• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you have a Labradar *and* Magnetospeed? When to use one vs. the other?

MDof2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2020
Magatopia
(edit: I have both.....) Curious from those who have both, why they keep the Magnetospeed and when they use it in place of the Labradar.
Thinking through in my head when I'd grab the MS versus the LR instead. Not sure of a scenario when/where I would, but probably not thinking through everything. Anyone have both, and if you do, when/why do you use the MS versus the LR?

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Labradar... with a few caveats. The magnetospeed is definitely quicker to set up. Depending on how the end of the barrel is set up, it can be a bit tricky to mount. The Labradar doesn't care how the rifle is built, which is nice for some of the rifles I've had to get speeds from. However, it's very finicky to aim and configure. The radar has to be pointed nearly perfectly at the target, or else it'll get some erroneous readings.
One of the range regulars had 3-d printed a crude iron sight that screws into the top divot on the Labradar. With that little peep sight set up, the radar hasn't been giving me any issues.
I'd say that the magnetospeed is easier to use, but the labradar is much more versatile (once you get it configured for your ammo).

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
Curious from those who have both, why they keep the Magnetospeed and when they use it in place of the Labradar.
Thinking through in my head when I'd grab the MS versus the LR instead. NOt sure of a scenario when/where I would, but probably not thinking through everything. Anyone have both, and if you do, when/why do you use the MS versus the LR?
I have both and use both. If I’m feeling lazy at the range and there for an in/out session I’ll slap on the Magnetospeed. I’ve done a back to back and speeds are super close. Wouldn’t make a difference to me when we are talking a few fps. The Magnetospeed is also useful at matches when we are stacked deep side by side confirming zero and checking MV.

I started with the MSV1 then quickly adopted the V3 when it was available.....strap hanging the device from the suppressor complicated things for mechanical stability. Soon thereafter began developing a rigid 4-axis adjustable free float rail system to accommodate suppressed shooting ( a number of forum members were also parallel developing their own versions for all the same reasons). It was a marked improvement, not bomb-proof as I still managed to whack a V3 bayonet when I was too lazy to check the muzzle-bayonet deck clearance every 5-10 shots. Also, the V3 has a pathetic and very limited method to use with pistols, so this year I fabricated a pistol mount connecting the V3 that was also able to be mounted to a tripod for precise zeroing of red dot optic fitted pistols. Was able to finally get a LabRadar in April after 6 months of looking, contacted the company and was informed a supply-chain shortage of software chips was bottlenecking production. They hinted at their largest distributors would be getting a shipment in early April, they were accurate with that forecast. Snatched one up, a few hours later, none to be sourced. I used the LabRadar with JKL Precision trigger so I don't need to be concerned about device-muzzle location relationships; it's worked very well to date; using in conjunction with LongSHot 2 mile high definition target camera, the combination is very user friendly.
I prefer the LabRadar for simplicity of setup, although have not used it with pistols yet.

A few photos of the journey.

16" LaRue OBR

KAC 14.5" ACC

Pistol-V3-RRS tripod setup

DSCN4642 copy 2.JPG
IMG_1714 copyCrackr Swamp 01.08.22 copy.jpg
IMG_6873 copy 2.jpg
IMG_0432KAC SR-25 MagnetoSpeed V3 Mount Modifications for No Gap Suppressor-Rail Photos 08.17....jpg
IMG_2399a copy.jpg
IMG_2401a copy.jpg
IMG_2498 copy.jpg
IMG_2500 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 232593 and brianf
I have both and use both. If I’m feeling lazy at the range and there for an in/out session I’ll slap on the Magnetospeed. I’ve done a back to back and speeds are super close. Wouldn’t make a difference to me when we are talking a few fps. The Magnetospeed is also useful at matches when we are stacked deep side by side confirming zero and checking MV.
For me, the MS is more of a pain in strapping on the bayonet and such, versus powering up and pointing the LR.
The thought went through my mind today wondering how long before I use my MS again versus the LR.
I had a Competition Electronics that hadn't seen daylight for 3 or 4 years and I finally donated it to a new shooter a few months ago.

