• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does it make sense...

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    To take my SPR and Recce apart and mash them up into a SPRecce?

1710177839530.png

20231118_230347.jpg

I was thinking about this over the weekend. Both shoot well but they're set up so similar and kinda do the same thing. The only difference is that one is 2" shorter and runs a 2.5-10 vs. a 4-16 and for me 16" is plenty of barrel length.

I was thinking of getting a new MLOK rail to replace the BCM KMR but otherwise it'd get built out like this from what I already have.

16" WOA ML barrel
    PRI QC brake
    Vltor Mur upper receiver
    Aero lower with A5 RE
    Magpul SL w/ Arisaka angle adapter and bag rider
    Geissele SSA-E
    Sierra Precision grip
    NF 4-16 ATACR
    Sig Romeo5 in offset mount

Last edited:
    Reactions: ut755ln and simonp
    The SPR was SOCOM’s collective response to JSOC’s original early 1990s Sniper/Recce Carbines, which included many different variations in terms of which float tubes were used, optic mounts in the carry handle, optic types (early Aimpoints vs Japanese 1.5-4x Microdot), shaved carry handles with Weaver or early 1913-ish rails drilled and tapped to the upper and normal scope rings, AIM-1s vs PAQ-4C LAMs, Surefires, KAC VFGs with integrated button switches for the LAM and WPL, Lone Star Ordnance Pistol Grips, CAR cheek pieces, John Masen shark tooth rubber butt pads, Redi-Mags, Ops Inc. reflex suppressors, etc.

JSOCMOD_723_k16RkzQ2JKZcAuCnrD6HVZ.jpeg

The original intent was for Sniper/Recce Sections to have lightweight 723 carbines free-floated with optics that wouldn’t hinder them when maneuvering or providing overwatch from rotary wing platforms. They had M21s and SR25s already, but also wanted a lightweight 5.56 sniper system that handled very close to their existing 14.5” carbines.

iu

The SPR is basically a slightly-obese reaction to that developed by a committee between SF and the Navy, rapidly-fielded using work-arounds with existing parts in the inventory, and relationships with barrel suppliers (who had already been providing accurate pipes for the AMU and sniper rifles within SOF).

It’s a constantly-moving type of carbine that has moved on to a different chambering over the past few years, making SR-25s even more marginalized.

LRRPF52 pretty much presents the full spectrum circle we’ve journeyed on to get here today. It makes for a very useful map to identify where you are at, Lol! I would place you at approximately 2013-2015 in progression. 😅

The capability gap between the Recce and SPR specifications you have shared is razor thin. It will probable come down to what you want to prioritize. One hand you can have a very compact but very flexible package in the “Recce” or a slightly bulkier set up with an edge of ballistic range and PID capability with a “SPR”

i have 2 scoped 16's and and 18. i dont shoot 223 past about 400 yards so shorter is nice. either length will poke a hole in something. to me, barrel ability and scope are more important than length, for a 223.

redundancy is nice though. 2 is 1 and 1 in none.

Enjoy the rifle and have fun. If you are serious about RECCE and SPR, lose the Aero and BCM parts. You probably have better parts than the operators in the early 2000's so make your clone your own.

Reactions: Bcamos
    What ranges do you have access to around your area?

Will you use it in any gas gun matches?

LRRPF52 pretty much presents the full spectrum circle we’ve journeyed on to get here today. It makes for a very useful map to identify where you are at, Lol! I would place you at approximately 2013-2015 in progression. 😅

The capability gap between the Recce and SPR specifications you have shared is razor thin. It will probable come down to what you want to prioritize. One hand you can have a very compact but very flexible package in the “Recce” or a slightly bulkier set up with an edge of ballistic range and PID capability with a “SPR”

It's because I'm broke, that's why I'm still running the same stuff I did in 2015 lol. When I could dedicate funds to gun stuff I prioritized ammo mostly, hence why I'm still running Keymod. The narrow capability gap is why I'm thinking of making a SPRecce and optimizing a 16" gun with the 4-16 and offset red dot.

@tucaz, the 18" wouldn't really be going away so I'd still have two, one would just be more optimized for my needs.

@LRRPF52, I have a private range not far from me so normally I can get 500 yards and occasionally they open up the UKD range that can stretch out farther. I used to shoot gas gun matches quite frequently with the 16" gun and then built the 18" specifically for DMR matches but then they seemed to fizzle out locally so I'd use the 16" for 2-gun matches sometimes and the 18" would basically be a range toy.

I think I'm going to plop the 4-16 on the 16" gun tonight and see how I like it with the red dot.

I dunno. I've got short guns and long guns. My long guns have the capability to put everything the short guns have on them. My "SPR" has added rails for a light and gangster grip. It doesn't wear them but it's got them. My short guns also have the added rails to rock a bipod if I wanted to...

That doesn't help you at all haha.

I would just set up multiple guns. I know if I wanna shoot far and accurately I grab my 20". If I had to clear rooms and probably die trying I'd grab my 12.5.

