• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does concentricity matter?

I had no idea Imperial neck lube was made for sizing, my bad, I've only heard of guys dipping bullets in it, or necks to aid seating bullets. But I'm still not buying any, lol
Back before bushing dies became popular, we used the old plain Jane neck dies. I used to use a Forester lube similar to the Imperial. It worked for the application but those old dies left something to be desired.

Dunning-Krugger effect, if I’ve ever seen it.

1]
0B3057A2-640A-43CD-87FD-FD304E17A890.png

Wiki

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive abilityas greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.[1]
As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the cognitive bias of illusory superiority results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[

Dunning-Krugger effect, if I’ve ever seen it.

1]View attachment 7093022

Wiki

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive abilityas greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.[1]
As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the cognitive bias of illusory superiority results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[

I wonder how closely related this is to NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder)....

Reactions: lash and Bender
Back before bushing dies became popular, we used the old plain Jane neck dies. I used to use a Forester lube similar to the Imperial. It worked for the application but those old dies left something to be desired.

I tried the Imperial dry lube, and it didn't work too well for me (used it in a bushing die, and it ended up scoring the bushing). I also used it for bullet seating, but I found no improved performance, even with ammo that was stored for a few weeks/months. And I hated the stuff getting everywhere, after handling cases that had been dipped in it. Shrug...I'm sure it works for some, but I never had much luck with the stuff.

I’ve never measured it. Guess it has an impact, but it’s probably only really worth looking at if you are chasing that last bit of precision. Getting consistent sub half moa groups is easily doable without checking, which is good enough for what I do.

If I was chasing sub .1moa, it would probably be on my radar.

Reactions: Srikaleak
I use imperial sizing wax on all mandrels and sizing buttons for necks. It makes a difference on the finished surface of the brass and I can feel the difference seating Bullets.

Now to be clear, after sizing I tumble all the lube off.

Second note, I have used dry neck lube for seating Bullets when I used to stainless steel tumble my brass.

It also made more consistent seating pressures and seating depths.

I’ve since abandoned lubing necks because I went back to dry media which leaves some carbon in the necks.

I’ve gotten some helpful information from this thread, but a lot of back and forth nonsense, but I guess that comes with forums so no big deal.

For the guys that mention BR shooters out to 1000 yards, what arbors are they typically using and what dies?

I’ve gotten some helpful information from this thread, but a lot of back and forth nonsense, but I guess that comes with forums so no big deal.

For the guys that mention BR shooters out to 1000 yards, what arbors are they typically using and what dies?
Arbor presses are 21st century, K&M and Sinclair. LE wilson is mainly the die of choice.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Thanks for the arbor press ideas. I was searching around and getting really interested in Concentricity. I came across one from Accurate Shooter, this thing looks like it does everything really well. What are SH member thoughts?

That its really expensive for something that you will likely use a handful of times, get bored with and leave it to rot on the shelf like most do. If you want one among the best then Id go with the 21st century model with indicator for $190. http://www.xxicsi.com/concentricity-gauge.html
Ive heard as many pros as cons in regards to the spinny wheels so its not a necessity imo.

Holy crapppppp. This thread is a world-class calamity.

What an entertaining read!! I seriously know a shit ton about concentric ammo (or non-concentric ammo) and how to insult people at the same time!!

The Hide just keeps on giving!!

Using RCBS Summit, Whidden FL die and titanium nitrate bushing, 21st Century mandrel and die body, LE Wilson Seater, moly dry lube, hornady concentricity gauge … my results in the video. If video not shown , runout was <0.0003”

Is there a benchmark on what is good or not good for a concentricity value to obtain a practical level of accuracy? I'm measuring about 0.0015" TIR on the neck after sizing and 0.004" on the bullet after seating. Does anyone pay any attention to concentricity when loading for PRS/NRL style of shooting?

Process I'm doing right now for 6.5 CM and 147 ELD-M load is de-capping with the Lee tool first. Clean. Hornandy 1 shot lube. Size with RCBS rock-chucker and Redding FL sizing die. Trim and chamfer. Seat with Redding competition seating die. Accuracy for this load has been fine at 3/8" to 1/2". SD's around 8-10.
No