• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Do you typically use ALL that magnification?

MC2Cool

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2014
Texas
With those who use x20 to x25 magnification scopes, do you see yourself dialing down your magnification when shooting between 200-700 yards on a regular basis? The reason I ask is I'm looking to buy a Nightforce scope with SFP, yet I'm torn between a 15x scope or a 20x variable. And if you do find yourself dialing down, about what magnification do you end up using between those ranges? I plan on using a MIL Dot scope to range estimate, and I know the difference between SFP and FFP scopes.

I use the whole range of magnification on my 5-25s. I use the mildots over most of that range as well. I would never buy another SFP scope in any magnification range. I hate the two 1-4x SFP I still have and find myself using them less and less.

There is rarely a time that I don't use ally scopes on max. Many times the ones that only go till 20 leave me wanting more...

The thing about 25x is when you are shooting on a hot day the mirage can get annoying. I like to turn down to 16 or 17x and tend to do a bit better. Even though the target is smaller, it's less confusing to look at and much more clear, and less crap is moving around in my reticle.

On a cool clear day, the 25x can look amazing and be well worth all the extra magnification. Living in Florida, I have found these days to be the exception rather than the rule so I now usually run a 15x scope and am more than happy.

At the recent Sniper's Hide Cup I used the full range, from 8x to 25x. I needed the 8x to shoot the off-hand targets that were at 100 yards. Then I needed mostly 10-15x for the medium range stages from targets from 200 meters out to 600 meters. Anything past 600 meters I needed the 25x. It all depended on the type of stage, the various relative positions of the targets and the difficulty in finding them. I cannot imagine using anything but 5-25x, period.

If you're doing off-hand shooting, or shooting at snaps targets or movers, you're going to want to dial down. Even just doing deliverate type shooting at stationary targets, you might find yourself wanting to dial down due to mirage or in order to get things like wind flags into your FOV.

I have the night force 3 1/2 to 15, and the 5 1/2-22 nxs's. The 31/2-15 is far more versatile for me. If you use these scopes to range they have to be on the highest settings. I rarely shoot past 750 yards, and have never done any serious shooting past 1100 yards. I prefer my 3.5–15 on anything other than a dedicated bench rest rifle. I don't shoot 338 Lappula magnum, or bigger,yet. My hottest caliber is 300 WM. Mostly 308, and 223. And I only use SFP scopes with max mag below 10 power. I've never understood the need for a first focal plane scopes with maximum under 10 power. But to each their own.
My 5.5–22 Rarely goes above 15 power. I like it, it's a wonderful scope, but it's a bit of an overkill for me. My FFP scope that I use often at 25 power, but it isn't a night force.
For paper punching and groups, I use a Leopold sfp with a 20 power mag, and a very fine crosshair.
I hope this helps.

I've been running a SFP 6-24x50 Sightron in competition for about a year now, and find myself mostly using 18-20x at distances from 200 to 600. I'll sometimes use 24x if everything is ideal, but both mirage and lighting conditions can limit that (it's not always bright here in Michigan, but we also don't have as much mirage as you do in the desert). Basically I tend to use the maximum magnification that is useable depending on mirage, light, and how my eyes are dealing with a small exit pupil that day. This is shooting on paper for small groups, so if you're shooting on steel you might be happy with less, and if you're shooting movers as noted above you will probably want to use less.

Usually using a mix between 10-25x. Rarely do I go much below that. Depends on what I'm shooting. For groups it'll almost always be cranked up, whereas I'll dial down to increase field of view.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I use S&B 5-25's for competition shooting. Most shots are from improvised positions but even from comfy prone the vast majority of the time I use between 8-17x (90%+). The low and high ends are really nice/handy for special situations (milling targets or 25yd shots) but the mid ranges usually work best for me.

IMHO, most anyone using 20+ magnification with their rifle scope is shooting from the bench or prone. Or else they have rock steady nerves...

i never shoot my USO or S&B 5-25x under 10x. I almost always use 25x or somewhere between 12-15x for when i'm changing targets or shooting positional.

in fact, if they made a scope that wasn't variable, but just let you flip a lever between 12x and 25x, I'd rather have that. especially if it was more reliable and faster to switch and cheaper

When shooting targets, usually maxed out unless mirage is present. These are with the Nightforce NP-R1 reticle. The Razor has such a thick reticle on max power (ffp), I think I will delegate it to shooting steel.

I have a 5-20x and a 6-24x scope both in FFP and I use the entire magnification range…

I use max magnification a lot for range estimation, checking targets, and load development at 100 yards.

I enjoy being able to use the reticle for hold over shooting regardless of the magnification, which I never really did before with SFP scopes.

To answer your question between 200-700 yards, it just depends. What I’m shooting, how fast I need to shoot it, do I have someone else spotting for me, mirage. That said, if all I had was a 15x scope now, I would feel limited on the max end of that magnification range, but most of my shooting is from bench or prone.

I use my 5-25s mostly in the 12-16x range. That said when I need more I have it and that's a very good thing. As I have posted before, I can dial my 25x top end scope down to 15x but you can't dial a 15x max scope up to 25x.

I was pretty happy when moving around the 2014 Sniper's Hide Cup seeing most of the competitors constantly adjusting their magnification.

10383950_10152487903887953_3820310068496007711_n.jpg

There was a lot of back and forth between low power to spot and mid range powers to shoot. I snapped this pix as it was pretty common to see the guys moving their magnification ring as much as their elevation turret.

I locate on lower power, shoot around 12-18x and spot at 25x ...

