• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dope not matching closer distances

nelama

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2021
Uk
Hi,

Thanks for having me.

I am having an issue with my dope, o kestrel mv calibration tells me to calibrate my MV at 920 meters, I do it at 911 meters, all good that far, when I try the dope at closer distances, (460 meters kestrel says 2.7mil but really is 25.mil) it does not match.

I input the speed in strelok and it is consistent with the kestrel, but it is still high at shorter distances, check the obivious scope hight, scope trak etc.

Please help, it never happen with any other rifles, just this one, 'm only changing MV not BC

thanks in advance

More info could help to offer more insight. What cartridge, what bullet, measured velocity and calibrated velocity?

What is the rifle setup?

What's the environment and load specs?

Can't help without those to cross reference to see whether we have the same solutions.

If we do. Then we can rule out your solver. Its then you or your gun/scope.

Simple. It won't ever match up. At least not totally. And depending on components it never will.

thanks for the replies so far.
I'm using a bergara hmr wilderness in 6.5 creed on a mdt acc chassis.
the load is VV n160 41.8 grn with lapua brass federal primers and hornady 140grn eldm
in terms of enviromentals it is pretty much the same ( I tried this on 3 diferent ocasitions) 18-16 degress celcius
scope offset is right, measure it several times

What is the rifle setup?

What's the environment and load specs?

Can't help without those to cross reference to see whether we have the same solutions.

If we do. Then we can rule out your solver. Its then you or your gun/scope.
at the moment anything could be the problem, I did this on several other rifles and calibres and never happened

AB solver I assume? Are you using G1, G7, or CDM? The CDM are much easier to get to line up and you can’t really true them either so mv is all you can do. There should be a large number of CDM available for 140gr ELDM and a different one might line up better.

If running G1 or G7 you can true to 600 using mv and true bc after that.

I’ve had luck sometimes deleting the profile completely and entering the real world data from scratch. Some minute insidious setting off that I couldn’t seem to locate….

Your real world data is the real key to lining up your software

AB solver I assume? Are you using G1, G7, or CDM? The CDM are much easier to get to line up and you can’t really true them either so mv is all you can do. There should be a large number of CDM available for 140gr ELDM and a different one might line up better.

If running G1 or G7 you can true to 600 using mv and true bc after that.

I’ve had luck sometimes deleting the profile completely and entering the real world data from scratch. Some minute insidious setting off that I couldn’t seem to locate….

Your real world data is the real key to lining up your software
Hi and thanks for the reply.
Yes I'm using CDm and will be trying the g7 in a few weeks.
I can only see one cdm profile for 140grn horndy eldm, where can I find more?

Also, strelok on g7 gives me the same results as kestrel on cdm (+- .4 mills)

Hi and thanks for the reply.
Yes I'm using CDm and will be trying the g7 in a few weeks.
I can only see one cdm profile for 140grn horndy eldm, where can I find more?

Also, strelok on g7 gives me the same results as kestrel on cdm (+- .4 mills)
I access the PDM using the Kestrel app on my phone before syncing with the Kestrel. There are many to choose from.

Sure you are truly zeroed at the distance you entered (laser/tape measured distance and app measured ATZ on the target)? Are your fundamentals solid? What is basically an error of 2 clicks can be either or a combination of both.

Sure you are truly zeroed at the distance you entered (laser/tape measured distance and app measured ATZ on the target)? Are your fundamentals solid? What is basically an error of 2 clicks can be either or a combination of both.
indeed it can be, I will be double checking that and all the rest next time I go to the range, thanks for your reply

My plan is to do the following on my next range visit.
check zero
try again to true kestrel as kestrel people advise with a cdm profile (at 920m)
try trueing kestrel a 600m and true MV then to 1000 and true BC with a G7 profile
if all else fails, try and try again with manual dope every 100 meters
thanks