• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DOF on kestrel

Andrew863

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2018
Russellville KY
I have tried setting dof and the a wind capture. I have also tried setting the target as 12 o clock and the wind direction manually. I'm still un sure which works the best. Even with calibrating the compass it seems inconsistent. So what is your opinion or personal experiences on this.

Gonna need more info. What is "inconsistent" or what issues are you having with your firing solution?

If you're saying that when you set the direction manually vs when you point the kestrel in the direction for reading vs the DOF.......

You're almost never going to be able to manually input the same direction as you get when you use the wind capture direction mode. So they are going to almost always show a different solution.

Something like a wind vane would likely be the most accuracy way of getting the direction.

So even after I calibrate the compass and set direction of fire it's not repeatable. I can do it 10 different time and get 5 or 6 different directions that are slightly different.

I have tried setting dof and the a wind capture. I have also tried setting the target as 12 o clock and the wind direction manually. I'm still un sure which works the best. Even with calibrating the compass it seems inconsistent. So what is your opinion or personal experiences on this.
I don’t like the uncertainty of the auto capture method….(is this thing calibrated?) so I always manual. There are great shooters that use both ways. Some guys swear you need to use degrees to be precise enough…others use clock angle to good effect. Pick a method and practice.

So even after I calibrate the compass and set direction of fire it's not repeatable. I can do it 10 different time and get 5 or 6 different directions that are slightly different.
That was always my experience too. I could do 10 and get 10 different answers at least a couple of which weren’t even close.

I don’t like the uncertainty of the auto capture method….(is this thing calibrated?) so I always manual. There are great shooters that use both ways. Some guys swear you need to use degrees to be precise enough…others use clock angle to good effect. Pick a method and practice.
So do u set the dof at 12 and then just manually set the wind? I have had luck both way but I don't like something not being reputable.

When you're using the wind capture function to set the direction, are you just guessing the direction to the best of your ability and pointing the back of the kestrel?

Or are you using the method where you turn the kestrel sideways and move it until the impeller slows the most or comes to a complete stop, and then using that direction to point the back of the kestrel?

I am guessing the wind direction. I will usually toss some dust or grass to get a good idea. Explain the other method I have never heard of that.

I am guessing the wind direction. I will usually toss some dust or grass to get a good idea. Explain the other method I have never heard of that.
Take a ~12" piece of yarn or the center cord from some 550 and loop it next to the lanyard. You'll have two 6" streamers you can use to see which way the wind is coming from attached to the Kestrel.

The other method is about 1/2 way in this video.

Reactions: carbonbased
Also, don't get too wrapped around it. We are just using the kestrel for a starting point on wind.

The main part will come from your ability to take that starting point and adapt it to your environment.

Turn the knife edge of the kestrel into the wind. Slowly adjust until the impeller stops turning. The edge is now pointed into the wind. Pro tip, get close to the firing position as possible, draw line on ground toward target, do knife edge trick….compare angles.

Reactions: Andrew863
Also, don't get too wrapped around it. We are just using the kestrel for a starting point on wind.

The main part will come from your ability to take that starting point and adapt it to your environment.
For PRS it's not to bad once I start getting over 1500, I really start trying to get more precise. But you are right it's really just a educated guess and only one of many tools we need to use.

Get one of these to establish your cred on match day while also improving your wind analyses.

Reactions: carbonbased
For PRS it's not to bad once I start getting over 1500, I really start trying to get more precise. But you are right it's really just a educated guess and only one of many tools we need to use.

You're getting far less out of wind reading at your location at 1500+ than you are in PRS ranges.

I.E. its even less helpful for ELR than it is for PRS.