• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anderhorn

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2008
Gig Harbor, WA.
Hope this is the right section to post... Looking for opinions on a couple of dog breeds, Please share any experience or knowledge. Im interested in either a Doberman or a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Thank you!

Re: Dog breeds?

What are the reasons you're looking into this breed? Family, protection, etc. If you give a little info on what you want some others will give you info on what you want.

German Shepherd. Most all dogs can be aggressive if not brought up right. Love them and treat them right from the day you get um.

No experience with RRs, but a Doberman would (IMHO) fit the bill pretty well. You need to check out the breeder, and make sure the parents aren't too high strung, but they can be good family dogs and strike a pretty good balance between pet and protection.

The caution about parents, is from seeing a few (parents should never have been selected for breeding) that were nervous and snappy. USUALLY, if the parents are OK, and the pup is raised right, those issues don't exist.

When I was kid some of my parnets friends had a doberman. He was a big teddy bear until someone screwed with his kid then look out. Seemed to be a really good dog. They later bought a female and she was short tempered and snippy. Like earlier posters have said check out the parents.

Been around several Ridgebacks here and in South Africa. I think they are really nice dogs. I would say they aren't as aggresive as a Doberman in most cases.

I vote ridgeback.

I have an American Bulldog and promote them with proper raising as one of the best dogs with children and home protection. From the ABulls ive had they normal warning bark at appropriate times only and bite only when highly, highly provoked by a stranger. My male has never bit anyone but one bark and 99% of would be sales/jahovas wits are outta there.

I have had time with both and love both. Each are good for protection, but Dobies can be somewhat edgey at times. Ridges are the SEALS of the dog world. They can run up to 30 miles and don't have any health issues to speak of as much as other large breeds. Excellent guardians and bravery is not short handed. Somewhat aloof with strangers, tolerant, but wary, excellent with kiddos. One thing I really notice is their wider range of temperature tolerance, Dobies are sissies in bad weather. Ridges are hunting dogs and perform in a wide variety of situations and carry enough size to back it up.
I've also had GSD's and love 'em, but at this point I don't know of another breed that has captured my attention as much as the Ridgeback...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ridiculous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an American Bulldog and promote them with proper raising as one of the best dogs with children and home protection. From the ABulls Ive had they normal warning bark at appropriate times only and bite only when highly, highly provoked by a stranger. My male has never bit anyone but one bark and 99% of would be sales/jahovas wits are outta there. </div></div>

+1 I have a Bulladoor (American bulldog / chocolate lab) That has been the best dog I have ever had. Everything stated above is the same with my dog. We have a new born son (a year old now) that has defiantly tested his level of tolerance and obedience with a child (to say the least, he is all boy :))

his dad is the full blooded American bull dog and lives beside us in the neighborhood so I have person experience with him as well. He demonstrates the same qualities as stated above.

He has made his presence know with his "bark" and Mohawk standing tall in the past when someone unknow approaches the home or a hunting buddy walks in the House ein the morning with the lights off and the rest of the family still sleeping but never once came close to ever bighting anyone.

I always recommend Vizlas. If you've never heard of them look them up. They are a hell of a lot of fun and they make great family dogs. They are natural hunters, and they aim to please. My vizsla is the best dog I've ever had. They are kind of up the ridgeback alley.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anderhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking for a family friendly, indoor, dog that is somewhat protective but not too aggressive. </div></div>

then I would suggest Newfoundlands, most protective loving dogs to my kids I've ever been around. Not your listed breeds but gotta mention them if your talking family friendly loyal relaxed dogs

281.jpg

022.jpg

I had a Newfie and they are wonderful dogs. Highly recommended. I currently have a Bullmastiff and would also recommend them. He is 135 lbs and a very nice dog.