For me, the MS is more of a pain in strapping on the bayonet and such, versus powering up and pointing the LR.
The thought went through my mind today wondering how long before I use my MS again versus the LR.
I had a Competition Electronics that hadn't seen daylight for 3 or 4 years and I finally donated it to a new shooter a few months ago.
I have my Magnetospeed installed on a Wiser Precision mount. Everything is pre-adjusted. I promise you I can slap it on the arca rail and ready to record in less than 10 seconds.

I have my Magnetospeed installed on a Wiser Precision mount. Everything is pre-adjusted. I promise you I can slap it on the arca rail and ready to record in less than 10 seconds.
yep, for sure. With the mount, it's stupid simple.
Maybe I'd feel differently about the Magnetospeed if I didn't have to strap it to the barrel when in use. I've got all the parts / 3D printer, rosd, rails, etc. to make one but never got around to it and picked up a Labradar in middle of it all.

Yes, I have both…and let me first say that I’ve run them (and those of friends) side by side and they both give essentially identical readings. You can trust them both. But I completely disagree with part of Post #2. I find the LR much easier and quicker to setup that the MS3. I’ve never found it finicky in the least in regards to aiming, either. Just point it in the general direction and go.

As to the second question, other than to compare accuracy between the two, I haven’t used my MS3 since I got the LR, so for me the answer is “never”. I experienced both POI shifts and group-size effects with the MS3. The one situation where I could see the MS3 being more useful would be with a Wiser-type mount (no influence on barrel), always attached and never removed. This would be the only way to be easier to set up than a LR, and would be always in use for every shot you make (a la David Tubb). I'll add that I'm not a big fan of the user interface on the LR, nor the perceived fragility. Also, the recoil trigger for me is a must. Otherwise you have another list of negatives, but it eliminates them.

Last edited:
If the labradar isnt set up perfectly and you get a reading with only 2 bars, is that measurement still accurate? Or do you need to have full bars to believe the numbers given? That may matter with how long someone tries to take and set up the LR for.

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
I have had my MSv2 for almost 10 years, and it's been a great unit. But I can't help but want a LabRadar unit, because I can set it on the bench and not have to worry about mounting it on different things. The convenience of the LabRadar not being weapon-mounted would be nice.

The best thing ever invented for the LabRadar was Greg Piet’s recoil trigger. There are a few copies of his idea out now. Now it doesn’t matter what you shoot or where your muzzle is in relation to the sensors.

I made this post over 3 years ago.

The best thing ever invented for the LabRadar was Greg Piet’s recoil trigger. There are a few copies of his idea out now. Now it doesn’t matter what you shoot or where your muzzle is in relation to the sensors.

Absolutely agree. I got mine from Greg, because it was his idea. He’s here on the Hide as @wildmanpiet. Definitely hit him up for one if you have a LR.

yep, for sure. With the mount, it's stupid simple.
Maybe I'd feel differently about the Magnetospeed if I didn't have to strap it to the barrel when in use. I've got all the parts / 3D printer, rosd, rails, etc. to make one but never got around to it and picked up a Labradar in middle of it all.

You should. I have used my Magnetospeed for years on the barrel but recently got the Wiser Precision mount and kick myself for not doing it earlier.

IMG_2393 (2).jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

Reactions: rijndael
That new Wiser mount looks a lot nicer than the one I have, it was the prior generation. I got sick of it and I’m now using an MK mount.

Reactions: 232593 and Rob01
That new Wiser mount looks a lot nicer than the one I have, it was the prior generation. I got sick of it and I’m now using an MK mount.

Not sure about the older version but this one is super easy to use and adjusting height of bayonet is super simple and you can adjust angle back at the Arca mount area. It’s really a great tool.

