• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do spiral flutes really affect anything?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
I'm kind of digging spiral flutes for some reason. Do u guys think they really affect anything?

Re: Do spiral flutes really affect anything?

The only argument I can see is the “possible” additional surface area for heat transfer. Other than that.....Cosmetic

They are cool looking but thats about it. Slight reduction in weight ( not much ) and slightly better heat transfer due to the more surface area. But also, some manufacturers are against it and can void warranty as it can inherently weaken the barrel, or so said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrOneEyedBoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are cool looking but thats about it. Slight reduction in weight ( not much ) and slightly better heat transfer due to the more surface area. But also, some manufacturers are against it and can void warranty as it can inherently weaken the barrel, or so said. </div></div>

How many barrels do u think go back for warranty service?? LOL

they kinda give me a semi if that counts. looks pretty cool and there are some new non traditional barrel treatments that look nice. im just afraid to do it and change a good shooting barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrOneEyedBoh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are cool looking but thats about it. Slight reduction in weight ( not much ) and slightly better heat transfer due to the more surface area. But also, some manufacturers are against it and can void warranty as it can inherently weaken the barrel, or so said. </div></div>

How many barrels do u think go back for warranty service?? LOL </div></div>

funny eh? yeah well most likely none. but if there is a problem with it, it could be denied. I'm just regurgitating what I've read on here.

Spiral flutes are longer than straight flutes and therefore...in theory...result in a greater weight reduction. In practice... they have a higher CDI factor.

They make mine harder than chicken lips!!

They double, no triple the awesomeness of your "plain" barrel. But, they have been a hinderance to accuracy. I can't help but to continue to stare at them with my left eye while attempting to get a good sight picture with my right eye. Awesome.

Seriously, asthetics, adding surface area for cooling and weight reduction seem to be the benefits.

If they are in the oposite direction of rifling then they will give a 70% increase in accuracy all the time in 50% of the barrels tested.

I only own one rifle that has spiral flutes. Im very happy with it and I can't imagine that accurancy has been affected from the fluting. The rifle shoots far above my standards. I think it adds alot of cosmetic appeal to the rifle and if you don't plan to keep it forever, it will usually help with the resale value.

you should not drink spin d when firing any rifle with spiral fluting. Recent studies in oxford have shown that if you do the chances of shooting yourself in the back increases 175.3% due to the boomerangiolous effect

I have one bolt that was spiral fluted. It is from a M2008 action and those are big bolts. I do think it helped smooth it up by taking a little bit of friction causing contact away.
As for spiral fluted barrels, I don't see what you guys see in them.

Hi if you want a spiral fluted barrel got a Rock Creek they get Campfield Customs to do the fluting and the finish is amasing it is better than most can achieve with straight fluting.

The benifites are the fluted remove more weight than straight fluting because they are longer than straight fluting and also they are slightly deeper.

As for accuracy we are fitting them on Palma barrels 34" long aswell as straight taper barrels in 223, 6mm, 7mm and 30cals. they are all amasing as regards to accuracy and as it is an option from Rock creek their is no problem with warrenty.

If you get any barrel manufacturers barrel fluted after it leaves their shop you will no longer have warenty as they do the final lapping after the fluting this is nothing to do with spiral fluting.

Geoff Grenfell used a 12.4 twist spiral fluted Rock Creek barrel 34" long to come 5th in the Long Range Full Bore world Championships and he had the most centres out of any shooter on the range.

Bottom line get the fluting from the company that supplies the barrel and you wil be good to go and i reccomend Rock Creek with their cut rifled barrels they just shoot.

ER Shaw claims to have a patent on spiral fluting and has threatened lawsuits against many barrel manufacturers.

(I know, I know, how do you patent that..., It is the threat of the lawsuit and the cost of defending it. Lawyers!).

Done properly on a good barrel blank, should have no negative effects. Fluting is mostly for appearance anyways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ER Shaw claims to have a patent on spiral fluting and has threatened lawsuits against many barrel manufacturers.

(I know, I know, how do you patent that..., It is the threat of the lawsuit and the cost of defending it. Lawyers!).

Done properly on a good barrel blank, should have no negative effects. Fluting is mostly for appearance anyways. </div></div>

If they have a patent and were the first to do it, they probably have a valid patent.

I believe KAC has a patent for dimpling a barrel. It's probably a valid patent.

It's on someone else to put the argument together to cover their ass if they want to do the same. If they have proof someone did it before the patent was submitted then they have a good argument for an invalid patent.

They look damn good if that is the look you are after.
sgtisg.jpg

There are so many different types of fluting that they are experimenting with these days. I would have to agree that it is more cosmetic.

We haven't found they affect anything negatively, but if your doing it for weight reduction go with wide, deep straight flutes.

Wow this got a lot of hits!! Thanks for the info fellas.

I'll just have to decide what I want. Sounds like they are good to some and not to others.

