• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dodge diesel pickup help

ubet

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Commifornia no longer
Hello,

My father in law has a newer dodge, not sure the year, that I am interested in buying everything I want in one, only question, is their any certain years to stay away from? <span style="text-decoration: line-through">When I talk to him about it, I will get the year, I want to say its an 05 or 06</span> it is an 04though. Any info you diesel mechanics have I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks

ETA, I bought the truck, its an 04 (not sure if 04 or 04.5). 6.9 6 speed, not a Ca truck, and I dont have to worry about emissions where I live, any advice is appreciated. I have no idea about tuning them or anything.

Re: Dodge diesel pickup help

Stay away fromn the the 2007 that had the new engine in them. They had hell with them when they first came out. Never had any issues with the other ones except for going through fuel lift pumps.

2007 5.9 is the best model you can get. They started the 6.7 halfway through 2007. If you get one out of warranty you could take it to a diesel mechanic and have him pull all of the EGR bull shit off for around $1000 and then have a good truck. Removing the EGR system will obviosly void the warrranty.

No way. I had a 2007 5.9L and it was horrible. It spent more time in the shop then in my possession. I eventually sold it. Found a 1998 Ram 2500 with the 12valve engine in it. Best damn diesel truck on the road. A few turns of a screwdriver and about $300.00 in parts you have a reliable hauler.

Buy a Duramax and fix your Dodge/Cummins problem permanently...

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

+1 on the 94-2002 years. The 12 valves are hard to beat as far a reliability goes. I had a 2000 with a 5 speed and it was one of the best trucks I have ever owned. Wish I wouldn't have traded it off for a newer one. Traded it for a 2004 5.9 and it was a good truck as well. The only thing I didn't like was it was an automatic and I really wasn't impressed with the tranny. When pulling with it no matter if it was only a couple thousand pounds or 12000 pounds, it shifted all the time. Another gear would have helped or lower geared rear end as well. All in all I think the 2004 is one of the last good years before they put way too much emission crap on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a 2004 or 2004.5 model??? </div></div>

Not sure. Its a 5.9 with a 6speed.

Any year would work. The newer ones have more emissions, but the interior has come a long way also. Had a 08 6.7 that was a great runner, before and after the cat and DPF fell off. HWY mileage went from 18mpg to 22mpg when I lost them as well. Have a stock 2011 now. Huge upgrade to the interior with the latest redesign.

Some of the older 12v have a problem with a pin in the block, cannot remember but you should research it. Then if you are thinking automatic the 4spd is usually hunting.

I love my 6sp Auto with exhaust break and selectable gears. Not to mention the H.O. 800ft-lbs of torque is a monster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ID Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a Duramax and fix your Dodge/Cummins problem permanently...

Sorry, I couldn't resist... </div></div>

I might if you could get them with a standard transmission, and if chevys didnt fall apart the minute you take them off the pavement!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a 2004 or 2004.5 model??? </div></div>

Not sure. Its a 5.9 with a 6speed. </div></div>

You can check the valve cover on the drivers side to figure out which it is. If it says 305hp it's a 2004 model with federal emissions and if it says 325hp it's a 2004.5.

I see you're in California and if the truck was bought new there, I'm pretty sure it will be an 04.5. I don't think the NV5600 (6spd manual) was available in a California emissions compliant truck until the 2004.5 model. The 03 and 04 CA compliant trucks had 5spd manuals.

There are a number of differences between 2004 and 2004.5 models. I don't remember what all the changes were, but some that come to mind are:
04 CA emissions - 235hp 460tq (shouldn't be this model if it's a 6spd)
04 - 305hp 555tq (federal emissions)
04.5 - 325hp 600tq

04 - 3.5"/4" exhaust
04.5 - 4" turbo back exhaust

04 - no cat
04.5 - cat in exhaust

04 - mechanically actuated wastegate
04.5 - electronically controlled wastegate

04 - two injection events
04.5 - third injection event added

04 - fan shroud attached to radiator
04.5 - fan shroud attached to engine

04.5 has a larger compressor, different fuel injectors, different pistons and some air flow improvements in the head. It also has a different cam profile that I believe closes the exhaust valve earlier...

If you slap a programmer on it, the 04.5 can gain more power than the 04.

In stock form the 04 should run cooler, keep the oil cleaner and get better mileage.

Either one would be a good truck, but if I had a choice I would prefer an 04 305/555.

