• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors do we have any sword experts onboard?

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
i have a old sword. i believe its a Flamberge Sword since the blade is curved like one. im going to get some pics tomorow but can anyone point me in a good researh direction. i tried google be it only points to folks selling reproductions and none of them looked like mine

Re: do we have any sword experts onboard?

ArcticLight knows something about Japanese swords, but I haven't heard much about other types on this board. If nobody can help, you might try googling for a sword forum, like http://www.swordforum.com .

im wrong that sword was worth 100 to the pawn shop not 2000

anyways here are some pics i believe its a kris sword

swordhogue014.jpg

swordhogue016.jpg

swordhogue015.jpg

swordhogue018.jpg

swordhogue017.jpg

Its definatly a Phillipino Kris you will be hard pressed to find any two the same.I lived there for several years and every area had local guys making Kris swords to sell to tourists.They make most of them out of car leafsprings.

They don't have alot of value you can buy them there for a couple of bucks.Yours may have a value if it has some kind of provinence.

A few to look at

http://www.google.com/images?q=filipino%...sa=N&tab=vi

Yes, it is a kris. Many of these knives are from the Philippines. But it could be from anywhere in southeastern asia, such as Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, etc.

The wavy blade promotes uneven cuts that get infected easier and don’t seal as easily. The curved hilt grip helps in stabbing and slashing strikes.

As far as value, it is probably not worth much, as kris as extremely common blades in Southeast Asia. You can get similiar knives from street vendors in Asia for $20 to $40 USD. That is unless you have proof that it was made or owned by someone famous, or if it has some religious value.

I agree with the others ... There are people that can tell you where the parts ( blade , handle , etc. ) are from , by the style they are made , but provenance , like paperwork stating it was "captured by CPL Somebody on Mindanao in 1899 from a Moro sultan" , is the only real way to add value . Sounds like you did well ...