• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do they still make Varget???

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Boise, ID
Does anyone have a lead on some varget in stock?

I have been keeping an eye on a couple places that carry varget for the past couple of months hoping some would show up in stock, so far no luck. Now I am getting uncomfortably low and need to find some or quit shooting.

If we don't have a lead on any varget, what is another good powder to run in both .223 (77gr bullets) and .308 (175gr bullets)?

I run those bullet weights with RL-15, haven't seen any around here though. I also run H4895 with the heavy .223s

scheels store in Sioux falls sd and the ones in fargo and bismark nd each had a bunch of varget a week or so ago. Long ways away from you but they might ship. I don't know

Man, just be patient. This drought has lasted pretty long, even longer than the 2008-2009 drought, but it will end one day.

I've had VERY good luck with IMR 8208 XBR with 77gr Nos CC's. Got more MV with .5gr less powder.

m1a, I like IMR 4064 with Varget hard to get. burns just as clean and consistent from what I see, good stuff. for 308, IMR 4320(awesome for my 6.5) 4895, H335, all good powders. Cool part is, test loads are a great excuse to go shooting! :) And Varget is popping up in the NW, I just miss it by hours usually. If you see some, grab it up quick.

Does anyone have a lead on some varget in stock?

I have been keeping an eye on a couple places that carry varget for the past couple of months hoping some would show up in stock, so far no luck. Now I am getting uncomfortably low and need to find some or quit shooting.

If we don't have a lead on any varget, what is another good powder to run in both .223 (77gr bullets) and .308 (175gr bullets)?

You pick any Varget up today? I was at the Country Sportsman in Rome and they only had about 8 lbs left.

You pick any Varget up today? I was at the Country Sportsman in Rome and they only had about 8 lbs left.

I wasn't able to pick any up today as I had to work. I've got the day off tomorrow and I'm planning to head over in the morning if they've still got some when I call.

If they run out I'm tempted to try some Imr 4064.

4064 is my favorite 308 powder. Extremely accurate and clean. My only complaint is that its hard to meter. I have a keg in reserve always.

2000mr is another new powder that Ive been playing with lately. Seems pretty accurate and makes good velocities. I shot a f class match with it and did ok. Im going to shoot an across the course match in a couple of weeks with it as well. In my prelim load work ups Ive been able to hold x ring accuracy with it at 200 yards.

I saw it on two big shops driving home to visit family for xmas and at a gun show awhile back.

Never bad to have a backup option but I'm hopeful the drought is ending.

Try IMR 4064 for your 308 175gr bullets. My best groups were with 43.4 grains of IMR 4064, I was getting under 3 inch groups at 700 yards with a fixed 12 power scope.

Varget is made in Australia.

It comes to the US in batches. And there are only a couple of ships that can transport it.

So we go through dry spells and then it is available. And after a dry spell, people over buy to make it through the next dry spell. Making t go away faster, and making the dry spell longer.

Eventually people will have more than they need and it will be back to being available all the time.

Varget is made in Australia.

It comes to the US in batches. And there are only a couple of ships that can transport it.

So we go through dry spells and then it is available. And after a dry spell, people over buy to make it through the next dry spell. Making t go away faster, and making the dry spell longer.

Eventually people will have more than they need and it will be back to being available all the time.

Let's hope so.

I've seen 1 lb. and 8 lbs. at three different stores here in Ohio, price is still up there but we have some around at least.

I've had VERY good luck with IMR 8208 XBR with 77gr Nos CC's. Got more MV with .5gr less powder.

I've pretty much given up on seeing a reliable supply of Varget anymore. I now use IMR-4064 and IMR 8208 XBR in my .308 with CFE223 for my .223 Bolt Action and AR's.

Bought 32# of the CFE223 in October, last year. Just before Obama was re-elected and the "gun world" lost it's mind. Something tells me that the Canadian powders (IMR) will show up in bulk a lot sooner than the Australian Varget.

Varget is available and is coming out on a regular basis. I now have over 100 # myself

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

You must be the reason none of it is making it West of the Mississippi :) :)

This maybe part of the problem.How long and how many barrels would it take to shoot up over 100 pounds of powder?

Guys I have a reloading business and I get my powder direct from hodgdon its pretty much spoken for when its delivered. Yes I have my own stash but that's more like 30# or so just for me.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

This Varget shortage has forced me to look at other powders. Some old favorites and some new powders to the market (in the last couple years anyway).

For my .308 I've fallen back in love with IMR-4064 and also really like CFE223 along with IMR-8208 XBR. The 8208 XBR meters like we wish all powders did and the CFE-223 is nearly "Copper Free" even in my worst fouling bore. I've found equally accurate loads for all three and no longer am locked into the unobtainable, hard to meter, "crunchy" Varget. When it does come back in volume, I may not even bother with it again.

I picked up 8 one pound cans this weekend in the Spokane, WA area. It's my favorite powder..

scheels in my area just got in some 1lbs buckets.... I damn near called every other day as they say when and if they do get some in its gone in 1day.... im back up to about 8lbs of varget again and should get me through the rest of 2014