One thing you might consider is looking into the effect of some dog breeds on your homeowner's insurance (if you own your home). Owning certain "protection" breeds may compromise your policy. Just something to consider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rediculous</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an American Bulldog and promote them with proper raising as one of the best dogs with children and home protection. From the ABulls ive had they normal warning bark at appropriate times only and bite only when highly, highly provoked by a stranger. My male has never bit anyone but one bark and 99% of would be sales/jahovas wits are outta there. </div></div>

+1 My AB is as agressive as I allow him to be. He only bites when the food is too close to your fingers! Seriously though, he is a perfect deterent and a 80lb lap dog too. I would trust him 100% around children playing and for their protection. I also would suggest you look into a Boxer. We have 5 of those. I don't think you wanna come in my house without us there
wink.gif

Similar to a Newfie but a bit smaller is the Leonburger. We have one, a runt at 85lbs, that is sweet with family, protective, not noise sensitive, and very smart. Great dogs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always recommend Vizlas. If you've never heard of them look them up. They are a hell of a lot of fun and they make great family dogs. They are natural hunters, and they aim to please. My vizsla is the best dog I've ever had. They are kind of up the ridgeback alley. </div></div>

+1 I shot a lot of quail behind one in high school. That dog had charisma too
grin.gif

German Shorthaired Pointers are the world's best dogs. I should know, I've got four of 'em!
They are smart, biddable, great family dogs, and will hunt birds and small game, as well as track bigger stuff. Very versatile and super friendly, but can be protective.

1911fan

For a family protector there are lots of good choices. But some additional information would be helpful. Do you have a large yard or some place for the dog to run and roam? Are you a runner, hiker, or someone who exercises outdoors? Do you have children now and how old are they? How much time do you have to devote to training?

All of these question have bearing on what dog is right for you. Almost any dog can be a great family pet and once a dog is bonded to you and your family then protection becomes second nature. I'm partial to Mastiffs just because they are big goofs and don't have to be aggressive to run off strangers. Just the sight of a 150+ lbs dog is enough to keep most people at bay. But some other breeds to consider are German Shepards, Dobbermans, Ridgebacks, Newfoundlands, Pit Bulls, and Rottweilers.

When I was young my uncle kept 5 Dobermans (one set of three and a pair)all professionally trained. Three were fair around all the nieces and nephews but two, one in each bunch, was always irritated with us as kids. One got very aggressive with me and my uncle killed it on the spot right in front of me.

There are good and bad of all breeds, socialization with family is key, but for a mild tempered guard dog I'd go with a Mastiff.

Wife had Dobermans growing up and has nothing but good things to say about them. That being said, we have three English bulldogs now, and can't recommend them highly enough for family dogs. Our three absolutely LOVE kids, they can't get anough of them. They require very little excercise and don't get crazy when they are kept in the house for ling periods. Big enough to be intimidating but not so big as to get in the way.

I vote for the Beauceron. Had one as a K9 partner. Good with kids, smart and very, very protective. About the size of a Doberman or Rott. Looks like a cross between the two breeds. An old French breed that has alot of history. I have a Malinois right now and they are a fine breed as well.

I handled a Mal my last year in SF and I have not found a better dog yet. As long as you can give them one good hour a day for exercise they are amazing. I have two now my retired working dog and one we rescued from a kennel. They are amazing animals. The wife takes my working dog on walks a lot so she feels safe. He is a 85 pound Mal who watches the house for me while I am gone. I work two months on two off. If you want to see pics or have questions let me know.

I think a Doberman will be perfect for your needs.

Wife and I bought our own puppy right after we got married. For the first year, she thought she was a lap dog.

VERY gentle, kid friendly, smart, and clean. I would never hesitate to leave her alone with children. We have ours trained to ring a bell when she wants to go outside. She is now pushing 70 lbs so we are not too worried about people entering the yard with her eyeballing them through the fence.

Having lived with 4 dobermans over my life, the only complaints I have is that they seem to have "strong personalities" and like to dig.