Anyone have pics of deep wide flutes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadlift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We haven't found they affect anything negatively, but if your doing it for weight reduction go with wide, deep straight flutes. </div></div>

Why do you say straight flutes? Will that remove more steel?

i wonder about the harmonics. ive heard about free floated barrels and points of contact on those barrels could change the harmonics of the energy or the velocity of the bullet, could spiraling with or spiraling against the rifling, as they where talking above, be affected? i am no machinist or scientist, but it is something i could see as possible

or am i way over thinking this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ER Shaw claims to have a patent on spiral fluting and has threatened lawsuits against many barrel manufacturers.

Done properly on a good barrel blank, should have no negative effects. Fluting is mostly for appearance anyways. </div></div>

Since a patent isn't as simple as "I invented spiral fluting", it's not as clear cut as some may think. Patent's require specific's, such as dimensions, rate of twist, shape of flute, so on and so fourth. If just one part of it is changed, the patent does not provide protection.

So, I doubt I'd worry to much on patent law being a factor.

yes they harness the power of unicorns and make you an uber sniper

i bet an engineer could do some quick math and determine that a spiral fluted barrel is less rigid than a straight fluted barrel of the same contour. enough to make a difference on target? doubtful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2 dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They make mine harder than chicken lips!! </div></div>

Those aren't hard.

You mean: "So hard a cat can't scratch it!"

Texicans, I swear....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They double, no triple the awesomeness of your "plain" barrel. But, they have been a hinderance to accuracy. I can't help but to continue to stare at them with my left eye while attempting to get a good sight picture with my right eye. Awesome.

Seriously, asthetics, adding surface area for cooling and weight reduction seem to be the benefits. </div></div> Please show proof that was obtained through testing that shows they hinder accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Affects the wallet for sure
laugh.gif
</div></div>
But they look sweet and if you have the cash and thats what you want then why not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CrazyDonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They double, no triple the awesomeness of your "plain" barrel. But, they have been a hinderance to accuracy. I can't help but to continue to stare at them with my left eye while attempting to get a good sight picture with my right eye. Awesome.

Seriously, asthetics, adding surface area for cooling and weight reduction seem to be the benefits. </div></div> Please show proof that was obtained through testing that shows they hinder accuracy. </div></div>

The internet really needs a sarcasm font. He explained that it hindered accuracy because he "can't help but to continue to stare at them" while "attempting to get a good sight picture".

Or you were being sarcastic and I didn't pick up on it, in which case, the internet really needs a sarcasm font.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm kind of digging spiral flutes for some reason. Do u guys think they really affect anything? </div></div>

Of course...CDI factor!

I have my 6mm-284 barrel spiral fluted. It's a heavier barrel it finishes at .940 at the muzzle and it still shoots 1/4moa all day long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotty22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> it still shoots 1/4moa all day long. </div></div>

I'll give you a million dollars for it. All day long? Any day? Rapid fire? wow....

For a million dollars you can have it. And no all day long was used as a figure of speech.

If you read Shilen's FAQ, they say flutes are not beneficial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scotty22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a million dollars you can have it. And no all day long was used as a figure of speech. </div></div>

lol - I had to call you out on that one. Nice shooting rifle I'm sure.

At least when they are shot out, they are easier to screw into the ground!

You have to make sure the spiraled flutes go in the same direction as the rifling. If the flutes go counterclockwise and the rifling is clockwise the flutes will slow down the spin of the bullet.

I heard a guy at the local gun shop talkin about it so it must be true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to make sure the spiraled flutes go in the same direction as the rifling. If the flutes go counterclockwise and the rifling is clockwise the flutes will slow down the spin of the bullet.

I heard a guy at the local gun shop talkin about it so it must be true.</div></div>

Haha at first I thought you were serious. What unit did he serve with? 10th Force Seal-Con Team 9 Ranger Jumpers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i bet an engineer could do some quick math and determine that a spiral fluted barrel is less rigid than a straight fluted barrel of the same contour. enough to make a difference on target? doubtful. </div></div>

No math needed, spiral flutes remove more material than strait flutes. You cannot remove material and make something more rigid. You can change the way it flexes or moves under stress but thats about it.... i think
smile.gif

surface area is not enough to matter. If you want surface area to increase media blast the barrel and it will increase exponentially

We have a few spiral fluted barrels and they shoot just as well as they did before we fluted them. I have never seen fluting of any sort change anything but the weight and looks.

Reactions: Wild Idaho

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KPK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm kind of digging spiral flutes for some reason. Do u guys think they really affect anything? </div></div>

yep...your pocketbook!

i rate spiral fluteing right up there with petacures and manacures,extremely"GAY".INMHO,but i also know there's people on here that have more money than time so spend it as you see fit.what ever drops your tailgate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i rate spiral fluteing right up there with petacures and manacures,extremely"GAY".INMHO,but i also know there's people on here that have more money than time so spend it as you see fit.what ever drops your tailgate. </div></div>
I suppose putting nice wheels on your car is "gay" too, wearing nice clothes, brushing your teeth and combing your hair must also be gay too... I don't see anything wrong with having a nice looking rifle but I'm kind of gay like that.