• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Does this annealed brass look ok? First go at it

7magsavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
Ok, so I used 650 degree tempilaq, propane torch. The brass stayed in the flame about ten seconds. This was a low flame (about one or one and a half inches). Some of the black stuff on the side you see is where I painted some tempilaq down the sides so as to be sure I wasn't getting the body/head too hot.
The thing is, I really don't see much of a color change on the brass.

IMG_5627_zps2d36d7ae.jpg
IMG_5618_zpsb8cacdcb.jpg
IMG_5617_zps13ff1473.jpg

Re: Does this annealed brass look ok? First go at it

How does it size? You should be able to tell a difference.

It is hard to judge just by color, mine don't get much color at all, but there is a definite difference in sizing and seating.

The pretty colors you see on some brass is oxidization. Not a direct effect of heat, although heat influences oxidation.

I'd say it looks ok. I always drop one case after annealing a batch. If the case mouth bends too much, over annealed, not at all.... Under annealed. Just a little...perfect. Also I run my brass in s tumbler with Lyman polish before. It helps alot to see the color change. Right when that bluish color starts I drop the case. Looks good to me though. I'm assuming that's a .300 win mag?? Just don't over anneal because a belted case is dangerous as it is.... Just my opinion.

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't tried sizing them yet. I have them air drying right now. The brass is 7mmRM.
Just curious, why are belted cases dangerous? Not being a smart a**, just curious. I am hoping I can get a few more loads out of these. Seems like after a few firings I start seeing some cracked necks.
Thanks again guys. I am always more than welcome to get any feedback.

Because the belted case is a lot likelier to separate at the head. Add that in with over annealing and ouch. Reason is the heat runs down to the head making the case dangerous because it does not have the strength to take the pressure. This is in the extreme though. You don't have anything to worry about. I've got some win brass I've shot 9 times

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because the belted case is a lot likelier to separate at the head. Add that in with over annealing and ouch. Reason is the heat runs down to the head making the case dangerous because it does not have the strength to take the pressure. This is in the extreme though. You don't have anything to worry about. I've got some win brass I've shot 9 times </div></div>

Thought the belted magnum would be more vulnerable to head separation if one was to headspace off of the belt only. In other words if you are headspacing off the shoulder is there a reason it would not be like any of case?

I thought head separation was the result of over stretching brought on by oversizing. In which case a bumping shoulders minimally would alleviate this condition. Like the OP. I'm just asking out of edification here. If I'm wrong or if there is another reason why the belted magnums are more vulnerable I would be interested to learn why.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jchapman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Because the belted case is a lot likelier to separate at the head. Add that in with over annealing and ouch. Reason is the heat runs down to the head making the case dangerous because it does not have the strength to take the pressure. This is in the extreme though. You don't have anything to worry about. I've got some win brass I've shot 9 times </div></div>

Thought the belted magnum would be more vulnerable to head separation if one was to headspace off of the belt only. In other words if you are headspacing off the shoulder is there a reason it would not be like any of case?
I thought head separation was the result of over stretching brought on by oversizing. In which case a bumping shoulders minimally would alleviate this condition. Like the OP. I'm just asking out of edification here. If I'm wrong or if there is another reason why the belted magnums are more vulnerable I would be interested to learn why. </div></div>

I don't object to that at all. I wasn't talking about sizing at all. I merely meant if you get em too hot while annealing and let the heat reach the belt in a "blister of fire" there is a chance of head separation. Remember, I said this is in the extreme.

It is very difficult to tell by color alone. I anneal on a machine and the color of the brass will vary even when the heat and time are consistently applied. As long as you are using the Tempilaq correctly it will provide good results. BTW, I headspace off the shoulder for my 300 WM and get many firings out of my brass. Neck size until the cases start tightly chambering then bump the shoulder approx. .001 with a body die. One thing you will definitely notice with annealing is that the cases not only size easier but will do so more consistently due to uniform hardness.