• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dogtown 55gr HP: any experience with these?

Stringer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2008
PRK
Just got a few 55gr HP "Dogtown" bullets from Midway. My intent was to make a cheap .223 plinking round for the AR.

Questions to people with experience with loading these bullets for .223:

1. I'm concerned mostly about COAL. These are really short bullets, and anything longer than 2.200" seems like the bullet isn't seated deep enough.

2. What powders and loads did you try?

Thanks!

Re: Midway Dogtown bullets for .223

Thanks very much, I've heard the same thing
smile.gif

But right now, I'd love some advice on the Dogtown 55 gr FBHPs, if anyuone has any experience with them
smile.gif

They shoot pretty straight and true out of my bolt rifle with a 1 in 9 twist. I was surprised by the accuracy.

What was your load? Specifically what was OAL?

Midway Varmint Nightmare and Midsouth Dogtown bullets shoot well, but the soft point ones will contaminate the moly coating equipment.

The hollow point ones are ok.

I need to clarify: I am interested in the OAL that people are seating them.

Any other advice on powders and such from those with experience is welcome and appreciated.

I realized the wording in my original post was not clear. Edited so that it's not lame and confusing! The important questions:

1. I'm concerned mostly about COAL. These are really short bullets, and anything longer than 2.200" seems like the bullet isn't seated deep enough.

2. What powders and loads did you try?

Thanks very much!

I can get my brother's load data for you, but be aware: He's had to dispose of a bunch of Dogtowns because they grenade through his 9-twist Savage bolt gun. Hopefully my memory is failing me and this has only happened with the 50-grainers.

FYI, I have no connection to these.

I verified what my brother's blowing bullets up with: 55-grain Dogtowns @ 3100 fps out of his 9-twist Savage. I see someone else up above not having trouble with the bullets grenading at this speed & twist, so all I can think is that Midway gets these from a number of suppliers, and there are differences between the lots/suppliers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI, I have no connection to these.

had me wondering for a minute...LOL

Was shooting them this weekend. I used 23.8gr of Ramshot TAC and I seated them fairly long, like 2.24". They were pacing my Nosler Competition 69gr in terms of accuracy.

Still surprises me.

I use them all the time for Pd's and some plinking. Sometimes you can get the Hornady SP's for a little bit cheaper then the dogtowns. Either way I load them to 2.260 for mag length and I use TAC,Benchmark, and Varget mostly Varget because I can get it closer then I can the other 3! Either way they are great bullets!

Accruate Arms 2460: 23.8 grains at 2.255 - works well in my AR's

Thanks for your help fellas! I'm surprised how far our some of you guys are seating these. I tried them the past weekend and was seating them to 2.20" over 25 gr H4895 and got ~2MOA accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MZ5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get my brother's load data for you, but be aware: He's had to dispose of a bunch of Dogtowns because they grenade through his 9-twist Savage bolt gun. Hopefully my memory is failing me and this has only happened with the 50-grainers. </div></div>

Although I've never tried the hollow points, I've loaded a bunch of the 50 grain, soft points in my 223s, and 55 grain, soft points for my .22-250 without any issues. I was really surprised at how accurate they are.

i ran varget behind them in a 1-9 bushy varminter i think i was right at 3k or 3150fps with them its been a while. but they shot around .7moa worked great on praire dogs very explosive and cheap

were i going to shoot them this summer that is what i would have loaded up for my ar

hi newbie here, I recently loaded 100 55gr dogtown hp with 25.5 grains benchmark (25.6 is max) c.o.l. at 2.199. so far the accuracy seems to be about 1" groups at 100 yards. I get about .75 inch groups with 55gr sierra boat tail soft points c.o.l. 2.256. I was spotting for my brother when I observed one blow apart right out of the bore. I have a savage model 10 1-9 twist.