• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Does 6.5 creedmor need a different bolt than .308? Sako TRG extraction/ejection issues

RRA_45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
kingston, oklahoma
I changed the barrel on my Sako TRG 22 (originally .308) to a 26" 6.5 CM barrel from KRG. It is fantastically accurate.

I am however having some issues with ejection. If I work the bolt slow the brass is pulled out of the chamber but just plops down on top of the next round in the mag. If I work it fast then 90% of the time it ejects fine. Even when I move it fast though sometimes it does not eject. There is no issue extracting the brass from the chamber. It's like the extractor releases the brass to early and the brass just falls off the bold head.

Am I supposed to get a different extractor?

Nope and nope!
I’d make sure your plunger and extractor are clean and in good shape.
You should look and see if the cartridge rolls out of the extractor or is getting cammed out a bit because of interference with the rim.

Seems to be long standing issue with Sako.

I have a TRG 22 in 6.5 CM and I’ve not experienced any ejection issues in 1,022 rounds, that’s with Hornady, Federal and Lapua brass.

Edit: All factory ammo, no reloads.

Last edited:
Does the TRG use a blade ejector like the 75? Or a spring loaded one like Remingtons/Howas/Etc?

Does the TRG use a blade ejector like the 75? Or a spring loaded one like Remingtons/Howas/Etc?
From my TRG 22 6.5 CM

9BB9CE5D-69D2-408B-A541-40874A400D67.jpeg

I changed the barrel on my Sako TRG 22 (originally .308) to a 26" 6.5 CM barrel from KRG. It is fantastically accurate.

I am however having some issues with ejection. If I work the bolt slow the brass is pulled out of the chamber but just plops down on top of the next round in the mag. If I work it fast then 90% of the time it ejects fine. Even when I move it fast though sometimes it does not eject. There is no issue extracting the brass from the chamber. It's like the extractor releases the brass to early and the brass just falls off the bold head.

Am I supposed to get a different extractor?

A couple things to look at. First, some vocabulary. It's a push feed, spring eject type operating system using a pivoting extractor.
What you take from this is that a few things need to happen. The extractor should have some shell pressure so that it exerts an inward force on the case to maintain a purchase on the rim.

That is step one to look at. Make sure you have good spring tension on the extractor.

Next, the plunger on the ejector. Ensure it runs without obstruction.

Last:

308: Nominal length is 2.015", ND is.343"
6.5 : Nominal length is 1.92", ND is .295"

I don't have a Sako in front of me to know what the swept arc is of the bolt head. I'm going to guess its around one inch. My numbers are based on that.

A fired .308 coming out of the chamber pitches approximately 19.5 degrees before the neck of the case contacts the inner wall of the raceway on the receiver. The Creed is shorter, so the angle increases by an additional 2-1/2 degrees.

IF the extractor purchase is "iffy" what could be happening is the rim of the case is slipping out from underneath the claw and it then slides "sideways" a bit. If this is happening, the ejector pin becomes your enemy because its only going to encourage the behavior that much more.

One way to test this is to pull the ejector pin out of the bolt. Now see if the cases extract without falling into the load port. If they behave, you might try trimming a coil at a time from the ejector pin spring to reduce the pressure. Just know its a one-way street. If it goes to shit, you'll have to replace that. I would make sure you can source the part before going to that extreme. Also, know that it may work fine on an empty case, but a loaded one will likely behave very lethargically because of the bullet mass now being swung outward.

Hope this helps.

C.