• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does mirage show actual full value wind?

Emerson0311

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2018
Dawson Creek BC
What I’m asking is whether from the shooter’s point of view he/she sees only the actual wind influence on the bullet in the mirage, or actual wind speed and then needs to calculate the full value component based on wind direction vs OT line? I shoot CRPS, so 22LR to 350M-ish. Switchy wind kicks my ass. I’m looking to see enough wind info through the scope and spotting for other shooters to make reasonable adjustments in stage. Memorizing mirage appearance vs wind speed and range bracket hold overs is ok with me. I can brute force memorize if that will solve the problem.

Reactions: Dot3
In my experience the wind only shows influence, that being said, rough adjustments for wind speed can be made by comparing how flat the mirage is running to available charts ( usually old High Power/military marksmanship charts) or lots of experience reading mirage. It is up to the shooter to decide if the wind is full value or quartering. Mirage only shows the wind movement across the shooters view of the target. Don't shoot into a boil, wait it out if possible and try to shoot in the same condition. I absolutely loath the switchy winds also, 12 or 6 winds are always fishtailing, worse stuff to shoot in IMHO. At least the 1-5 and 7-11 winds are just pushing and letting off.

Reactions: Dot3
If you’re talking about making corrections on the clock for a 90s - 2min par time…..it’s not an easy task.

Mirage, you’ll need to have focus on the area where you want to look. Which most times won’t be at the target as the target wind speed is the least important at distances most shoot. So, you’ll either have to be focused closer and shooting a blurred/non parallax free target or you’ll be dialing your parallax on the clock. Both have their pros and cons.

And then you’ll be trying to decipher the angle of mirage for wind value. Which isn’t all that easy.

I would instead do two things for switchy winds:

- As much as possible, use a bracketed wind. For example a left hand wind where the wind picks up and dies, you’ll want to be hitting center-right side on the pickups and center-left on the let offs.

This works if the pick ups and let offs vs target size allows for this.

Normally you always want to be correcting to center each shot. But in the instance of switchy winds, you will forego that in this specific instance as you’re trying to increase your hit % without having to read the wind on the clock.

- when the wind vs target size doesn’t allow for a bracket, I would recommend using your time waiting to shoot on glass and find an object/s in your FoV that indicators of the pickup and let off.

Preferably an object that has something in the fore or background to compare it to.

For example, you find a tree limb that’s behind an unused target in your FoV. When the wind is picked up, the tree limb appears to point to X position on that steel. When the wind lets off, it appears to point to Y position.

Have a wind hold figured out for each position of the tree branch.

Then you don’t have to try to worry with mirage (that may or may not be doing something different due to terrain) and you have very, very defined points and something to make the decision for you on the clock. Before each shot, you take a quick look at the branch, and use the hold for what it’s doing.

Last edited:
What I’m asking is whether from the shooter’s point of view he/she sees only the actual wind influence on the bullet in the mirage, or actual wind speed and then needs to calculate the full value component based on wind direction vs OT line? I shoot CRPS, so 22LR to 350M-ish. Switchy wind kicks my ass. I’m looking to see enough wind info through the scope and spotting for other shooters to make reasonable adjustments in stage. Memorizing mirage appearance vs wind speed and range bracket hold overs is ok with me. I can brute force memorize if that will solve the problem.

Mirage shows the full value component of whatever wind is present

Yes, you can memorize what mirage sorta looks like for a given true value wind speed range. It takes a lot of time behind a scope and takes frequent repetition to keep sharp at it.

Probably the best feedback loop is NRA mid range prone matches where you get to see your impact on a huge target and you get enough time to correlate your wind call to your wind dope to the actual impact on target.

All useful replies. Wind is the cruel mistress for sure. Most stages have multiple targets at different ranges and I have learned to set the parallax somewhere in the middle. During the most recent match while spotting for other shooters I could see the mirage change as the wind switched, but I think the binos were better glass than my rifle scope. I’ll spend more time glassing to nail down wind direction and speed and continue the grind for better optics.

Reactions: HammerT