• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone actually disassemble their rifle?

As every match I seem to shoot now is in the pissing rain I fully disassemble my rifles fairly regularly.
Pulling the action from the stock is also something I do regularly for cleaning.

As for corroding fasteners, I somewhat regularly put some oil on all the heads to stop the rust.
After shooting in the rain I’ll squirt them all with WD40/CRC to displace the water then clean off the excess.

Reactions: lash
Have you looked at the Boyd’s stock line?

View attachment 8107798

I did look at this, thank you for the info. I'd need to add a stock-end adjustable height device but that's not too difficult.

I started doing my own builds over the years. Started with bedding and Duracoat. Evolved into complete ground up builds with full Cerakote on everything excepts optics and firing mechanism. I’ve acquired function specific tools and routinely completely disassemble bolt guns, AR’s, pistols and some shotguns.

Before I routinely took my barreled action out of the stock when wiping down after a hunt or wet weather conditions.

I am not pulling the barrels off my Sako's myself. Seen the results of someone doing it wrong with and action wrench on a different brand rifle and they twisted the action. Certain things I don't want to risk and I know those Sako barrels are a PITA to remove the first time. Everything else gets broken down after shooting in rainy conditions.

Reactions: brianf
What I've learned after years of shooting long range bolt action rifles...the less you mess with them the better they perform. For bore cleaning, I just use my normal CLP (SLIP 2000) for a light clean and lube and to remove the carbon, either after a match and/or before a match. Maybe every 300-400 rounds I'll use some stronger bore cleaner to remove SOME of the copper, but nothing too strong and never any metal brushes. I don't remove the action from the stock/chassis unless I feel it's really needed...damage to the bedding is more of a concern. Would not even consider removing the barrel from the action for cleaning, only to install a new barrel or if it was a quick change barrel setup.

For my semi-auto rifles and pistols, I'm much more inclined to tear them apart to a greater degree for a clean and lube on a regular basis.

when I clean my gun the barrel , action , and trigger I also clean the chassis . on my 22's I have not cleaned them but have wiped the wood down to get the finger dirt and grime off then use wood wax . .

Every rifle is a quick change barrel system if you have a torque wrench I clean mine with the barrel and brake off every single time.

Mine come pre-disassembled

bren composite2.jpg

DSCN3886.JPG
DSCN3888.JPG

I have torque wrenches for my cars too but I don't take the wheels off to wash them.
Your car wheels being cleaned on a microscopic level don’t affect the accuracy of something you pump 100’s of dollars out the end of in competition and travel expense. You can clean chamber and throat exponentially better with your action out of the way and don’t get solvents and crap in your trigger and raceways.