• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Do you prefer Stock or Chassis?

RIGGS9985

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2012
    Nebraska
    I’m a rookie to the competitive shooting side of our hobby, but have decided to shoot a few matches this year. I have a bartlein barreled impact in 6creed that I have had in both manners T2A and LssXL Gen2 and I honestly can’t decide on which I prefer for feel. The manners is far better on the eyes
    What do you prefer for your rifle?
    F6AD0B0E-2446-418D-92F9-C1135FA28285.jpeg

28D8FA2A-E218-43F2-AB7A-C22B1994E68A.jpeg
    4A707419-3BAD-4D08-923D-F5F74E5AF8FD.jpeg
    5488B268-CB56-498E-877A-A966490E8F08.jpeg
    0E2FDD81-A9D1-4D4F-A623-711A201F2FF0.jpeg
    7160FC0A-676D-48C1-A2BB-88C4AE20AC33.jpeg

IMHO honest answer is you have to try them out...they don't always fit or feel like they look.

Things like grip angles, hand spacing, reach to trigger etc...and also what your personal technique is.

Another consideration is the field use component ...hunters tend to like stocks but not everyon hunts with stock...etc

Reactions: RIGGS9985
    I am in the same boat. Trying to figure out what I like better. I like the look and feel of stocks better. But i have been shooting semiautos so much recently that I wouldn’t mind trying to get use to a chassis that gives me a similar feel and ergos as an AR.

I prefer a stock only because I have a much more relaxed firing hand allowing my thumb to ride on top of the stock. I’m very uncomfortable wrapping or floating my thumb on a pistol grip. Just personal preference.

A chassis is usually more adaptable which allows you to get closer to 'ideal' IMO, hence the proliferation of ugly ass alloy bricks. Just like an open top race car may not look good, or have space for the groceries, but when you need to get round a course as fast as possible it's the right choice.

My 6.5 is in a chassis and my 6 is in a Manners T2A. Prefer the look of the Manners but honestly I shoot the chassis better. But I'm trying to really like the Manners as that's the one I would prefer in the long run. I usually shoot both on my trips to the range so it's easy to compare.

I have a Manners T2A, a few KRG Bravos, and a XLR Element. I like the look of the Manners the best. I like the Bravos a lot because they are so easy to add and remove weight (lead shot and straps) for not a lot of $$$ and you can make them look pretty decent with a rattle can sponge paint job and some clear coat. Its actually pretty durable too. I like the aftermarket grip on the Element the best - Anarchy Outdoors Penguin grip, but the butt stock is a PIA to configure. Don't really have a clear winner for me - kind of annoying.

Your photos are nicer than either manufacturers' pics, they should hire you lol.

IMO getting a good fit to the rifle is the most important thing, and since most stocks are "one size fits most", that means a chassis is usually the way to go to get it dialed.

I second the earlier comment about digging the "Hybrid" stock/chassis thing, there's not enough options for them out there IMO. I'd put the KRG Bravo and Manners TCS in this category as they're sort of "in-between", I dig it.

Traditional grip chassis for me - JAE, Bravo etc.

I’d love a Mini Chassis Manners, but every time I price one up I end up baulking when I compare it to what $$$ on a chassis gets me.

I just recently changed from shooting chassis, (MPA, MDT LSSxl, Oryx). Built a KRG Bravo, weighted and kitted out to a total of 21lb. Every aspect of the Bravo fits me better, hand position, cheek weld, trigger reach, even balance feels better. I just shoot better behind the Bravo despite it being the cheap option.

I knew from day one I hated traditional swept back hunting stocks. Nothing fit....LOP, trigger, comb....just sucked, but I just lived with it. RPR was first time I could fix LOP and cheek weld was better, but still not great. Now on a properly tweaked stock something as bland as the Bergara HMR....feels like I'm taking a nap. Amazing how much tension it took out of my body to stop contorting myself to fit a setup that wasn't right.

I knew from day one I hated traditional swept back hunting stocks. Nothing fit....LOP, trigger, comb....just sucked, but I just lived with it. RPR was first time I could fix LOP and cheek weld was better, but still not great. Now on a properly tweaked stock something as bland as the Bergara HMR....feels like I'm taking a nap. Amazing how much tension it took out of my body to stop contorting myself to fit a setup that wasn't right.

I am a stock guy, but it has to be cut to fit.

The feel for me is mostly in the hand grip. The only chassis I have ever really liked the feel of is the Xylo with its grip. Some of the newer chassis grips may change my mind.

I now own and or shot with mdt Acc, mpa comp, krg whiskey 3, krg bravo, manners t5, manners eh5a, manners prs1t, McMillan a5, McMillan htg adj, McMillan a3-5. I want to love the chassis, and I do but not as much as the stocks. I feel chassis over things most stocks don’t, and is the reason I’m trying to spend more and more time with them. I enjoy shooting them, love the look of them, but when I pull out one of my manners the instant comfort and look is just better. Not only is it sexy, it feels more natural to me. It’s a personal preference

Manners TCS is a great compromise. Feels better than any chassis I've owned. I'm also living in the North East, and those aluminum chassis are mighty cold to hang on to here November to April. TCS has a ton of adjustment for fit and weight. Really is my favorite.

Nothing more beautiful than GOD’S natural products finely crafted. We have several and they are wonderful safe queens. (Taken out and admired and then gently returned)

But give me a chassis. Adjusts to fit my needs, and if I scratch and or ding it, a bit of epoxy and some cerekote and one would never know it was not brand new.

