• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dope card

JOrisman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2018
Omaha, NE
What do you guys run to quickly write and see what your dope is? I currently use a wrist coach but open to other ideas! Thanks!

I found a plastic sleeve intended to protect a cell phone to be pretty handy. 10 bucks at REI, made by Seattle Sports. This is the iPhone 5 model, which is just right for a 3x5" card, or in my case, a folded up piece of paper that I printed out. Size is similar to a box of ammo, and there is an elastic band on the back you can use to clip on wrist or equipment to keep from blowing away. Best part is just hitting print to make an updated version.

Last edited:
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG

I found a plastic sleeve intended to protect a cell phone to be pretty handy. 10 bucks at REI, made by Seattle Sports. This is the iPhone 5 model, which is just right for a 3x5" card, or in my case, a folded up piece of paper that I printed out. Size is similar to a box of ammo, and there is an elastic band on the back you can use to clip on wrist or equipment to keep from blowing away. Best part is just hitting print to make an updated version.

Love it! Way to think outside the box! I'm usually too lazy to do what you did and pay whatever to accomplish a simple task, not to mention not creative enough! :) Thanks.
Mike

Reactions: JOrisman
I don't think you can beat a wrist coach like what's made by Sunrise Tactical

I think the problem with wrist coach style dope/data holders is its overall size, it moving around on your forearm, sweating through it.

I recently ordered a "Gen 2" wrist board from Sunrise Tactical. Shipping was very quick and I've been able to use it a little so far. I really like it, especially the 3 shock cords to attach to your arm. Each one is tightened differently to adjust to the taper of your forearm. It doesn't move around at all. I usually just run just one card, but you have to ability to open it up and have a second (or third if you use the inside of the top flap). My solution is to write dope on a pocket size tan Rite-In-The-Rain notebook then tear the page out and slide it in the wrist board.

I've shot matches in the pouring rain, anything other than true rite in the rain paper wouldn't last through the stage. Especially stages with lots of movement, running, climbing, etc.

Laminated on the top front of the buttstock and occasionally on the scope tube when there's not much and it's small.

The “handy” is a great piece of gear especially for summertime. If I’m shooting a comp and just need to throw down dope for stages or if I have warming layers on it goes over them just fine.
If I’m wanting to hold more data and some cards I’ll run my old wrist coach

Reactions: LongArm
This is the HDC Gear Handy referred to above. I've personally never had good luck with wrist coaches. I've never needed that much info to fill up a wrist coach. That being said I don't go on 3 day patrols or extended sniper missions. I believe that this is the best competition data holder and patrol holder ever made.
top forearm.jpg
stay handy 2.jpg
stay house.jpg
rifle stock.jpg
forearm rifle.jpg
forearm inside.jpg

Last edited:
I just stated to sell this solution. It attaches with zero tools to an "in specification" picatinny rail. The cards are easily pulled out and will not fall out. I have three different colors and two different pen options on my website. I also have demo movie showing how it works

www.Yow-Tech.com
Let me know if you have any questions.
DOPE Colors.jpg

DOPE-G-PK.jpg

Last edited:
I keep something like this in the base page of my base wrist coach, but run the stages in the first flap-

the card shown 2-3/4x4-1/2 gives me a large temp swing to work with. In this case 50 degrees- I only list the changes from the main temp I expect to shoot.
46D674F5-A503-4BAF-B045-459CAC2366BB.jpeg

Stage page— prePrintrd if the book is provided before the match - otherwise I leave the info blank/ I fold it over so I get more stages when flipped open on the back side. (Note the two cards are not from the same shooting area. The generic drop chart is from today at 23inHg)
2E667B19-50AC-479E-8A26-BB0C1F3DCCA0.jpeg

But I also use a sidewinder if it’s really hot or cold

Last edited:
Reactions: seansmd and TACC
@Apnea Did you use an app to generate your dope card or set it up in an Excel type spreadsheet ?

Sorry @CaptNemo, I never noticed replies to this posting. I used Hornady 4DOF and downloaded the file. After that I took what I wanted in Excel and formatted to fit the size I wanted. You could run a few different sets of environmentals and print and then pick one closest to your current situation. Since it is just a sheet of paper you can easily write updates on it before the match starts.

@Diver160651 is there a reason you go by temp instead of DA? I've though about using DA since it takes temperature into account, but perhaps there's something I'm not thinking of.

@Diver160651 is there a reason you go by temp instead of DA? I've though about using DA since it takes temperature into account, but perhaps there's something I'm not thinking of.
Yes, Station is super consistent day to day at given location, temp is not.

Wind and optical issues aside, temp is by far the biggest factor in DA and easiest to account for with the fewest tools.

The net result is that it simply is faster and easier to adjust even just using your head

I use the X-Ring rail mounted data system. It works great and is indestructible. Another good option is the Blamm data card holder.