I would never consider purchasing a different breed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PKR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always recommend Vizlas. If you've never heard of them look them up. They are a hell of a lot of fun and they make great family dogs. They are natural hunters, and they aim to please. My vizsla is the best dog I've ever had. They are kind of up the ridgeback alley. </div></div>

+1 I shot a lot of quail behind one in high school. That dog had charisma too
grin.gif
</div></div>

I've got Weimeraners (which are just slightly larger, grey Vizlas....or are Vizlas slightly smaller, fawn colored Weims??), and they are the best damned dogs I've ever been around. I've had Labs, Greyhounds, Rotweilers, mutts and some others I can't think of. The Weims are smart, hugely courageous, extremely anxious to please you, aware of their surroundings, and amazing with children. It seems as if they recognize the difference between adults and children, and know to be extra gentle with children. They are well behaved at the dog park and do NOT instigate other dogs. I don't know if they would attack an intruder (I highly doubt it), but they certainly sound off if someone comes near, or so much as touches the door. Like most larger dogs, they sound pretty gnarly.

The downside: They are known to go shopping for food on kitchen counter, and they pretty much demand to sleep in bed with you.

2011-03-08_20-02-24_212.jpg

2011-02-02_21-51-23_861.jpg

2011-01-17_15-28-04_226.jpg

2011-01-17_15-27-44_944.jpg

2011-01-08_13-36-51_946.jpg

I have owned or been around many of the large breeds of dogs.I have personally owned the Doberman and think highly of them..The one I had loved to Run so if you live in an apt it would think twice about it.. Also I have had a Bullmastiff for 8 years.. Check them out,, Bull headed but very low key..He did not like the heat... Also if you live where it snows alot or is cold, I would reccomend the "Akit".. Had one of those and could not of asked for a better dog around children and a Plus was that she did not constantly Bark... Anyway + 2 on checking the Insurance. My homeowners has a black list of 5 seperate dogs that you cannot own... My Highschool sweetheart is one of the largest breeders of the American Bulldog.. Johnson Breed.. look up Cedar Creek kennels and give Dixie a call.. She has dogs of all ages and can give specifics if it will be a good match for your family. And I also believe with the bigger dogs it is important for you to establish "Alpha" male status early on..
Remember to Research...alot of places first..
Good luck.
George of the jungle

I love my Rott. Good with the kids, protective, very intelligent and intimidating to unwanted visitors.

Ridgebacks are great dogs I have two males that are around 2.5 years old they are great with my family exspecially my young daughter, although they are very protective of her. They are not a good bread if your gonna just keep them couped up they need exercise at the very least every few days if not they will shed your couch, been there done that. Here's a few picks from this last winter

fall2010winter2011023.jpg

fall2010winter2011029.jpg

Get a boxer and be done with it already.
wink.gif
Whatever you decide to bring home, just make sure you buy a pup and let it grow into it's place in the family hierarchy. It's just a much safer undertaking if you have kids in the home.

Loved my ridgeback !!!!!!!!!! Loved to play, high energy and the breed is famous for getting along with kids great. Great family protectors (not in a mean way). As they are high energy - make sure you have plenty of yard and walk them 2 times a day (I walked mine 2 hours a day). My other 2 great dogs right now are a treeing walker coon hound and a great pyrenees. Both incredible breeds. Highly recomended.

My Boxer /pit mix is the best so far and she is a rescue from a local vet. I foster all her unwanted pits . I prefer females for house dogs and find them smarter and more protective. That sad I have had alot of dogs and trained (my Dad ran a training school)many breeds, The breed is only a start point each dog is different and is a product of its master. The best bloodline in the world don't mean crap if you don't raise them right.
Scot

Ridgebacks and Dobermans will both require daily exercise, just something you may want to keep in mind. My vote would be for the ridgeback as my experience with dobermans has been hit/miss as far as their personalities go.

best dog ive ever had was a border collie x husky. protective and extremely energetic. best looking and friendliest is my current border collie

I ahve had good experiences with Dobe's that my friend used to own. They were loyal, protective, but sort of dumb.

That is why I went with a German Shorthair Pointer, they are almost too smart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ahve had good experiences with Dobe's that my friend used to own. They were loyal, protective, but sort of dumb.

That is why I went with a German Shorthair Pointer, they are almost too smart. </div></div>

Every doberman I have owned has been annoyingly smart. Meaning, they can open doors, trashcans, tell time, know how to hide when they are doing something they shouldn't be, etc.

My family has our second Ridgeback now. Great dogs with really great personalities and very smart. Definitely a big +1 on them needing a lot of exercise to burn off some steam though. Not a bad thing at all but they do require attention.