I put the 4-16 ATACR on the Recce last night and really like the set up. Without getting deep in the weeds, the SPRecce weighs a shade under what the SPR did wearing the ATACR except compared to the SPR it has a better offset sighting system, and a weapon light while feeling better balanced and more compact. I have other AR's, one set up with a 1-6, and another set up with a red dot and weapon light so it's not like these are my only ones. The SPR will probably wear the 2.5-10X24 and be put in reserve until I decide to go through this exercise again.

I'm going to start looking at MLOK rails, haven't settled on anything yet though.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Did you texture your own SPR grip? Looks nice.

I love those grips and have been using them since 2003.

Honestly, I'd probably just swap the scopes around and leave everything else alone. I don't see anything that warrants changing from a performance perspective. Ammo selection is probably the largest concern.

Honestly, I'd probably just swap the scopes around and leave everything else alone. I don't see anything that warrants changing from a performance perspective. Ammo selection is probably the largest concern.
    You're not wrong, all of the components have been solid performers in their respective set ups. My idea/goal in this is to take the best from both so to speak to try and optimize a scoped carbine into a jack of all trades sort of thing that's for me 80% mid-range, 20% sub-100 yards.

While the BCM keymod rails have worked well I'd still like to swap it out for MLOK so I have more parts commonality with some of my bolt guns and more options for accessories. I'm eyeing the MI Night Fighter rail.
    1710429978815.png

Another idea that I had last night was that after I get the 16" carbine done, swap the KMR for a BCM quad rail on the 18" gun, then add a brake and collar to do a Mock12 set up.

Quick update, I found the NF 13.5" rail for a good deal last weekend and it arrived today so I got it on the upper. My initial impressions are that it's hell for stout without being a boat anchor. Anyway, I took some weight measurements to see where it ended up and it's right in the middle between the old SPR and Recce configurations at 10.06 lbs. I'm going to try to take it out tomorrow and get it zeroed and maybe play around out to 500 yards. I'll report back.

Reactions: camocorvette
    20240324_172837.jpg

20240324_181625.jpg

I got the rifle zeroed with IMI 77gr OTM today. I didn't expect a significant improvement in the group sizes going to the SPRecce set up because the SPR and Recce shot to similar levels in their previous configurations anyway, this was just an amalgamation of them using mostly the same parts. I do like this set up though, it feels maneuverable, capable, and a good all arounder platform.

I've literally got less than 100 rounds on this rail but just getting it installed yesterday I already liked it more than the BCM that was on there before. Install was super smooth, it had big fasteners (I've stripped out a couple of the T-15 BCM fasteners), I also didn't need any heat, or the power of Greyskull to get the handguard over the barrel nut.

Last edited:
    You've got the best compromise on both gun and component-wise, these are solid builds. I'm eager to see the results you end up with!

It's because I'm broke, that's why I'm still running the same stuff I did in 2015 lol. When I could dedicate funds to gun stuff I prioritized ammo mostly, hence why I'm still running Keymod. The narrow capability gap is why I'm thinking of making a SPRecce and optimizing a 16" gun with the 4-16 and offset red dot.

@tucaz, the 18" wouldn't really be going away so I'd still have two, one would just be more optimized for my needs.

@LRRPF52, I have a private range not far from me so normally I can get 500 yards and occasionally they open up the UKD range that can stretch out farther. I used to shoot gas gun matches quite frequently with the 16" gun and then built the 18" specifically for DMR matches but then they seemed to fizzle out locally so I'd use the 16" for 2-gun matches sometimes and the 18" would basically be a range toy.

I think I'm going to plop the 4-16 on the 16" gun tonight and see how I like it with the red dot.
    Leave them alone. You have 2 nice rifles instead of one with a bunch of extra parts.

MM

You've got the best compromise on both gun and component-wise, these are solid builds. I'm eager to see the results you end up with!
    Literally the post above yours lol.

Leave them alone. You have 2 nice rifles instead of one with a bunch of extra parts.
    Too late. If by a bunch of extra parts you mean a complete rifle because I still have a rifle with an 18" barrel and NF 2.5-10. I'm planning to make that one a Mock12 Modone with a BCM QRF-12 and Ops Inc brake & collar.

Reactions: lastshot12
    To take my SPR and Recce apart and mash them up into a SPRecce?

View attachment 8370226
    View attachment 8370229

I was thinking about this over the weekend. Both shoot well but they're set up so similar and kinda do the same thing. The only difference is that one is 2" shorter and runs a 2.5-10 vs. a 4-16 and for me 16" is plenty of barrel length.

I was thinking of getting a new MLOK rail to replace the BCM KMR but otherwise it'd get built out like this from what I already have.

16" WOA ML barrel
    PRI QC brake
    Vltor Mur upper receiver
    Aero lower with A5 RE
    Magpul SL w/ Arisaka angle adapter and bag rider
    Geissele SSA-E
    Sierra Precision grip
    NF 4-16 ATACR
    Sig Romeo5 in offset mount

I've been considering consolidating shorter platforms recently as I have a bunch of redundant stuff, with that being said, in terms of your question. I think shorter guns such as 12.5-14.5's can be pushed into recce stuff with a decent optic and makes a little more sense to have a dedicated set up for shooting 556 for accuracy or distance.

I have a 10.5, 12,12.5, and 16 556's that are basically set up the same way, I think I will probably turn the 10.5 and 12.5 into a something SPRish with a 2-10 or 3-18 class optic.