• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Do you remove your can for storage?

MemphisMtnr

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2013
Memphis, TN
I've owned suppressors for years. Just recently saw some info about removing cans before rifle storage to prevent barrel corrosion. Is this common knowledge? If so, I'm guilty of ignorance here.

What I was reading was about residual gas (that didn't escape) creating a more corrosive environment around the muzzle.

Man I dunno, but I’m not any kind of scientist... At any rate I usually let my rifle/cans cool for about 15-20 with the action open. I do take it off before it goes in the safe because I’m an idiot and didn’t get the bigger safe.

Reactions: MemphisMtnr
I take mine off as soon as I am done shooting. The theory is that the can can develop condensation when cooling. Also, the carbon buildup inside the can attracts moisture. I've seen some badly rusted crowns in the past on guns that were stored with the can on, whether it's related I cannot say but I'm not prepared to take the chance over simply taking it off. Same reason I do not store my guns in rifle bags long term.

Edit: I live on the coast so it may be a lesser concern to those who live in dry areas.

Man I dunno, but I’m not any kind of scientist... At any rate I usually let my rifle/cans cool for about 15-20 with the action open. I do take it off before it goes in the safe because I’m an idiot and didn’t get the bigger safe.

This^^^^^ I only take mine off because of length of my rifle. My 300blk has a suppressor mounted 24/7 and only comes off for cleaning

Sub question to this. Is anyone concerned about muzzle crown fouling under a brake in a quick connect set up?

Been having many suppressors for years. I never take mine off. Whatever gun Im shooting is what they stay on until I take them off to put on other guns. Only issues I ever have is when I dont oil the threads and they get carbon locked.

Reactions: MemphisMtnr
Mine suppressors stay on their host. Round stays in chamber too. I’ve never had any issues. I live in a dry area. That said, I’d still leave them on and clean my rig periodically and call it good even if I lived in a humid/wet area.

Note: I don’t really quote unquote store my stuff ... so, I might have not answered the question correctly.

I was under the impression that rifle cans operate at high enough pressure to “self clean” (probably a bad term) but they literally shoot all their fouling out for the most part. Now I am the owner of a 45tirant can that is super stuck together, it lives it’s whole life on a 4.6” barreled 9mm ar now that what your saying might be true for a pistol can but I would t worry about it on a rifle can. Also, anyone know a truck that’s not kroil to get a nasty can’s baffles out?

I was under the impression that rifle cans operate at high enough pressure to “self clean” (probably a bad term) but they literally shoot all their fouling out for the most part. Now I am the owner of a 45tirant can that is super stuck together, it lives it’s whole life on a 4.6” barreled 9mm ar now that what your saying might be true for a pistol can but I would t worry about it on a rifle can. Also, anyone know a truck that’s not kroil to get a nasty can’s baffles out?

A baffle jacking tool, like this.