I got out of playing with these trucks years ago so I apologize if any of my info is inaccurate. My memory isn't the greatest...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the 94-2002 years. The 12 valves are hard to beat as far a reliability goes. I had a 2000 with a 5 speed and it was one of the best trucks I have ever owned. Wish I wouldn't have traded it off for a newer one. Traded it for a 2004 5.9 and it was a good truck as well. The only thing I didn't like was it was an automatic and I really wasn't impressed with the tranny. When pulling with it no matter if it was only a couple thousand pounds or 12000 pounds, it shifted all the time. Another gear would have helped or lower geared rear end as well. All in all I think the 2004 is one of the last good years before they put way too much emission crap on them. </div></div>

Just to clarify, the 12v was in the 94-98 trucks and has a mechanical injection pump. 98.5-02 have the 24v diesel with the VP44 injection pump which is not as reliable as the 12v's pump. That said, the 24v are still really good engines in my opinion. I have an 01.5 with over 300k trouble free miles.

chawk thanks for that. I am buying it out of Mt, the county I live in, in Ca doesnt require it to be smogged, LUCKILY.

I think I will want a little extra power, but I dont want it to be a hot rod, and I dont drive it like a hot rod, except to clean and blow all the soot out every couple of months. I rather have good fuel mileage.

Far as an exhaust/engine brake, whats something to look into? I have been reading over at cummingsforum and they seem to say pacbrakes or Rd, anyone here have any good suggestions. I pull a heavy horse trailer loaded, so I am willing to spend some money up to about $2k if need be to get a good engine brake in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the 94-2002 years. The 12 valves are hard to beat as far a reliability goes. I had a 2000 with a 5 speed and it was one of the best trucks I have ever owned. Wish I wouldn't have traded it off for a newer one. Traded it for a 2004 5.9 and it was a good truck as well. The only thing I didn't like was it was an automatic and I really wasn't impressed with the tranny. When pulling with it no matter if it was only a couple thousand pounds or 12000 pounds, it shifted all the time. Another gear would have helped or lower geared rear end as well. All in all I think the 2004 is one of the last good years before they put way too much emission crap on them. </div></div>

Just to clarify, the 12v was in the 94-98 trucks and has a mechanical injection pump. 98.5-02 have the 24v diesel with the VP44 injection pump which is not as reliable as the 12v's pump. That said, the 24v are still really good engines in my opinion. I have an 01.5 with over 300k trouble free miles.</div></div>

Ya I forgot to add that about the 12 an 24 valve. Was typing on an I phone and was in a hurry but you sir are correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">chawk thanks for that. I am buying it out of Mt, the county I live in, in Ca doesnt require it to be smogged, LUCKILY.

I think I will want a little extra power, but I dont want it to be a hot rod, and I dont drive it like a hot rod, except to clean and blow all the soot out every couple of months. I rather have good fuel mileage.

Far as an exhaust/engine brake, whats something to look into? I have been reading over at cummingsforum and they seem to say pacbrakes or Rd, anyone here have any good suggestions. I pull a heavy horse trailer loaded, so I am willing to spend some money up to about $2k if need be to get a good engine brake in it. </div></div>

I haven't logged on in months (probably years) but the Sniper's Hide of diesel sites was, and I presume still is, www.competitiondiesel.com. Just search before asking rookie questions or be prepared for a Hide like reception...

IMO cumminsforum is the ar15.com of dodge diesel sites.

If you want good technical info without a bunch of BS you can also check out turbodieselregister. It is a subscription based forum but probably well worth the cost.

I'm out of the loop on latest and greatest, but based on what I know from a few years ago, I would recommend you look at the Smarty for extra power and probably pac-brake if you plan to stick with the stock turbo. If you think you might go with a bigger turbo at some point you may want to look in to the inline exhaust brakes that mount down in the exhaust system instead of on the back of the turbo. I would say stick with the stock turbo, get a turbo mounted brake and keep the power increases mild.

Also consider using fuel filters with a better micron rating than the standard filter that comes with the truck. Contaminated fuel is hard on the common rail injectors and IMO a lot of issues on the CR trucks are injector related and can be avoided by better fuel filtration.

Just be careful not to get carried away with modding the truck unless you want to spend a ton of money. The extra power that comes so easy (and relatively cheap initially) with these trucks is addictive. I've had a few heavily modded dodges over the years with twin turbos and all that and while it's fun, it's expensive!

(Edit to add that this last bit is assuming you end up adding power by some means...)
Do your research and find out how much hp/tq the stock clutch will handle while towing heavy (I don't remember their limit) and consider getting the appropriate gauges to keep an eye on things while towing, egt's especially.

I drive a 98 school bus with the 5.9 12v mechanical injection pump. It g.v.w.r is 26500 lbs. with not problems. It has never not started or had any problems. The schools bus shop only services it once a year. It has 100K hard miles on it.

Well I will save my pennies for a pacbrake then. I dont want to do to many mods, I just want a hair better fuel and slight performance out of it.

Are the banks six gun chips any good? From the little research I did, it seems like they have some that have a display screen, and the gauges/temps are in that. Would that be a decent way to go, or are the actual gauges installed better?