I was pretty happy when moving around the 2014 Sniper's Hide Cup seeing most of the competitors constantly adjusting their magnification.

There was a lot of back and forth between low power to spot and mid range powers to shoot. I snapped this pix as it was pretty common to see the guys moving their magnification ring as much as their elevation turret.

Awesome pic, and thanks for the input.

I use the full range of magnifications. 6x for offhand shots so I can see the whole target dance a little less, up through 24x at 1K (if the mirage isn't too bad). Generally though, I try to keep the target around the same relative size in the scope as I work farther out, and zoom in a little bit more as distance increases.

I've found I like the 6-24. I use 6x to find the target and 24x for shooting.
Even just a zero check at 100 yards I'm using it all, all the time.
Keep hearing how I'll need to dial back for mirage...........still waiting for the stars to align and give me a better picture at 16x than I had at 24x but it still aint happened during daylight.
When I use my older (less magnification) scopes, they always leave me wanting.
I probably will not buy another rifle scope with a max of less than 20x.................just my $0.02

I'll echo that. I usually find myself around 18-20x for anything out to 1000. I think I'd be pretty happy with a scope that only goes up to 20 or 21x, but it is nice to have the option of 24-25x for spotting. Your stage designs with the whitish targets mixed in with white flowers in a green field meant lots of searching for targets, especially the one pictured. Some stages required me to dial down to 8-10x for every new target, then dial up again to shoot. Having a cattail/switchview was very nice for this match.

Wow lots of guys crank their stuff up. I don't go above 12x on my 3-15 SS except for taking a closer look at targets occasionally. 10-12 power work just fine for me, even at 1,000 yards.

My first coyote was shot using a leupy 6-18 on 18 at sub 100yds & I left that stand knowing that scope was not enough.

Went to a bushy 6500 4.5-30, then to Sightron SIII 8-32x56, I shot several coyotes under 30yds on the move with it, closest being about 15 feet and trying to get to standing corn about 25ft away.

I now run the Bushnell xrs, I've been a waterfowl hunter my whole life, I think that helps to pick up closer targets without having to have a 1-4, 2-10 etc, the 8x on the sightron, the 4.5 on this xrs work fine.

So yes, I'll use it all, my preference is max power. Scopes like this xrs, the march's, mark 6/8 that have the larger mag ranges help.

Probably locate targets using 6-8x, do most engagements from 8x-18x, rarely use 30x unless looking for holes on paper.

Honestly I'm happy shooting out to long range on 10-12x but I hold for wind, and with a FFP scope you really need to be at higher mags to see your reticle well enough.

Low or mid range (depends on distance to target) to call. Sometimes I just leave it there or go form lower to higher once on target. Mostly has do with lack of recoil control (my problem) because I like to keep the target in sight through the entire shot so I compensate with magnification. I only use 20x to get a better look at something.

As an aside, I have a SSA M40 .308 with a 3-9x40 set at 6x so I could use the holdovers on the reticle (Leupold RBR) and was finding group sizes were not much different with a .308 varmint rifle with a 5-20x ffp. I say group size rather than accuracy. I was using a bigger target with the SSA. Shooting at known ranges 200, 300, 400, 500 yards. 600 yards made a difference though. The experience has me rethinking magnification. But different strokes for different folks. You wouldn't want to show up at an F Class 300 500 600 yard comp with a 3-9x. :)

There are two downsides to high magnification - small field of view, and small exit pupil. I crank the magnification up as high as I can before one of those two kicks in as a significant issue. From a comfortable, stable position, that usually means maxing it out. From an awkward position, or when you need to see more around the target for whatever reason, I dial it down, but only as much as I have to.

I'm not a believer in dialing down because of mirage or wobble. Those are perception issues. Decreasing magnification doesn't actually help those problems. It just hides them.

This may be a stupid question but what exactly is wobble?

I mean how the cross hairs float around due to an imperfect hold (much more of an issue sitting or off hand than prone). It is much more visible at 25x than at 5x, and i often hear people state that as a reason to use lower magnification. I just disagree is all. Your hold is no better, you just cant see it.

Last edited:
Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

The thing about 25x is when you are shooting on a hot day the mirage can get annoying. I like to turn down to 16 or 17x and tend to do a bit better. Even though the target is smaller, it's less confusing to look at and much more clear, and less crap is moving around in my reticle.

On a cool clear day, the 25x can look amazing and be well worth all the extra magnification. Living in Florida, I have found these days to be the exception rather than the rule so I now usually run a 15x scope and am more than happy.

This is definitely true living in Floria. I have two NF SFP scopes one is 22x and the other is 15x. It is rare I can crank up the 22x without the environmental conditions being less than ideal so I usually dial down to 15-17x

running the 6-24 vortex hs lr and i use the low to spot and dial it as needed. Pdogs at 500 yards still look small on 24 i would say i run in the 20 range for the majority of my shooting. Kinda like an engine you dont need all the horse power all the time but is sure handy to have when you do.

I have a USO 3.2-17. If I am only shooting at a single target and can take as much time as I want, I use max magnification. Add in a time limit, alternate positions, having to search for targets, multiple targets, etc. and I dial down because having a wider field of view becomes more important. For example I shot pop-ups out to 800m on a military range and set my mag on about 5x. Woulda gone lower but the USO tunnels below that so I don't gain any additional field of view. Also shot out to about a mile with a .50 with mag on 4.5x. That was at vehicle size targets and with time constraints. Once you step outside of just leisurely shooting groups or single targets from a nice comfy prone position, field of view becomes EVERYTHING.

Last edited: