• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does anyone here can deer?

gray1974

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2011
West TN
I am wanting to can some deer this year and would like some of y'alls recipes if you don't mind giving up your secrets.

I've heard of it being done. Haven't done it. Kind of interested though.

Moose, Deer, Bear, Fish all get jarred (canned) at my res. In fact, I was up til 0230 this morning jarring a blacktail deer that I got a few days ago.

Recipe:
1 pint jars.
Cube cut venison into sizable chunks.
Pack into jars with about 1 inch head space.

In a sauce pan, heat up beef broth and add parsley flakes, garlic salt, and any other seasoning that you like.
On top of the packed venison, add chopped dried onion.
Pour mixture over packed venison and use a butter knife to take out any air pockets. Use just enough broth to cover the venison.

Wipe rims of jars and screw on the lids.
Place in pressure cooker and heat at 11lbs pressure for 75 minutes.

Hey Bear guide, thanks for the input. Sounds good but I am allergic to beef so I guess I'll substitute chicken broth. Thanks again.

Sorry for your allergy- Beef is one of my staple foods.
I do not personally can deer, but I have a good friend who does. I'll check with him to see if he will share any tips or recipes.
Knowing how deer or bear pot roasts respond to tomato based "liquid" in the crock pot, I would think that you could get some excellent results with heating spaghetti sauce and using that for the "liquid" with spices in the BearGuide's recipe. That way you could by-pass the beef broth but have a flavorful substitute. As long as you remove the air-pockets, the results would be the same as far as preservation of meat goes, and you would not have to worry about the beef issue.

You can actually make your own broth with the venison.

Brown about 2 pints of venison, add water, celery, parsley, garlic, salt to taste and boil it for a couple hours. Let the broth cool, but not cold, and add it to the packed venison. You can actually just add salted and seasoned water to the packed venison and it will turn out. The only reason I use beef broth is it is easier and faster.

What BearGuide said is pretty much the same way we can ours as well. We do it with beef broth too, but like he pointed out its pretty easy to make your own broth. Its a nice alternative to have around and keeps very well.

I have done it several times and people think it's beef when they eat it. I just cube the meat, stuff jars leaving 1" of head space, add 1/2 tsp of salt. Stick the jars in the pressure canner at 10 LBS for 90 min. It's fully cooked and ready to eat when it comes out of the pressure cooker. I make beef and noodles with it mostly. It's also nice to pull a jar out and pass around after a few beers. Be sure to cut most of the fat off and don't add water to the jars, enjoy!

Canning Venison, raw packed, cubed or strips. So easy.

Wow man, that sounds like a horrible allergy. I feel sorry for you bro.
I have been without beef for so long, I don't even miss it anymore. I just wish a person could make meatloaf that tastes worth a shit from ground pork, turkey or deer. Meatloaf just ain't right without ground beef.

I did that about 35 years ago and don't remember how I did it. I do remember it was good though.

I'm willing to bet there are almost as many "recipes" for canning venison as there are "recipes" for annealing brass.....

Heat, pressure, time, and seasoning......not much voodoo involved at all.

I have done it several times and people think it's beef when they eat it. I just cube the meat, stuff jars leaving 1" of head space, add 1/2 tsp of salt. Stick the jars in the pressure canner at 10 LBS for 90 min. It's fully cooked and ready to eat when it comes out of the pressure cooker. I make beef and noodles with it mostly. It's also nice to pull a jar out and pass around after a few beers. Be sure to cut most of the fat off and don't add water to the jars, enjoy!

Canning Venison, raw packed, cubed or strips. So easy.

+1, 90min after 10min of pressure cooker weight making the noise. I add some pepper, and I use canning salt, not table salt. That said, I "hot-pack." I cook the cut up/cubed meet in water 'til all the meat is grey and has boiled for 30min. I add the meat to a quart jar, then add the broth from boiling the meat. I use a plastic knife to dislodge the air bubbles, as a metal knife can cause micro chips in the glass (i.e. bad for pressure changes with glass). The meat comes out of the jar like a slow cooked roast that has cooked all night. Dump that shit out, heat it up, and pour over rice.

I canned three deer last year. I deer renders only about 7-12 quarts of non-hamburger deboned meat (Ohio size deer). A big Texas deer is about 7 quarts of meat (non-hamburger meat)

Last edited:
I have been without beef for so long, I don't even miss it anymore. I just wish a person could make meatloaf that tastes worth a shit from ground pork, turkey or deer. Meatloaf just ain't right without ground beef.

Meatloaf just ain't right, or at least I've never tasted good Meatloaf.

Can you eat venison or buffalo?

I like to dredge cubed venison in flour, pepper, garlic salt. fry it hot to brown it, then can similar to previous posts. The flour dredge helps turn the juice (water, broth, whatever) into a gravy. Jalapenos, habaneros, garlic, onions, carrots, are all welcome additions. I have smoked tuna I have caught and canned it to, I really like the smoke flavor, never tried it with deer. At my elevation I think I need to be at 12-13 psi.

Try bison. It cost more than beef but I know one person with a beef allergy that makes bison burgers. I would try to make a meat loaf with it.

When I started caning venison with a friend of mine, we gathered up around ten different recipes and made two quarts of each recipe. Then we both had a quart of each to let the family decide which one was best. The recipes ranged from having onion in them, to bacon, browned to raw. I would have to look at the recipe,but we both liked the one that just had caning salt, garlic powder, a scoop of better than bullion beef bullion, and about 3/4" of beef tallow on top. Also we just packed the jars with raw meat. 90 min from when it starts rattling. Like stated above, remove fat from top of jar(it will be solid) then pour everything else in the pot to warm meat and thicken with flour. Put on top of mash potatoes or egg noodles. Another good quick meal is to sauté a small can of mushrooms and a half onion, and combine with meat and a bottle of Heinz Chili sauce for a pulled barbecue sandwiches.

smoke it. I make a 4-5 lb venison/some pork, loaf slice it up, freeze it for quick dinner sandwich. no set recipe, 1 or 2 eggs, garlic carrot celery onion chopped up fine in a blender, salt pepper bread crumbs. smoked for 3 hrs or so at about 3-350

Finally eat some of the deer I canned. Mixed it with a can of cream of mushroom soup and poured over cornbread. Damn it was good!!

I also cut two hams into fist sized chunks and pressure cooked with BBQ sauce and onions. Shreaded when done and baked in oven for twenty minutes with more BBQ sauce. Eat it like pulled pork. Mighty fine.

I am wanting to can some deer this year and would like some of y'alls recipes if you don't mind giving up your secrets.

Don't the deer complain when you shove them into the dark little can? I should think they would prefer a glass jar so they could at least look out.

Frankly this site is one of the best regarding information. I love to cook and I get interested about some of the preparations mentioned above. Thanks.

Can't help with the canning recipe, but I can with the meatloaf. Ground venison mixed 75/25 with ground Wright Brand bacon ends and pieces (sold in bulk at Walmart next to the strip bacon) use any meatloaf recipe that would be used with beef and it is finger lickin. Also use it for burgers and tacos with great results.

Deer and Elk sandwiches is what makes this so good. Meant for each other ! :)

Don't the deer complain when you shove them into the dark little can? I should think they would prefer a glass jar so they could at least look out.
I actually use mason jars. You should see em roll their eyes when I walk by the shelf. I always seem to have that "watched" feeling in the pantry now.