Banks is shit on a Cummins! Dont waste your money.

The one to have for Dodge is the Quadzilla Programmer. They are very nice. My buddy has one on his truck and its a hell of a performer for the money.

An exhaust system, air intake, good programmer, high quality engine oil will actually give you the performance you desire and better fuel economy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the 94-2002 years. The 12 valves are hard to beat as far a reliability goes. I had a 2000 with a 5 speed and it was one of the best trucks I have ever owned. Wish I wouldn't have traded it off for a newer one. Traded it for a 2004 5.9 and it was a good truck as well. The only thing I didn't like was it was an automatic and I really wasn't impressed with the tranny. When pulling with it no matter if it was only a couple thousand pounds or 12000 pounds, it shifted all the time. Another gear would have helped or lower geared rear end as well. All in all I think the 2004 is one of the last good years before they put way too much emission crap on them. </div></div>

Just to clarify, the 12v was in the 94-98 trucks and has a mechanical injection pump. 98.5-02 have the 24v diesel with the VP44 injection pump which is not as reliable as the 12v's pump. That said, the 24v are still really good engines in my opinion. I have an 01.5 with over 300k trouble free miles.</div></div>

Ya I forgot to add that about the 12 an 24 valve. Was typing on an I phone and was in a hurry but you sir are correct. </div></div>

My 12 valve is a manual and I tow with it on the regular. Think we moved 6 front loader tires yesterday that were about 20,000 pounds which is the limit here without a CDL license and having your truck licensed to haul that much. It tows it like its nothing. But stock the 12 valves were like 250hp..... mine is over 700hp and 1400 ft/lbs of torque.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My 12 valve is a manual and I tow with it on the regular. Think we moved 6 front loader tires yesterday that were about 20,000 pounds which is the limit here without a CDL license and having your truck licensed to haul that much. It tows it like its nothing. But stock the 12 valves were like 250hp..... mine is over 700hp and 1400 ft/lbs of torque. </div></div>

What mods have you done?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I will save my pennies for a pacbrake then. I dont want to do to many mods, I just want a hair better fuel and slight performance out of it.

Are the banks six gun chips any good? From the little research I did, it seems like they have some that have a display screen, and the gauges/temps are in that. Would that be a decent way to go, or are the actual gauges installed better? </div></div>

I've never been a big fan of banks stuff. It's not bad, but I think there are better products available. With your goals for the truck check out the Smarty Jr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything...... </div></div>

LOL,

I was curious about specifics... clutch, injectors, pump work, turbo(s), etc. No sweat though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Banks is shit on a Cummins! Dont waste your money.

The one to have for Dodge is the Quadzilla Programmer. They are very nice. My buddy has one on his truck and its a hell of a performer for the money.

An exhaust system, air intake, good programmer, high quality engine oil will actually give you the performance you desire and better fuel economy. </div></div>

When you say programmer, you mean chip? I had always used delo 400 in my powerstroke, should I use something different in a cummins?

Someone said smarty jr, I had been reading about it. It sounds like they are fairly complicated to deal with, from what I have read.

Obviously I will need some gauges, 1 for tranny, 1 for exhaust, and what else?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have an 09 6.7 and have had zero problems with it. been a great truck...the reason everybody says to stay away from the 06 is that the interior on that year model was terrible. as for programmers, i am an H&S fan. for gauges, get a trannie temp, boost temp, a way to monitor your fuel rail pressure, pyrometer and possibly a drive pressure gauge, but the last is really optional unless you are trying to make ungodly high horsepower numbers on the stock turbo. I have one on my 6.7 because it has the VGT has a tendancy to build back pressure pushing higher numbers.

I've got an 04.5 myself with 150k on it. All i have replaced within the 150k is 2 factory fuel lift pumps, 1 pressure valve on the common rail, and unlike worries for you, a auto trans.

I did finally change the last lift pump from behind the filter housing to the one that mounts in the tank. Strongly recommend this.

As far as the pressure switch, that was my fault for running a high HP program. No one to blame but myself on that.

You don't have to worry, being you bought the 6 speed, but the auto trans gave out on me at 100k. I had an all billet trans reinstalled, and had no problems since.

I used to work on these trucks at the dealer. Change the fuel filter every time you change oil. Remember sometimes you can get parts cheaper at the Cummins dealer than the dodge dealer. An example we just found at work is the price of injectors on a 2011 Ram 4500. Ram dealer wanted $1710 for the part called the Cummins dealer with the ESN and they only wanted $318 for the same injector.

I have installed the Smarty for customers and they have been very happy with the results. To me kind of a toss up between the Smarty and the Quadzilla. Just looks like preference on the two.

If you have more questions you can pm me. I have access to all the dodge service manuals and I have contacts at both Ram and Cummins for support if needed.