This is the HDC Gear Handy referred to above. I've personally never had good luck with wrist coaches. I've never needed that much info to fill up a wrist coach. That being said I don't go on 3 day patrols or extended sniper missions. I believe that this is the best competition data holder and patrol holder ever made.View attachment 6918772View attachment 6918773View attachment 6918774View attachment 6918775View attachment 6918776View attachment 6918777
Where do you find the pvc patch dope cards?

After lots of feedback on the Yow-Tech DOPE card holder we made 4 big changes.

First, The card size and card type has been changed. Based on feedback from national shooters we redesigned the holder to accommodate a more robust card that is as thick as a credit card.

Second we changed the way the holder is assembled. We now use screws vs. glue to build a very strong product.

Third, we once again changed the rail clamp material to an even stronger and less brittle Carbon fiber filled resin that can survive the heat without deformation.

Forth, we changed the pen to correctable version with an intergraded eraser.

www.Yow-Tech.com

Attachments

• V3 Colors.jpg
    V3 Colors.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 81
  • Black V3.jpg
    Black V3.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: Sam19kilo
Wanted to toss a few mine into here.

Tape on, as well as the handy. Custom cards for the handy are easy to make, swap every 2,000 foot DA.

IMG_20181113_190920.jpg

IMG_20181113_190954.jpg
IMG_20181113_191038.jpg

Best thing I have found is one of those big paper clips on my front scope cap an a index card cut in half

For years I tried a number of different techniques (labels on the stock, labels on the optic, scope cap DOPE, rail mounted DOPE cards, wrist cards. Eventually I got together with an engineer and machinist buddy and designed a device that plugs right into a QD sling stud. It rotates freely on 360 degree studs, so we call it the DOPE Roller:

Wow, lots of great ideas here, thanks.

I use gear tie wrapped around my scope tube. I attach the tie to an alligator clip and that’s what holds my dope card

For years I tried a number of different techniques (labels on the stock, labels on the optic, scope cap DOPE, rail mounted DOPE cards, wrist cards. Eventually I got together with an engineer and machinist buddy and designed a device that plugs right into a QD sling stud. It rotates freely on 360 degree studs, so we call it the DOPE Roller:

That looks pretty awesome! May I suggest a few taglines for it........LOL

"Get high from winning the match not smoking it"
"Roll your dope and light the match on fire"
"When you have a Dope Roller all you need is a match to burn"
"Dope Roller this one's legal"
"Legal in all 50 states except probably causes cancer in CA"

Feel free to use any of them, but hey how about a freebie if you do.......LOL

For shooting matches, is there an advantage to wrist/forearm mounted cards versus rifle mounted? Or is it simply personal preference? I’m new to the sport and have been thinking about adding something to write dope on.

Lots of great suggestions. I was just using masking tape and a sharpie

Football wrist coach. They're made of moisture wicking material generally so I don't find sweat an issue. I like the wrist coach because it doesn't stick out at all and it's generally easy to read. The rifle mounted ones I have bumped on barricades because they stick out. 3x5 recipe cards fit perfectly in them and will stay out of the rain. I generally write dope for 2-3 stages on one card.

Just recently I picked up a 3x5 booklet of rite-in-the-rain paper I'm going to use on wetter days.

If there are multiple targets in complicated terrain, like at the Steel Safari, it helps me to be able to mark their relative location and their dope on the device....I use a dry erase marker on my wrist coach or map board.

That looks pretty awesome! May I suggest a few taglines for it........LOL

"Get high from winning the match not smoking it"
"Roll your dope and light the match on fire"
"When you have a Dope Roller all you need is a match to burn"
"Dope Roller this one's legal"
"Legal in all 50 states except probably causes cancer in CA"

Feel free to use any of them, but hey how about a freebie if you do.......LOL

The funniest part is that they recently started growing and harvesting Hemp on the range that we hold our match series at.... and get this, it's called the Highlands Sportsmen's Club!

I took a photo with the DOPE Roller in its natural surroundings at a match earlier this fall. Please note the lovely surrounding foliage :giggle:

Attachments

• IMG_5637.JPG
    IMG_5637.JPG
    441.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Haha
Reactions: Steel+Killer
I really like the Sidewinder. A number of people have said they look flimsy relative to some other offerings. This particular one has been used in a variety of field matches and dragged on a number of stalks and I have never had an issue of any kind.

I have found the easiest way to use them is with write in the rain paper and pen. Using the erasable/alcohol wipe method is slower, sometimes messy, a pain when things get wet, and more stuff to keep organized. YMMV.

IMG_0606.jpg

Reactions: TACC
I have tried several different options, the one mounted on my riffle would never stay in place and was too small, tried others on my forearm and too big and would slide down and others on my hand would get covered up when I shot prone. For PRS shooting finally found this new option that is easy to write on and stays in place. Found it at www.nwballisticsdopecard.com

Attachments

• 49F85785-5877-4100-9333-DF049647193A.jpeg
    49F85785-5877-4100-9333-DF049647193A.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 47