Reactions: 021411
If the labradar isnt set up perfectly and you get a reading with only 2 bars, is that measurement still accurate? Or do you need to have full bars to believe the numbers given? That may matter with how long someone tries to take and set up the LR for.
Yes. If it returns a value for a shot you can trust it. The more bars gets you more data you get at longer ranges. On mine 2 bars and I'm good but I will adjust to try to get 3 or better if I'm not feeling lazy that day.

Reactions: Sogan
Yup I agree. The new Wiser version is retarded easy to set it and forget it. It’s tool-less.

Yep. Actually just recently added one to my kit.

Yeah I like my mk mount much better, but I also modified it with bigger set screws for all of the set screws, which took it to a whole new level. It's super secure and it never moves now.

I have the MS V3 and honestly I'd like to see them come up with a bayonet specifically for hand guns. I could not get accurate/consistent readings no matter what I tried. I think it'll be easier once my suppressor comes in and I can strap it to that but as is, mounting to the rail, it's not ideal. On a rifle, it's brilliant, IMO, it just works shot after shot.

In that context, the LR seems to be a better choice for hand guns albeit at more than twice the cost.

Different tools

v3 plus a gray ops mount for matches with crowded firing lines and quick speed checks, uneven terrain conditions, engaging targets on multiple bearings on the same string

Lab for calmer manicured range sessions, pistol, .22lr where clipping on arca is not easy/possible

Both will return accurately enough to get impacts within a tenth or two out to the bottom end of the BC speed envelope

@Scott Dee - just a quick comment about aiming. There are a number of sources that make a peep sight type thingy that mounts on the top and replaces that piece with the stupid little notch. I use the one from MK Machining. You can also just expoxy a tube (piece of drinking straw will even do though not very robust). I have find aiming it properly to be easy.

I went with Labradar mainly because I didn't want to deal with hanging something off of the barrel with POI changes nor hang more dang stuff (like the Wiser or MKM mounts) off of the rifle.

This let's me easily collect velocity data when out shooting normally and not just when doing load dev as it won't impact my downrange results. As a result, I get lots of speed data with enough points for ES and SD to be very statistically valid.

And, I just think portable home Doppler radar is really cool stuff :cool:

Reactions: Hi-Lux Optics
Thoughts ?? about this recent LabRadar data set; KAC SR-25 14.5" suppressed; Lake City new M118LR 175 gr all from same bunch; 2 outlier data points 400 fps off the anticipated MV (~ 2410 fps) based on same / rifle / environmental conditions / lot # of ammo ....aiming for the head @ 600M and hitting the target in the big toe with those rounds.

Does anyone know how to correct the factory default time / date in the last two columns of the data output?

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 5.20.24 PM.png

Last edited:
Thoughts ?? about this recent LabRadar data set; KAC SR-25 14.5" suppressed; Lake City new M118LR 175 gr all from same bunch; 2 outlier data points 400 fps off the anticipated MV based on same / rifle / environmental conditions / lot # of ammo ....aiming for the head @ 600M and hitting the target in the big toe.

View attachment 7879009
Clean your data up, both of those are invalid.
If using a recoil trigger you can get these, the clue is no 2nd yardage or repeating velocity at multiple distances.
With a semi get in the habit of disarming the unit when changing mags or manually operating the bolt.

Also for what it is worth you have very poor alignment of the radar to the target unless the lane was just that cluttered. a .30 cal should have little issue returning readings well past 100 yards.

ETA:
And yes not really the thread for this.

Reactions: Baron23
Seems silly to start a new thread. Perhaps the Moderater will move it . Thanks for keeping the thread focused.

Also for what it is worth you have very poor alignment of the radar to the target unless the lane was just that cluttered. a .30 cal should have little issue returning readings well past 100 yards.
Thank you. That was news I can use going forward.

Thoughts ?? about this recent LabRadar data set; KAC SR-25 14.5" suppressed; Lake City new M118LR 175 gr all from same bunch; 2 outlier data points 400 fps off the anticipated MV (~ 2410 fps) based on same / rifle / environmental conditions / lot # of ammo ....aiming for the head @ 600M and hitting the target in the big toe with those rounds.