Just bought a Jagdterrier for hunting. I pick her up in the middle of oct after she is 8 weeks old.
They are pretty badass little hunting dogs. Check some youtube videos if you have never heard of them.

Weimeraners are by far the best dogs we've ever had. They are loyal, loving, and over the top smart. They're especially drawn to children and will guard the house too. I can't say enough good about them. The previous poster was right, they WILL counter surf. Known as the "Velcro Dog"

DO NOT get a Great Dane.

We adopted a 1.5yr female a little while back and she is the source of 90% of my annoyance each day. Just obnoxious. Unless you like a 150lb dog knocking into you, trying to sleep with you, trying to lay on you, desperately trying to sit on you, stepping on your feet.....

Think less of a loving breed and more rape.

Something to consider with the Dobe is if it will be able to handle the cold weather. They can be a little less tolerant of it at times.
Personally I think its hard to beat an AIREDALE.
Hard to beat! Can do just about anything you want it to do an ask for more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anderhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope this is the right section to post... Looking for opinions on a couple of dog breeds, Please share any experience or knowledge. Im interested in either a Doberman or a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Thank you! </div></div>

I do standard Poodles, hypo allergenic, top three in smarts of all dog breeds, great retrievers, and once used to hunt lions. And they have no characteristics of the little yappy ones. Standards average 45lbs and a Royal Standard is 75+ lbs.

Picture047.jpg

Picture049.jpg

^^ Nice fro lol

I'm surprised no one has said this yet but labs make amazing family dogs. I have had six of them and they have all been amazing with kids and families. They are good around welcome strangers and mine only bark when something fishy is going on. As with any dog check the pedigree and avoid those from puppy mills cause they tend to be inbread or just messed up

The Labradoodle. Cross between a Labrador Retriever and Standard Poodle. Dogs are very loving, gentle and intelligent. In fact, they are too smart. Our Labradoodle, Bernie is always a chapter ahead of me and I swear that the dog could drive a car, if you took the keys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rojerronny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Labradoodle. Cross between a Labrador Retriever and Standard Poodle. Dogs are very loving, gentle and intelligent. In fact, they are too smart. Our Labradoodle, Bernie is always a chapter ahead of me and I swear that the dog could drive a car, if you took the keys. </div></div>

Few people don't realize that the full size poodle was originally used as a hunting dog. There coat was excellent for cold water. They are very smart, so I could imagine a Golden Retriever and a Poodle mix, might make a fine companion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anderhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking for a family friendly, indoor, dog that is somewhat protective but not too aggressive. </div></div>

Boxer.

EDIT: I must warn you that my boxer/american bulldog is very near and dear to me and I've been biased to boxers ever since I owned one, but... she's probably in the top five dumbest dogs I know. Smart enough to sit when told. Dumb enough to chase a grasshopper off a cliff.

-Travis

If shedding isn't an issue I would recommend a Golden Retriever or a Lab if it is. They are great with kids, very friendly, loyal, protective, but non-aggressive. I have a Retriever and he's been great with my kids since they were born and he's a fantastic companion, and a damn good hunting dog.

My buddy has a ridgeback, great dog. Super smart, great with the kids but as stated above they do need some place to do a little running but unlike alot of the dogs mentioned, his is not hyper. My buddies dog may be an exception thou, don't really know alot about the breed. She spends alot of time just laying around but is very affectionate as well. She want to play when you want to play with her but when you don't she will leave you alone. They also have short hair, which is good if you want to keep inside.

Somone said lab earlier, which I totaly agree with, great dog all around. The same person said they were good for inside compared to golden retriver. This may be true when compared to a golden retriver but every lab I have owned has sheded horribly. Especially twice a year when they lose there winter coat and when the winter coat grows in. They shed horribly all year and I use shedding brush with a regular bush on my lab all the time and still get huge fur balls floating all over the house. Also every lab I have owned and been around is somewhat hyper especailly till they are 2 years old. Don't get me wrong, I would pick a lab over any dog but they do have there downsides. Also, they need their excercise or they will get overweight very easily, at least in my experience, even on a strict diet.