I’m a rookie to the competitive shooting side of our hobby, but have decided to shoot a few matches this year. I have a bartlein barreled impact in 6creed that I have had in both manners T2A and LssXL Gen2 and I honestly can’t decide on which I prefer for feel. The manners is far better on the eyes
    What do you prefer for your rifle?
    View attachment 7570508
    View attachment 7570509View attachment 7570510View attachment 7570512View attachment 7570513View attachment 7570514
    I like both, but there's no perfect answer...
    Maybe try a hybrid like the MDT XRS or my favorites, KRG X-Ray and Bravo.
    Good luck!

Reactions: RIGGS9985 and DMP
    I just recently changed from shooting chassis, (MPA, MDT LSSxl, Oryx). Built a KRG Bravo, weighted and kitted out to a total of 21lb. Every aspect of the Bravo fits me better, hand position, cheek weld, trigger reach, even balance feels better. I just shoot better behind the Bravo despite it being the cheap option.
    Exactly where I'm at right now. Mine is at 16lbs unloaded and I feel it's a perfect blend of stable and maneuverable. For me the first time behind the Bravo was like finding a pair of shoes that fit perfectly, as if they were made around a mold of my foot. Incredibly natural and comfortable.

For me it doesn't matter which looks better. If the shoe fits, I will wear it. Lately, the adjustable stocks like the Bravo feel better to me.

Reactions: RIGGS9985 and DMP
    What is a...stock...? :ROFLMAO: I love me some A3, or T2, but since I got a Matrix and and ACC, I've pretty much forgotten about dem old stocks. The Matrix is the most comfortable chassis I've ever used, we'll see how I feel after the honeymoon though...

What is a...stock...? :ROFLMAO: I love me some A3, or T2, but since I got a Matrix and and ACC, I've pretty much forgotten about dem old stocks. The Matrix is the most comfortable chassis I've ever used, we'll see how I feel after the honeymoon though...
    Really want to get behind a Matrix, looks like it might be the best of both worlds.

I'd classify the Matrix as a hybrid. I'd also classify it as something I want...

Stocks. I can't get into the AR15 grip stuff at all. Even the MDT grips that don't resemble an AR grip.

The one exception is the ARC XYLO. I've been shooting competitions with it for about a year now and I have nothing bad to say about it. Very feature rich and comfortable.

I dont care, I can shoot both equally well.

I have two straight up metal chassis acc, Ive got two hybrids in the bravo and xrs, Ive got another hybrid of sorts in a manners minichassis, Ive got traditional wood stocks and I have traditional tupperware stocks.

I like my traditional wood stocks most, they are just so classy and refined.

Its easiest to shoot the accs, especially off of props etc. Then again they are 20+ lbs so thats got something to do with it. Its hard to make that much weight on a wood stock with zero external weights hanging off the sides.

So I dont prefer either.

I would get the acc for a comp over the lssxlg2 if you do go mdt chassis just for the wider flatter forend.

I preferred stocks till I got my first chassis. Now I have to say I prefer how easy it is to mess with a chassis. I like the ability to customize the weight and recoil impulse. My Manners stocks are a lot more involved to add to and change. I also prefer a straight grip now and a flat trigger, so I guess I'm fully converted.

Stocks. I can't get into the AR15 grip stuff at all. Even the MDT grips that don't resemble an AR grip.

The one exception is the ARC XYLO. I've been shooting competitions with it for about a year now and I have nothing bad to say about it. Very feature rich and comfortable.

I'll agree in that I don't like ar15 style pistol grips. It's one of the reasons why most chassis' don't appeal to me.

I love the JAE chassis, the grip is really nice, though I wish it was slightly more upright. The KRG Bravo has a great grip, IMO. It's an excellent bargain chassis. The Xylo looks really interesting, I love what Ted at ARC comes up with. I will say that his chassis is definitely an engineers chassis - there's a lot of function, but not much form. I would love to try one though. The only other chassis that interests me besides these is the KRG W3 Competition chassis. All other chassis' just don't do it for me.

I do enjoy stocks as well, but it is about getting the fit right. Stocks are a bit more rigid in their function - they aren't as modular and do require work if you want to expand their functionality - QD flush cups, NV bridges, ARCA rails, etc. I do like the McM A5 stock that I have, though there are some things I would change about that stock if I could. The Foundation stocks seem interesting, but certain elements like ARCA rails look completely out of place on them. It just seems to lack refinement, though the vibration dampening that people talk about sounds interesting.

I want a matrix pretty bad. I almost bought one but got the mpa comp instead. Next chassis will most likely be the matrix, but next stock/chassis will most likely be another manners first. Shift a few things around and then pick up the matrix. It just seems to combine a lot of nice features.

I prefer the looks of a more traditional stock but the modularity of a chassis wins out for me every single time. Function over form is my preference but the engineering mind probably has a lot to do with that.

I love the JAE chassis, the grip is really nice, though I wish it was slightly more upright.
    Yep, but Tyler is going to fix that for us soon!! Almost there.

I have two objections w the J Allen

LOP is bit too long for me to get easy eye relief so I had a 3/4” kick-eez pad grind to fit and that fixed that.

Also, I would prefer a comb that moves laterally as well as up and down so as to eliminate even a bit of head roll to get behind the scope. Very common in skeet guns, rifle chassis not so much.

Last edited:
    I prefer traditional stocks if for no other reason than looks and also cold mourning shooting, but I actually shoot better with a chassis because of the ability to adjust the rifle completely to me.

I prefer chassis for anything larger than 22lr. I've had success shooting other people's stock based rifles for a few shots, but I feel like I'm using my non-dominate hand to cut a steak. It get's the job done, but uncomfortable.