Does anyone know how to correct the factory default time / date in the last two columns of the data output?

View attachment 7879009
RTFM

1653693221271.png

Reactions: strikeeagle1
I have both but haven't used the MS in years. My MS is a V1 or V2 and I'm just not a fan of having to swap spacers, have POI changes, have the mount loosen even when I tighten to the point of worrying about breaking, and then go through the process again on my next rifle. Suppressors and muzzle brakes add more annoyances when dealing with the MS (though suppressors sometimes need increased sensitivity on the LR which isn't a big deal).

My LS is on a quick-detach tripod mount and I can take it out of the bag, turn it on, and start recording shots in about a minute. Then change guns (including pistols which I have chronoed) pretty much instantly.

The LR button and display interface is easier for me to use and I find it more versatile. I keep the MS just so I have a backup in case the LR breaks or starts giving me crazy readings.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDof2
I have both currently, but I am about to sell my magnetospeed. The Labradar does everything I need, esp for taking multiple rifles to the range and having continuous chrono going. I also shoot suppressed on everything, so keeping my covers on is a plus for mirage.

My only gripe on the labradar is their app. I wish I could switch back and forth between 2-3 different tests on the fly.

Reactions: MDof2
As someone with both, I have always found the labradar to be finicky and miss shots on me. I consider myself reasonably tech savvy, certainly capable of using a chronograph.

As such, I made my Magneto Mount which now on Gen 3, and it just lets me shoot and not worry about aiming, POI shift, etc. It is satisfactory for my uses!

If you're using a Labradar the sight will pay for itself. Many print them after I started selling, none are to the quality nor durability of my MJF prints. I DID NOT come up with the smart idea of the Labradar sight, but I do feel my version is the best mousetrap and highly refined!

I have both and use the lab radar much more often, just easier
This...but I use the MS if the Labradar is down or if I absolutely don't want to miss a shot reading. LR is the deal for velocity and group testing at the same time. My 2 cents.

You can test groups and get velocities with the Magnetospeed also. Just use a mount and not attached to barrel.

Reactions: doc88
Been using a Magnetospeed for about 8 years and been very happy. When my unit failed after 5 years I sent it back and they replaced it with the new current model. Customer service has been great. Use my friends Lab Radar it seemed to be very finicky and getting all the shots all the time prove challenging . All had issue picking up the guy on the next table over. So I will stick with the MS for now.

Only the second time to the range with LR. During setup, implemented the advice of above members; this weekend much improved velocity down range acquisitions. Only 11/25 measurements @ 100 meters, which is inconsequential to my purposes, but a nice improvement nonetheless. It seems duplicative ? is the output supposed to list 2 columns of v100 ? First cold-bore shot pretty good. Thanks to those that advised.
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 6.25.18 PM.png

IMG_3224CRACKER SWAMP KAC SR-25 7TH Session 600 Meters First Two Shots 05.29.22 copy 2.png
IMG_3222CRACKER SWAMP KAC SR-25 7TH Session 600 Meters 05.29.22 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Only the second time to the range with LR. Implemented the advice during use of above members; this weekend much improved velocity down range acquisitions. Only 11/25 measurements @ 100 meters, which is inconsequential to my purposes, but a nice improvement nonetheless. It seems duplicative ? is the output supposed to list 2 columns of v100 ? Thanks to those that advised. View attachment 7881835
On the unit or in the app you listed 100 yards twice. It is merely a filter of what it displays on the screen, in the app and in that report. Chose another yardage.

If you look in the TRK folder at the individual shot records you will see every distance/time/SNR it got a velocity reading at.

Reactions: strikeeagle1
Own a Magnetospeed with Wiser Precision mount but just bought a Labradar. If all of my guns had a pic/arca rail I'd run the Magnetospeed and be be perfectly happy. However; I still have a few guns with regular old sling studs. I get tired of pulling the MS off the Wiser mount and strapping it to the barrel, but then putting it back in the Wiser mount when I want to run it on my guns with an arca rail. Got tired of all the back and forth in/out of the Wiser mount. Right now I still use the MS with the acra railed guns and the LR with the all others.

