• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Does anything rival the Burris XTR3 for the money? If so, what ?

Xtr3 5-30 can be had for $1k currently, anything better for $1k or less?

Bushnell Match Pro Rifle Scope 5-30x 56mm for $700?

My $0.02. If your application works with the reduced FOV and higher magnification, the Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50 FFP with mil tree reticle is a little better than the XTR III 3.3-18x50 SCR-2 IMO for a similar price (when both are on sale). I have both scopes and really like them both for this price range. They are similar in optical quality, but the LHT is just a little easier to get behind at a given mag level, has slightly better optical performance, and the LHT turrets and controls are not stiff like the XTR III (which is my one complaint about the XTR). If anything, the LHT turrets are a little bit mushy but not bad at all for this price range. The LHT is also lighter by a few ounces. I use the XTR III 3.3-18 when the extra FOV is important, otherwise the LHT is a better enough IMO to be worth the extra $. Right now the XTR III is on clearance pricing at EO and the LHT is not on sale anywhere I found, so the price difference is more than normal. The current EO XTR III pricing is quite good. When the LHT is on sale (or if you call around and ask for better pricing than online) you can get the LHT for just a couple hundred more than the XTR III sale price.

How about the XTR2 on sale at EO? Is there any better optic for a rimfire for the money or should I quit being cheap and just get the XTR3?

How about the XTR2 on sale at EO? Is there any better optic for a rimfire for the money or should I quit being cheap and just get the XTR3?
Under $650... IMO, nothing else out there touches the newer XTR-II 5-25x50 SCR scopes on sale at EO. I have several of them, and have replaced numerous Vortex and Arken scopes with them...Including an Arken EP5 & SH4 Gen2, a Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C and a couple of Viper HST/PST scopes, which were known to have pretty good glass.

If you can afford the extra $350 for the XTR-3 5.5-30x56 SCR2, then I'd go that route. My XTR-III is noticeably better than my XTR-II's.

Reactions: Hickswr
I've got an Athlon Ares 4.5-30 x 56 and a Sightron S3.
The Sightron has great glass and seems to track well. But above 16x I find the eye box to be very very small.

It may be because its only a 50mm objetive and the exit pupil is smaller at a given magnification than the Athlon. But it shouldn't make that much difference having a roughly 10% larger objective.

The Athlon is much easier to shoot behind when you are in a less than ideal position with a comparatively forgiving eye box.