM for both target and hunting
Weight as long as it balances is not an issue and can be an advantage, I think the proof barrel helps keep weight in center of rifle rather than the muzzle.
Get a good sling for a heavy rifle and set it up so it keeps weight front and center. Hanging off one shoulder rifle on my back I'd probably have felt it but I don't carry my rifle that way.
the 5-25 was over kill for sure it was on 7x most of the time but this is my long range steel rifle so thats what it had on it.

P.S. I had a 9 ish pound Winchester model 70 7mm mag I took along just in case I got tired of heavy rifle and it never left it's case.

That's good to know. I wasn't brave enough to bring my axmc mule deer hunting. I gave it serious thought and just decided to leave it last minute. Next year I'll probably have to bring it along. Ended up bring my little hunting partner and pretty sure anything inside 500yds is out of the question.

I just got back from a Colorado deer hunt in the mountains elevation never below 9000 feet. I took my 6.5 saum shooting 140 berger hybrids at 3125 and it performed awesome on a nice 5x5 muley buck at about 450 yards. Heart lungs gone with a shot behind the shoulder and it stopped in the rib cage on the other side. Less than 5 feet from where he flinched he dropped and rolled over down the hill a couple times.

I didn't weigh my rifle before I went, I wanted to shoot it and didn't really care what it weighed although after reading some threads before I went on this very topic I wondered if it would be an issue as this is heaviest rifle I have hunted with, I've always had a sporter type rifle. But I've had hits on steel to 1580 yards with it and inside of 1000 its like cheating so I took it.

Specs:
Badger 2013 short action
AIAX chassis
26" proof barrel
S&B 5-25 PMII in a sphur mount.

Weighed it this morning after getting back from hunt becuase I had been reading everyone saying keep it unter 9-10 pounds. I had this one built with proof barrel to shave off some weight but as you can see that was only place weight was a consideration. It crossed the scales at 15.8 pounds no mag, no ammo. It does not feel that heavy to me, part of it I think is balance. If you have a heavy rifle that is muzzle heavy it is hard to carry hard to shoot offhand. I had a SAP sling on it carrying across my front and had a back pack on that was every bit as heavy as the rifle. Hiked somewhere between 4&6 miles in two days of hunting before I got my deer. I crossed ridges, rock slides and plenty of up and down walking. In fact I was just out of a rock slide when I saw him crossing a saddle to the next ridge when I got my shot.

To each his own I guess for hunting, I'm glad I had this setup, I was able to see the bullet hit the deer and the whole scene unfold rather than trying to get a 9 pound rifle back on target because of recoil in a lighter rifle being harder to manage espeically when time to setup a shot is seconds. I had no time to range him, no time to take off pack, no time to dial elevation or wind. I saw him trotting up hill onto next ridge and got rifle on a rock for a rest, when he stopped I shot. I'm not a guy that works out or goes to the gym I hate cardio and not once did I not go somewhere I wanted to go because of weight of either my pack or my rifle. If I were going on a high mountain sheep hunt I'd get a purpose built rifle but the average deer or elk hunt out of a camp where I can carry a day pack not a concern. I wouldn't over think it really. Build/buy a rifle you like and feel comfortable with and go with it.

My conclusions

I love the 6.5 SAUM for both target and hunting
Weight as long as it balances is not an issue and can be an advantage, I think the proof barrel helps keep weight in center of rifle rather than the muzzle.
Get a good sling for a heavy rifle and set it up so it keeps weight front and center. Hanging off one shoulder rifle on my back I'd probably have felt it but I don't carry my rifle that way.
the 5-25 was over kill for sure it was on 7x most of the time but this is my long range steel rifle so thats what it had on it.

P.S. I had a 9 ish pound Winchester model 70 7mm mag I took along just in case I got tired of heavy rifle and it never left it's case.

Great story, well done. It was almost like being there!

GAP 308 Rock. If I do my part everything falls into place

Attachments

• Deerslayer.jpg
    Deerslayer.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 42

15.8 lbs is too much for a mountain/backcountry rifle in my experience. Kudos to you if you were able to carry it on your back without issues. On still hunts through thick vegetation, I often have my rifle in one hand or alert to the dirt since game can appear in front of you at a moment's notice; 15.8 lbs in that kind of hunting would be a royal PITA, i don't care how in shape you are. Moreover, some hunts can average easily 8-9 miles per day; you're going to notice a difference between carrying a 15.8lb rifle and something like mine (~7lbs) covering those distances, especially if you're carrying game meat on the return trip.

If you plan on walking a little bit to the tree stand, a heavy target/tactical rifle may work out just fine. For backcountry hunting, I wouldn't bother with one. My 2 cents.

For mule deer hunting the area I hunt is mostly open hills and mountains covered in sparse trees with areas of thick vegetation around creeks. I hike 6-10miles a day my rifle was probably over 10lbs with the range finder attached to the sling. I also took my 4 year old along so was carrying a bunch of his stuff in my pack. I was easily 10lbs over my normal load after extra food, water, clothes etc.

i could easily see trimming a few pounds from my pack and taking a AI next year.

Now where i blacktail and elk hunt, no f'n way I'm taking an expensive gun. Between the brush and swamps and rocks. I would push myself over the edge if I had to worry about scrapes, scratches, and dings.

15.8 lbs is too much for a mountain/backcountry rifle in my experience. Kudos to you if you were able to carry it on your back without issues. On still hunts through thick vegetation, I often have my rifle in one hand or alert to the dirt since game can appear in front of you at a moment's notice; 15.8 lbs in that kind of hunting would be a royal PITA, i don't care how in shape you are. Moreover, some hunts can average easily 8-9 miles per day; you're going to notice a difference between carrying a 15.8lb rifle and something like mine (~7lbs) covering those distances, especially if you're carrying game meat on the return trip.

If you plan on walking a little bit to the tree stand, a heavy target/tactical rifle may work out just fine. For backcountry hunting, I wouldn't bother with one. My 2 cents.

This. At a minimum, dropping 7-8 lbs from the rifle weight means 7-8 more lbs of stuff you can carry. More aggressively, it means 7-8 lbs less stuff you need to carry. Without pack animals or guides, minimizing your weight on a back-country/mountain hunt means you can hike longer and farther with less stress and fatigue. And, as far as a backcountry trip is concerned, a rifle is about the least useful thing you can carry. Yes, you do need a rifle for a hunt- once, maybe twice. The rest of the trip is lugging that dead weight. A target rifle may be a dream to shoot, but it’s a nightmare to carry. Of course, I’m a little guy, a 15.6 lb rifle is 10% of my body weight. I’d rather carry more food and less rifle...

On my last elk trip, my pack weight- including clothing, boots, rifle and ammo, but excluding food and water- was 52 lbs. Add 7 days worth of food to that, and a few quarts of water, and 7 extra lbs of needless rifle weight and you are edging up onto a pretty heavy pack. A rifle doesn’t need to weigh a lot to have a repeatable cold bore shot, and that’s all you need for hunting...

But, if you’re man enough to carry it, I’ll not begrudge your choice of rifle.

Savage Lightweight Hunter chambered in 308 is the perfect, all around rifle, and "do it all" cartridge. IMO. Light, and packs pretty much the same punch as a 30-06, with less recoil and carry weight. And ammo is everywhere! Can also kill anything in North America without much fuss. No brainer.