Excessive wind at the range may be a good reason for keeping the magnetospeed. I’ve seen several expensive spotting scopes get blown over and break where I shoot, even with sturdy tripods. Can’t imagine how pissed I’d be if a 600+$ Labradar unit was blown off the bench and smashed.

Excessive wind at the range may be a good reason for keeping the magnetospeed. I’ve seen several expensive spotting scopes get blown over and break where I shoot, even with sturdy tripods. Can’t imagine how pissed I’d be if a 600+$ Labradar unit was blown off the bench and smashed.
I have one of these for my spotter. Rock solid if there’s no dang carpet stapled both on top and bottom of the bench.

Sans carpet, you’d need an F5 tornado to knock it off, although the whole bench may fly away first. He’ll even add little spikes to the clamp if you want.

I wonder if it would work for a Labradar?

6BA76980-11E6-43E8-9CFF-AB16BBAE9073.jpeg

60525CAE-F93B-43A0-8E85-782F1E9F4C8B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 232593
On the unit or in the app you listed 100 yards twice. It is merely a filter of what it displays on the screen, in the app and in that report. Chose another yardage.
Correct-a-mongo!.....l thought there where only 4 down range distance selections. Wrong. There's five, so i had input 100M choice twice.. corrected it today to include 75M & 100M. Thanks!

I am using a trigger for the LR, so I was deciding between mounting it on my shooting table or adjacent on a tripod. Decided on just mounting it on the table within easy reach from shooting position to "arm" the system with support hand; bored a hole to accommodate the LR tripod center column and used marine grade tie wraps to hold down the legs of the tripod.
IMG_3216CRACKER SWAMP KAC SR-25 7TH Session 600 Meters 05.29.22 copy.jpg
IMG_2822LABRADAR MOUNTING TO SHOOTING TABLE 04.23.22 copy.jpg
IMG_2823LABRADAR MOUNTING TO SHOOTING TABLE 04.23.22 copy.jpg
IMG_2824LABRADAR MOUNTING TO SHOOTING TABLE 04.23.22 copy.jpg
IMG_2825LABRADAR MOUNTING TO SHOOTING TABLE 04.23.22 copy.jpg

Ok, I don’t even have either of these devices but I dug around and found this base that one could also clamp to the bench so the Labradar won’t blow off.

76C17585-D465-43E5-8DA2-6350E522F5B0.jpeg

FF8B11E0-C501-42CB-BD45-EECDABA338F0.jpeg

The following is discontinued, but nothing’s stopping one from DIY.
61F7D0DA-5000-47B9-9EDC-C4C2998C3FF5.jpeg

I have one of these for my spotter. Rock solid if there’s no dang carpet stapled both on top and bottom of the bench.

Sans carpet, you’d need an F5 tornado to knock it off, although the whole bench may fly away first. He’ll even add little spikes to the clamp if you want.

I wonder if it would work for a Labradar?

View attachment 7882639
View attachment 7882643
That’s a pretty cool setup. Good question on the Labradar.

To hold the battery I used a Blue Force Gear pouch with a self-retaining velcro strap that also served to remove the battery from the tight fitting pouch; underside of frame heavy duty fuzzy side velcro attachment points. Didn't like the idea of LR sticky sided velcro to battery attaching to housing. When it gets really hot such tape usually starts separating from its plastic attachments.
IMG_3204 1LABRADAR BLUE FORCE GEAR BATTERY POUCH VELCRO 05.28.22 copy.jpg
IMG_3205 1LABRADAR BLUE FORCE GEAR BATTERY POUCH VELCRO 05.28.22 copy.jpg
IMG_3234LABRADAR BLUE FORCE GEAR BATTERY VELCRO POUCH.jpg
IMG_3235LABRADAR BLUE FORCE GEAR BATTERY VELCRO POUCH.jpg
IMG_3236LABRADAR BLUE FORCE GEAR BATTERY VELCRO POUCH.jpg